Steel Riders- paint care?

lucien2

Jul 29, 2004
I'm somewhat new to road riding, but not to cycling. After 10 years on an MTB I ponied up for a road bike. Given the harsh road conditions in my area, I opted for steel. After only a few miles (100 or so) I notice that the paint on the chainstays is taking a bit of a beating. I've changed the rear tube twice and derailed the chain a couple of times. I'm just a little surprised, because as I survey the old steel bikes in my collection, they seem to be sporting just a few minimal nicks after many years.

I figure maybe this bike has got thinner paint (race-oriented steel road frame versus boat-anchor MTB). Any advice about care and feeding of my new obsession's paint? I gave it a light waxing today (except in the hard to reach bits) but I don't know what to do about all the chips. Most expose the primer, but a couple I see metal.

Carnauba wax is your freind. I know some friends who wax weekly. Shiny does not rust.
For the chainstay chips, Look into a Lizard Skin chainstay protector. I use them on my MTBs for noise suppression as well as chips. It is a strip of wetsuit with velcro that wraps the stay. It works as a second defense for rust when it absorbs oil also.
There are several threads for internal frame rust, which is a more critical matter, as it can be more insidious.

Suggest paint chips be covered with a touchup paint. You may be able to get matching paint from your bike dealer, or find a color close enough at the auto parts store or hobby shop. Just a small drop on the chip with a toothpick or brush should do it. Where the bare metal is exposed, primer first would be good. Scrape off any surface rust and clean the steel with solvent before applying the primer of course.

I'm not sold on wax or chainstay protectors as a rust preventative. Believe keeping the paint clean and dry is the best way to prevent rust.

If you are lazy like me just use clear nail polish. Not very pretty, but prevents rust.

As Connie said...Carnuba. Just like waxing the clearcoat on your car. For the stays...I use a clear adhesive mylar film...use it on the top tube as well to prevent chipping. Mylar film is sold in 10' X 2" rolls and great for protecting tubing for tie wrapping computer pickups as well as protecting graphics on cranksets...great stuff.
George

For chainstays a Liszard skin protector is my definite fav.
For the rest of the frame impact zones the mylar is a good and if done propperly, a stylish option.

biker7 said:
As Connie said...Carnuba. Just like waxing the clearcoat on your car. For the stays...I use a clear adhesive mylar film...use it on the top tube as well to prevent chipping. Mylar film is sold in 10' X 2" rolls and great for protecting tubing for tie wrapping computer pickups as well as protecting graphics on cranksets...great stuff.
George

What sort of a shop sells Mylar? Sounds great as my steel chainstays and crankset are getting a real beating.

Tonto, Colorodacyclist.com is where I purchased a roll. Not expensive.

Great stuff. The Lizard Skin that Connie mentioned is quite popular for the chainstay. I have a factory vinyl chainstay protector on my new Bianchi that I covered with mylar to protect the graphics :)
HTH,
George

biker7 said:
Tonto, Colorodacyclist.com is where I purchased a roll. Not expensive.

Great stuff. The Lizard Skin that Connie mentioned is quite popular for the chainstay. I have a factory vinyl chainstay protector on my new Bianchi that I covered with mylar to protect the graphics :)
HTH,
George
The mylar pieces are a must whether you've got steel or not: it's an easy way to protect otherwise vulnerable paint. 3M puts out a sheet which sports oval pieces, little round guys, and a couple of long strips for laying on the chainstay. They're clean and neat, and they work.

dhk said:
I'm not sold on wax or chainstay protectors as a rust preventative. Believe keeping the paint clean and dry is the best way to prevent rust.
Just means to the same end. Wax keeps dirt from sticking and trapping moisture. Chainstays get chipped enough that their worth protecting. Surprisingly, nobody's brought up the electrical tape option for that. It's light, cheap, and doesn't show grease marks.

artmichalek said:
Just means to the same end. Wax keeps dirt from sticking and trapping moisture. Chainstays get chipped enough that their worth protecting. Surprisingly, nobody's brought up the electrical tape option for that. It's light, cheap, and doesn't show grease marks.
Not particularly durable.
Lizard Skins sells a carbon-fiber weave looking mylar film set for such purposes. Mylar, while having anti-scratch/abrasion propperties, has no dent resistence for the metal or paint underneath. It is ideal for areas such as downtubes and cable-rub points.