Steel Tubing for racks? Source?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by PatC, Dec 31, 2005.

  1. PatC

    PatC Guest

    Anyone know where to get small Chromoly steel tubing (like Tubus uses for
    their racks?) I have an idea for a project and I think that would be easy
    to weld, strong and somewhat lightweight. Other sizes / diameters would
    also be good.

    I'd be hunting aluminum if I had the special equipment to weld it. I'm
    planning to torch braze the steel tubing.

    If anyone knows of a good framebuilder's list for me to ask, that would be
    good info too.

    THANKS!

    Tags:

  2. You local metal yard will have what you need. Lots of sizes, and really
    pretty cheap too.

    You could try a scrap yard as well.

    PatC wrote:
    > Anyone know where to get small Chromoly steel tubing (like Tubus uses for
    > their racks?) I have an idea for a project and I think that would be easy
    > to weld, strong and somewhat lightweight. Other sizes / diameters would
    > also be good.
    >
    > I'd be hunting aluminum if I had the special equipment to weld it. I'm
    > planning to torch braze the steel tubing.
    >
    > If anyone knows of a good framebuilder's list for me to ask, that would be
    > good info too.
    >
    > THANKS!

  3. Josh

    Josh Guest

    there's always mcmastercarr.com if all else fails. Its under raw
    materials>metals>steel>tubes

    -josh

    "PatC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anyone know where to get small Chromoly steel tubing (like Tubus uses for
    > their racks?) I have an idea for a project and I think that would be easy
    > to weld, strong and somewhat lightweight. Other sizes / diameters would
    > also be good.
    >
    > I'd be hunting aluminum if I had the special equipment to weld it. I'm
    > planning to torch braze the steel tubing.
    >
    > If anyone knows of a good framebuilder's list for me to ask, that would be
    > good info too.
    >
    > THANKS!

  4. philcycles

    philcycles Guest

    PatC wrote:
    > Anyone know where to get small Chromoly steel tubing (like Tubus uses for
    > their racks?) I have an idea for a project and I think that would be easy
    > to weld, strong and somewhat lightweight. Other sizes / diameters would
    > also be good.
    >
    > I'd be hunting aluminum if I had the special equipment to weld it. I'm
    > planning to torch braze the steel tubing.
    >
    > If anyone knows of a good framebuilder's list for me to ask, that would be
    > good info too.
    >
    > THANKS!

    ˙Here's the framebuilder's list:
    Subscribe/unsubscribe or retrieve password at:
    Archives: http://www.phred.org/pipermail/framebuilders/
    Archive Search: http://search.bikelist.org/

    Your tubing source is Aircraft Spruce.
    Phil Brown

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    PatC wrote:

    > Anyone know where to get small Chromoly steel tubing (like Tubus uses for
    > their racks?) I have an idea for a project and I think that would be easy
    > to weld, strong and somewhat lightweight. Other sizes / diameters would
    > also be good.
    >
    > I'd be hunting aluminum if I had the special equipment to weld it. I'm
    > planning to torch braze the steel tubing.
    >
    > If anyone knows of a good framebuilder's list for me to ask, that would be
    > good info too.

    I don't know where to get CrMo tube like that but I've made
    internal brake guides and luggage carriers from auto brake
    line. Nice quality and dirt cheap.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  6. Mark

    Mark Guest

    For the volume you need McMaster is the easy choice.

    If they don't have what you want then I suggest TW Metals which is my
    first choice for tubing as they have most everything one would want
    (CroMo or Al). You need to know exactly what to order because this is a
    proper metals yard used to dealing with large amounts. That said, the
    sales staff is very friendly, you don't need a corporate account and
    when I last ordered there was no minimum order size. Depending on where
    you live you may have an similar yard close enough to visit in person.

    Dillsburg Aero is a good source of tubing and this company has
    supported EAA and amateur radio enthusiasts for years so they are used
    to dealing with hobbist sorts. I don't have the phone # for Dillsburg
    handy but here's a link regarding their history:

    http://www.airbum.com/articles/ArticleDillsburgAero.html

    Mark

  7. I have found these people to be great to deal with:-

    Dillsburg Aeroplane Works
    114 Sawmill Rd.
    Dillsburg, PA 17019
    Phone (717) 432-4589

    Hope this helps.

    Lewis.

    *******

  8. PatC

    PatC Guest

    PatC <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    Thanks everyone for the info. I may try to find some steel brake line to
    experiment with first. I may get the aircraftspruce.com's sample bag to
    play around with.

    If anyone is wondering, I'm thinking hard about building a touring/light
    shopping trailer. I'm getting inspiration from Koolstop Kool Mule's
    design. But, there are things I like about the BOB's. I also can't see
    myself on a mountain descent with a 2-wheeled trailer.

    I may use the mounting system like the KKM, but sort of a basket like the
    BOB. I may add pannier hangers over the wheel (4130).

    My initial thoughts are to use either 4130, small exhaust pipe, or
    electrical conduit for a "spine", then an old fork welded on to hold a
    26" wheel.

    For mounting to the seat/chain stay, I'm considering air hose connectors
    welded to a 3" section of 3/4" 4130 split in half, then padded with some
    kind of rubber material. I think I'm going to use several o-rings to
    "rubber band" the split pipes to the stays. This works great for lights
    and SKS fenders, and should be strong enough if I use 3 o-rings per side.
    I really don't like the mounting systems I've seen that fit under the
    QR's. The seatpost attached types only work for 2-wheel trailers.

    If I can keep the parts cost cheap, I can afford to V1 prototype (aka
    mess up once or twice), then hopefully make a second V2 "keeper"!

    V3 may have a braking system activated by the trailer's weight pushing
    forward. It would have to push against a spring, and somehow take up
    brake cable to a canti or v-brake on the wheel fork. Think hydraulic
    trailer brakes... I'll have to get the initial trailer design completed
    first, then experiment with this. I'm thinking tube sliding inside a
    tube, or a pivoting arm.

    Hey, it's cold out, and I'm getting bored!

  9. Chalo

    Chalo Guest