Steel really does have a nice ride

dbackmtg

Oct 9, 2005
I decided to throw a leg over my steel steed today after many weeks of it sitting in the wings. I don't know what it is about that bike but it just has so much more of a plush ride than my aluminum/cf bike. I've done this switch many times and it's the same always, the steel feels better. I wonder how it compares to an all carbon fiber bike? Sounds like a good reason to go buy one doesn't it? Time to go talk to the wife.

I've got an all carbon bike, the thing is a rocket. I used to have a aluminum/carbon bike, but the all carbon is so much stiffer, it feels completely different, it is a LOT faster, and handles completely different.

dbackmtg said:
I II wonder how it compares to an all carbon fiber bike? Sounds like a good reason to go buy one doesn't it? Time to go talk to the wife.
I've got two steel bikes, a Gios and a Masi, and one carbon bike, a Felt. The Felt has the plushest ride and the stiffest response to my pedaling. It also feels dead. The Gios, having the steepest angles and shortest wheelbase, has the harshest ride and the lightest steering. The Masi, my most recent acquisition, is by no means "stiff," but responds to my pedaling in a delightfully springy manner. It also has the potential to fit me the best should I find the right 44 cm handlebar and 11.5 cm quill stem. When I get a decent saddle and wheels on the Masi I'd like to do an A-B-C test on my one-hour training loop.

Just to ******** a few morons..."Steel Is Real!".

I've ridden TI and carbon...they're usually good in the ride department and always weigh less than my steel rigs.

Still, there is just something about a lively steel frame that I've yet to see in the Ti and carbon bikes I've been on. I have no expirience with modern alloy frames, but the early ones were just horrible.

oldbobcat said:
I've got two steel bikes, a Gios and a Masi, and one carbon bike, a Felt. The Felt has the plushest ride and the stiffest response to my pedaling. It also feels dead. The Gios, having the steepest angles and shortest wheelbase, has the harshest ride and the lightest steering. The Masi, my most recent acquisition, is by no means "stiff," but responds to my pedaling in a delightfully springy manner. It also has the potential to fit me the best should I find the right 44 cm handlebar and 11.5 cm quill stem. When I get a decent saddle and wheels on the Masi I'd like to do an A-B-C test on my one-hour training loop.

I've tested my two bikes twice so far. My alum./carb bike is much faster. 2 min. on my 15 mile ride. I believe that has to do to the fact that the steel is big for me and has the wrong gearing, (53/42/30-- 11/23) 42-23 is not enough for hills but the 30-23 is way low. The ride of the steel is much better in my opinion. Maybe it has to do with it is my first road bike and I'm really attached to it.

CAMPYBOB said:
Just to ******** a few morons..."Steel Is Real!".

I've ridden TI and carbon...they're usually good in the ride department and always weigh less than my steel rigs.

Still, there is just something about a lively steel frame that I've yet to see in the Ti and carbon bikes I've been on. I have no expirience with modern alloy frames, but the early ones were just horrible.

I'm actually interested in test riding the Jamis Eclipse. I wonder how the Steel/carbon rides?

Though the materials do influence the ride, any bike of any material can be designed to be plush or harsh... I know someone who gave up her Ti racing bike because it was too stiff and too harsh, and Ti is usually known for its easy ride.
My old steel bike was no more plush than the alu-carbon one that I replaced it with (used to suffer from buzzy hand on the steel one). My ti bike with a carbon seatpost and front fork is the smoothest ride I have, but my all carbon bike is snappier and quicker, while not being much more buzzy than the Ti bike (yeah - I have / had a lot of bikes)

I'm going to be picking up my Jamis Quest Friday. I chose the steel frame after seeing that the weight difference was not that huge. Everyone here who has one is really happy with it - the Quest that is. I am optimistic about it. This is my first road bike and I'll be long in the saddle, so I'm hoping what I hear about the "plush" ride is true. My LBS seems to think I'm going to be thrilled and they've been right about everything so far!

I'll check in after my 50 mile ride Sunday! I should really know by then!

GinaNY said:
I chose the steel frame after seeing that the weight difference was not that huge.
Another advantage of steel is that it can be cold set, repaired, and repainted, usually for much less than the cost of a new frame. The amateur racers of my era were constantly getting our steel frames fixed.

I can ride more efficiently on my aluminum frame bike, but nothing that I have ridden beats my steel frame bikes for comfort.