steel frame with carbon triangle

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by John Meerse, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. John Meerse

    John Meerse Guest

    Does a carbon rear triangle add weight to a steel frame? I'm looking for a new steel frame, and have
    narrowed the possibilities down to one with, one without.

    Comments?

    Thanks, John

    Tags:

  2. Maurizio

    Maurizio Guest

    "John Meerse" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does a carbon rear triangle add weight to a steel frame? I'm looking for a new steel frame, and
    > have narrowed the possibilities down to one with, one without.

    Don't know about the weight. I think it adds price.

    Ciao Maurizio, Bologna, Italy

  3. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Maurizio" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"John Meerse" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Does a carbon rear triangle add weight to a steel frame? I'm looking for a new steel frame, and
    >> have narrowed the possibilities down to one with, one without.
    >
    >Don't know about the weight. I think it adds price.

    It also adds opportunity for failure that a plain ol' steel frame won't have. The other thing to
    consider is that if the cycling world decides this isn't a good idea and stops building "two fork
    bikes", they'll be the equivalent of purple anodized parts on a MTB in a few years.

  4. Raymo853

    Raymo853 Guest

    The claim is they reduce weight, reduce vibration and make you more fashionable.

    I suspect it reduced weight a little and reduced vibrations just a tab for a steel frame. It adds
    the possibility of trouble with breakage down the road.

    "Maurizio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "John Meerse" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Does a carbon rear triangle add weight to a steel frame? I'm looking for a new steel frame, and
    > > have narrowed the possibilities down to one with, one without.
    >
    > Don't know about the weight. I think it adds price.
    >
    > Ciao Maurizio, Bologna, Italy

  5. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    "Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The claim is they reduce weight, reduce vibration and make you more fashionable.
    >
    > I suspect it reduced weight a little and reduced vibrations just a tab
    for a
    > steel frame. It adds the possibility of trouble with breakage down
    the
    > road.

    I have been told that carbon forks (front and back) reduce "buzz." Getting a buzz used to be a good
    thing, at least back when I was in college. -- Jay Beattie.

  6. John-<< Does a carbon rear triangle add weight to a steel frame? >><BR><BR>

    Yes...

    << I'm looking for a new steel frame, and have narrowed the possibilities down to one with, one
    without. >><BR><BR>

    What on earth will carbon seat stays or even a carbon rear end do to help the performance of a
    steel(or ti for that matter) frameset???

    Yikes...marketing run amuck!!!!

  7. [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > John-<< Does a carbon rear triangle add weight to a steel frame? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Yes...
    >
    > << I'm looking for a new steel frame, and have narrowed the possibilities down to one with, one
    > without. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > What on earth will carbon seat stays or even a carbon rear end do to help the performance of a
    > steel(or ti for that matter) frameset???

    It helps the financial performance of the builder, it is faster/cheaper to glue on the rear triangle
    as opposed to all those brazed joints and carefully filed lugs. ;-)

    > Yikes...marketing run amuck!!!!

    Carbon rear triangles are the McRib sandwiches of bikedom. Blow molded, plastic imitations of the
    real thing.

    > Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria

    I'll take a Pinarello Dogma, it'll look cool next to a Bates. Goofytech, is not just a carbon thing.

    Scott Goldsmith

  8. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    "Maurizio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "John Meerse" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Does a carbon rear triangle add weight to a steel frame? I'm looking for a new steel frame, and
    > > have narrowed the possibilities down to one with, one without.
    >
    > Don't know about the weight. I think it adds price.
    >
    > Ciao Maurizio, Bologna, Italy

    Yes, the carbon rear triangle adds weight as compared to a bike without a rear triangle. But it
    lightens your bank account for symmetry's sake.

    App

  9. Roofi

    Roofi Guest

    Interesting reading......

    http://www.llewellynbikes.com/materialparts.htm

    news:[email protected]... Scott-<< It helps the financial performance of
    the builder, >><BR><BR>

    you can say that twice, twice. Geezzzz, makers of framesets with carbon plugs and inserts and such
    in them can't even agree as to what they do. Aluminum says makes it more complient, titanium says it
    makes it stiffer...compact is the 'answer'...yikes again.