Steel - Spirit vs Spirit/Zona Mix

noonievut

Jul 5, 2004
A frame builder has two options for steel bikes, one is spirit main and rear triangle and the other is spirit main triangle and zona rear triangle. The one with the zona rear is suited for light touring (and an LBS who sells these bikes has it on for quite a bit less...$200+). Also, the frames are available as custom or pre-set sizing (I'm going for a fitting soon).

I'm 6 foot and 160 pounds...any reason why the frame with the zona rear (and cheaper) wouldn't work for me?

Found the specs for Spirit vs Zona are shown at columbustubi.com. As you can see, one difference is that the zona rear stays are 0.1 mm thicker than Spirit, meaning a small weight increase for the zona frame. Not sure how many grams the difference is, but would be surprised if it's more than 100 g: nothing you'll notice when riding.

noonievut said:
A frame builder has two options for steel bikes, one is spirit main and rear triangle and the other is spirit main triangle and zona rear triangle. The one with the zona rear is suited for light touring (and an LBS who sells these bikes has it on for quite a bit less...$200+). Also, the frames are available as custom or pre-set sizing (I'm going for a fitting soon).

I'm 6 foot and 160 pounds...any reason why the frame with the zona rear (and cheaper) wouldn't work for me?
The slightly thicker tubing should result in a stiffer rear triangle -- that's generally a-good-thing ...

Consequently, unless you are a weight weenie, I think you are better off choosing the frame with the slightly heavier Zona rear triangle.

Some people benefit greatly from a custom or semi-custom frame ... I think most people can use an off-the-peg frame without any problems.

I have a few weeks until my fitting/appointment so I'll figure it out then. I'm not a weight weenie so if I get more stength for a small increase in weight, not a bad thing. Thanks for the feedback.