Steel frames - carbon forks????

janiejones

Jul 8, 2005
I have heard it said that carbon forks are lovely with a steel frame, but I have also heard it said that only "steel forks for steel frames"

So what do people think, I have ridden steel frames with steel forks and aluminium frames with steel and carbon forks but never steel and carbon together, but it sounds and looks nice and I'm very tempted.

I swapped over from a 531 fork to a TIME Stiletto fork and couldn't tell much difference in the ride quality.
The main reason for the change was to raise the bars and get them closer to the stem. the old quill stem was starting to creak and past it's used by date.

one big advantage is swapping over and going threadless is the range of stems available, ecen for 1" threadless.

janiejones said:
"steel forks for steel frames"
Did you hear this from someone riding with toe clips and a leather helmet? The only reason I can possibly think of for not putting a carbon fork on a steel frame is that a lot of older steel frames were designed for forks with much longer legs and more rake than is currently available in carbon.

janiejones said:
I have heard it said that carbon forks are lovely with a steel frame, but I have also heard it said that only "steel forks for steel frames"
Some people are hooked on retro and consider it blasphemy to update a "vintage" bike which are mostly steel.

I ride a Columbus steel frame with a Columbus carbon fork. Very nice ride!

I ride the same as DMF and I agree that steel and carbon is a very nice mix.

I have a Colnago Master~X~Lite that came with a Colnago steel fork. I upgraded to the Colnago Flash carbon fork. Same great handling, improved ride, and lighter fork.

I think there is something to be said that you can still buy this frame today, and it comes with a carbon fork.

artmichalek said:
Did you hear this from someone riding with toe clips and a leather helmet? The only reason I can possibly think of for not putting a carbon fork on a steel frame is that a lot of older steel frames were designed for forks with much longer legs and more rake than is currently available in carbon.
Yes, and a woollen jersey.