Steel versus carbon

alienator said:
Please tell us how a given material will hamper your racing "performance." And please use facts, not bicycle LBS, BBS, racer, or whatever mythology.

Some random facts...

http://www.calfeedesign.com/whitepaper4.htm

The article is not bad but just the two graphs alone prove carbon to be the best frame material in terms of strength/stiffness & weight.

This quote probably sums it up best: "Composites can be molded into structural members with complex cross sections with relative ease. They also have some very impressive mechanical properties. The 6061 and 7000 series aluminum used in bike frames is roughly one-third as heavy as steel, one-third as stiff, and, at best, is about 80 percent as strong as the 4130 cro-moly steel used in most bike frames. Titanium is roughly two-thirds the weight of steel, one-half as stiff, and about 60 percent as strong as steel. The carbon fiber composite most used by bicycle manufacturers is less than one-quarter the weight of steel, but it is about as stiff (which makes it almost four times as stiff on a weight-to-weight basis), and it is roughly four times as strong in tension. Carbon fiber also has a better fatigue life than steel, titanium, or aluminum, and the resins typically used to bond the fibers offer extremely good vibration damping."

The comparison table at the bottom makes a good case for carbon also.

Another quote:

"To meet the ultimate PNGV mileage goal, one potentially enabling technology is to use carbon-fiber composites, which form the structure of U.S. fighter jets. Carbon-fiber composites weigh about one-fifth as much as steel, but can be comparable or better in terms of stiffness and strength, depending on fiber grade and orientation. These composites do not rust or corrode like steel or aluminum. Perhaps most important, they could reduce vehicle weight by as much as 60%, significantly increasing vehicle fuel economy."

It's from: http://www.ornl.gov/info/ornlreview/v33_3_00/carbon.htm

I agree with the sentiment that racing bicycles is 90% human and 10% mechanical but when you've trained as hard as you can given your career, family, social engagments and mental attitude then the only obvious improvement is equipment. Buy a carbon one and you'll be a better rider (even if it's only a few %).

If you don't believe me ask the pros - 95% of them are winning on carbon...

Eldron said:
Some random facts...

http://www.calfeedesign.com/whitepaper4.htm

The article is not bad but just the two graphs alone prove carbon to be the best frame material in terms of strength/stiffness & weight.

First, a white paper does not a fact make. The truth is that white papers are intended to sell a customer on a particular point of view. I know this for fact. I have contributed to white papers for one of the largest defense contractors in the world. Empiricism is not a requirement in a white paper and neither is objectivity or scientific method. Your chosen metrics of performance--strength/stiffness and weight--are not necessarily absolute measures of performance. In fact there is no clear indication that stiffness has any bearing on performance. Tour magazine said as much when they tested bicycle frames.

Eldron said:
This quote probably sums it up best: "Composites can be molded into structural members with complex cross sections with relative ease. They also have some very impressive mechanical properties. The 6061 and 7000 series aluminum used in bike frames is roughly one-third as heavy as steel, one-third as stiff, and, at best, is about 80 percent as strong as the 4130 cro-moly steel used in most bike frames. Titanium is roughly two-thirds the weight of steel, one-half as stiff, and about 60 percent as strong as steel. The carbon fiber composite most used by bicycle manufacturers is less than one-quarter the weight of steel, but it is about as stiff (which makes it almost four times as stiff on a weight-to-weight basis), and it is roughly four times as strong in tension. Carbon fiber also has a better fatigue life than steel, titanium, or aluminum, and the resins typically used to bond the fibers offer extremely good vibration damping."

So? Making such statements...."four times as stiff"....."four times as strong in tension"....means nothing without context. You also have to deciede what you mean by "performance." If you mean, by "performance", performance in a test of torsional stiffness, that is one thing; however, that may have nothing to do with human performance.

And who said that complex shapes are necessarily beneficial?

Your charts, graphs, and magnitudes mean nothing in terms of human performance and cycling.

Eldron said:
Another quote:

"To meet the ultimate PNGV mileage goal, one potentially enabling technology is to use carbon-fiber composites, which form the structure of U.S. fighter jets. Carbon-fiber composites weigh about one-fifth as much as steel, but can be comparable or better in terms of stiffness and strength, depending on fiber grade and orientation. These composites do not rust or corrode like steel or aluminum. Perhaps most important, they could reduce vehicle weight by as much as 60%, significantly increasing vehicle fuel economy."

It's from: http://www.ornl.gov/info/ornlreview/v33_3_00/carbon.htm

I hope you're going to show exactly how "vehicle fuel economy" is relevant to human performance on bicycles. Lest you forget, a bicycle is already roughly 97-98% efficient in terms of mechanical efficiency, and this figure is pretty independent of bicycle frame material choice.

Please, also show how fighter jet structure is relevant to bicycle performance.

Eldron said:
I agree with the sentiment that racing bicycles is 90% human and 10% mechanical but when you've trained as hard as you can given your career, family, social engagments and mental attitude then the only obvious improvement is equipment. Buy a carbon one and you'll be a better rider (even if it's only a few %).

This is pure speculation on your part, based on no facts. In fact, if you were to actually do the numbers, you would find that the "facts" say that material makes almost no impact on human performance on bicycles, except in the case where a material is badly used or chosen.

Eldron said:
If you don't believe me ask the pros - 95% of them are winning on carbon...

Oh, please. The bicycles chosen by the pros are the ones that their sponsors want them to ride, i.e. the ones that their sponsors want to sell. if 95% are winning on carbon, it's because that's the sort of bike the manufacturers want to sell.

I suspect that you do not have a scientific or engineering background because you are compltely missing some very important design and materials points.

Eldron said:
Also found this:

http://news.com.com/Here+comes+the+everyday+carbon-fiber+car/2100-1008_3-6114289.html?tag=nefd.top

which states:

But since carbon fiber is stronger, tougher and lighter than steel and can increase fuel efficiency because of its lower weight, major manufacturers are finally getting in on trend.

Uhm, you need to make the correlation between this and bicycles, which you're not doing: you're cutting, pasting, and hand waving. Car performance has zero to do with bicycle performance and human performance on a bicycle.

alienator said:
Uhm, you need to make the correlation between this and bicycles, which you're not doing: you're cutting, pasting, and hand waving. Car performance has zero to do with bicycle performance and human performance on a bicycle.

The correlation is that wherever stiffness, weight AND strength are important - carbon is the material of choice.

I tell you what - make your case. Prove to me that steel/alu/ti is superior to carbon and I'll happily change my mind. Prove to me that a material that is weaker/more flexible/more fatuige prone/heavier/rusts and creates a HAZ during welding&brazing is better than carbon and I'll agree with you.

Until then I'm going to ride my carbon bike that:
Absorbs vibration (giving a more comfortable ride than steel/alu/ti)
Is lighter (making my climbing marginally better)
Is stiffer (which transmits more of my energy into forward motion).
Has a better fatuige resistance (meaning it'll last longer)

Eldron said:
Until then I'm going to ride my carbon bike that:
Absorbs vibration (giving a more comfortable ride than steel/alu/ti)
Is lighter (making my climbing marginally better)
Is stiffer (which transmits more of my energy into forward motion).
Has a better fatuige resistance (meaning it'll last longer)
Without getting in too much of an argument about this,

1. Never had any problems with a good steel frame with vibration. Alu is another story.
2. Lighter - fair enough, CF bikes tend to be quite light, although you can do pretty nicely with Alu, and steel is not that far behind today (nothing that will make a real performance difference, anyway).
3. Alu, I suspect, can give you the stiffest frames you want.
4. I have had no fatigue issues with my 12 y.o. steel De Rosa. And so far none with my Alu-CF De Rosa (now 2 y.o.).

In other words, it really depends what type of riding/investment you are in for.

I really doubt someone can claim that CF is vastly superior to another frame material, especially when so much goes into the quality of the raw material and the frame design...

Just my 2 cents, YMMV...

Powerful Pete said:
Without getting in too much of an argument about this,

1. Never had any problems with a good steel frame with vibration. Alu is another story.
2. Lighter - fair enough, CF bikes tend to be quite light, although you can do pretty nicely with Alu, and steel is not that far behind today (nothing that will make a real performance difference, anyway).
3. Alu, I suspect, can give you the stiffest frames you want.
4. I have had no fatigue issues with my 12 y.o. steel De Rosa. And so far none with my Alu-CF De Rosa (now 2 y.o.).

In other words, it really depends what type of riding/investment you are in for.

I really doubt someone can claim that CF is vastly superior to another frame material, especially when so much goes into the quality of the raw material and the frame design...

Just my 2 cents, YMMV...

On a personal level I agree - I have raced many bikes over years made from a variety of materials. There have been positives and negatives to all materials.

On a scientific level I have to disagree. You can make a carbon frame that is lighter, stronger AND stiffer than any stee/alu/alu frame. Thousands of websites/graphs/tensile tests/fatigue tests/comparisons will prove it.

Do we need all these superior trates? Some yes some no. Are we paying a hefty premium for very limited rewards? Yes - carbon probably only yields "real world" advantages of a few %.

Do I like them? Yes. Am I willing to pay the premium? Yes.

That's why I ride carbon and you ride steel & alu/carbon. It's the individuals choice...

"The Phonak team was the only team to ride the entire Tour last year on carbon bars.", from www.eastonbike.com.

I wonder why every team didn't use CF bars? Are Easton's the only safe CF bars, or was Phonak taking a chance?

Then we have the case of Hincapie's steerer tube snapping during Paris-Roubaix, and so on.

Wurm said:
Evil Luddite! ;) Now look what you've done: propagated the ridiculous myth that you can actually race well on a "heavy, rust-prone, noodle" of a frame! :eek:

Congrats on the new rig.

Apparently, Eldron has not been as fortunate. :D

I may have to plead No Contest and admit to possibly being a luddite.

The racing age on my USCF license will read '50' next year. When I can not find a Masters event I ride Cat 3 and I am very competitive on my steel frame, beating many MUCH younger riders on their CF frames. I am convinced that frame material is insignificant, unless you are talking pig iron. Use the frame and components that you are most confortable with.

WURM, I see you are an audio guy. Here's what I have: Linn LP12, Conrad-Johnson PV-9, 2 pair Paoli SOB Monoblocks, Montana EPX. With respect to being a luddite, I listen exclusively to vinyl (to all the unenlightened out there- records are still maufactured and available. Try www.acousticsounds.com).

Wurm said:
"The Phonak team was the only team to ride the entire Tour last year on carbon bars.", from www.eastonbike.com.

I wonder why every team didn't use CF bars? Are Easton's the only safe CF bars, or was Phonak taking a chance?

Then we have the case of Hincapie's steerer tube snapping during Paris-Roubaix, and so on.

Because their sponsors didn't give them CF bars and because there's no real benefit to CF bars.

And you know that Hincapie's steerer was Al, right?

Eldron said:
On a personal level I agree - I have raced many bikes over years made from a variety of materials. There have been positives and negatives to all materials.

On a scientific level I have to disagree. You can make a carbon frame that is lighter, stronger AND stiffer than any stee/alu/alu frame. Thousands of websites/graphs/tensile tests/fatigue tests/comparisons will prove it.

Do we need all these superior trates? Some yes some no. Are we paying a hefty premium for very limited rewards? Yes - carbon probably only yields "real world" advantages of a few %.

Do I like them? Yes. Am I willing to pay the premium? Yes.

That's why I ride carbon and you ride steel & alu/carbon. It's the individuals choice...

Oh, you're going to bring science into the matter? Then please, using accepted methods, prove just how superior CF is to other frame materials. Note that as in science, the repsonsibility for proving a wild claim is that of the person making the wild claim....so have at it. And good luck.

You make claims about CF that are dodgy and pointless:

1. Great strength to weight ratio: and so what? Steel also exhibits a great strength to weight ratio. More important that than this ratio, though, is how the material is actually employed in the frame. As such, steel, aluminum, titanium, magnesium, et al all exceed very well their performance parameters.

2. Light weight: again, so what? The supposed "light weight" advantage is as specious as the advantage of low rotational moment of inertia. When the numbers are crunched--and if you have difficulty crunching the numbers, go to Analytic Cycling, put numbers in their models, and see how little light weight matters when it comes to performance. Their models, by the way, have been verified by independent models done by MarkMcM at Weight Weenies, ScienceIsCool, myself, and others with actual scientific and engineering backgrounds.

And exactly how do you mean lighter? Is it's specific weight less? And what particular CF composite are you referring to? You are aware, aren't you, that they're not all the same, right?

And exactly lighter than what? Only an idiot would make a frame of steel and then turn around and use the exact same tubing dimensions, angles....all the same dimensions and parameters with the only difference being that instead of steel, CF is used. So is that the scenario you're talking about?

Just so you have a bit more knowledge to work with...especially compared to the very small resources that you seem to be using now....there are actually quite a few pros that are riding 17lb + frames on the Pro Tour. Hmmmm. Imagine that. These same pros can choose lighter frame options from their sponsors, yet they continue, at times, to use frames whose massive (and ain't 17lbs just massive?) weights must be keeping them off the podium....

3. Corrosion? Fatigue? You're kidding, right? I hope you're not going to pull out the old saw about how steel rusts......The unavoidable fact is that such concerns are not concerns to people that take very minimal care of their bikes. And if people can't even take minimal care of their bikes, then even the most hardy material won't protect them against their own ignorance. Alunimum may have the dodgiest fatigue characteristics, but that rarely is a problem for aluminum bikes. It really only becomes a problem when a rear dropout is bent, and for that reason, most Al bikes come w/ replaceable dropouts. Magnesium corrodes more easily than the other materials, yet pre-coating the magnesium bits effectively protects them for as long as the owner needs. CF also has its own issues. Material failures can be difficult to detect; CF generally does poorly in impact testing, especially in very localized impacts which are likely to only dent a metal tube. CF requires that owners pay more attention to their bike, potential damage, and etc. And if a guy or gal can't look after a steel bike well enough to keep it from rusting, then they're certainly not going to be able to look after a CF bike well enough to know when damage has been done or to known when more intense structural analysis is needed.

4.Exactly what range in a given CF parts vibration spectrum is the CF particularly good at damping? You might want to answer this carefully since it is known by people working in various disciplines that CF's response to certain vibrational spectra is very BAD for certain applications. Or maybe your generalization is just that: a really, stupid, generalization.

5. Stiffer means "which transmits more of my energy into forward motion..." Really? How? So you are going to allege that a force delivered to the pedal such that said force has components that aren't parallel to the vector defining the direction of motion...that such a force wouldn't exist on stiffer frame? Hmmmm. So is it the rider or the material generating the forces that don't act parallel to the direction of travel? Hmmm. That seems to violate everything that I learned in Newtonian Mechanics. That seems to violate much of what I learned in Engineering Dynamics...... Please, explain how your new science works.

Tell us, please, exactly where it is that your vast scientific and engineering knowledge come from....you know the knowledge with which you can make such extraordinary claims. If you're an engineer, then it's certainly valid for people to question your skills when you insist on using the applicability of CF in an aerospace application as proof, justification, or whatever for the use of CF in a bicycle. What's really bad about such "justifications" is that you never actually get around to making specific proofs, calculations, or demonstrations of how for a given set of criteria, CF would trump steel, Al, Mg, or Ti .

Then, because you can't make such proofs, you quickly retreat a few steps and say...."That's why I ride carbon and you ride steel & alu/carbon. It's the individuals choice..." Totally laughable.

Ok being totally new to this forum kinda have to laugh at the flame wars going on here. Yes Lance Armstrong in his day or even today could probably beat you on a Huffy but he would totally kick your butt on a good bike. I'm going to throw something out here. Yes it's all about the motor and yes lots of riders maybe spend mega bucks to save a few lbs. on a bike when they might be better spent on losing a few lbs. on their own body.

I also can tell you this buying a new bike ever so often does make a big difference. I bought my last bike 5 years ago a Lemond Zurich all 853 steel and thought that it was the best bike ever available. I then went out and bought a new bike this spring and yes bikes have changed lots in the last 5 years. So much so when I 1st left the LBS and jumped on the pedals the bike almost jumped out underneath me. I rode a Trek Madone, a Merlin ti and a Lemond Victoire which I settled on. I like the geometry of the Lemond and the carbon ti combo was a good feel for me and didn't like the soft ride of the carbon bike with no road feel. Yes all 3 bikes were fast and each seem to have it's own ride quality good points and bad points to me. My next bike will probably be an all ti bike and I could care less what anyone else rides as long as my bike fits me well and is one sweet ride for me. nuff said.

Zman

Zurichman said:
Ok being totally new to this forum kinda have to laugh at the flame wars going on here. Yes Lance Armstrong in his day or even today could probably beat you on a Huffy but he would totally kick your butt on a good bike. I'm going to throw something out here. Yes it's all about the motor and yes lots of riders maybe spend mega bucks to save a few lbs. on a bike when they might be better spent on losing a few lbs. on their own body.

I also can tell you this buying a new bike ever so often does make a big difference. I bought my last bike 5 years ago a Lemond Zurich all 853 steel and thought that it was the best bike ever available. I then went out and bought a new bike this spring and yes bikes have changed lots in the last 5 years. So much so when I 1st left the LBS and jumped on the pedals the bike almost jumped out underneath me. I rode a Trek Madone, a Merlin ti and a Lemond Victoire which I settled on. I like the geometry of the Lemond and the carbon ti combo was a good feel for me and didn't like the soft ride of the carbon bike with no road feel. Yes all 3 bikes were fast and each seem to have it's own ride quality good points and bad points to me. My next bike will probably be an all ti bike and I could care less what anyone else rides as long as my bike fits me well and is one sweet ride for me. nuff said.

Zman

Please tell me how it is that a bike can almost "jump out underneath you," espcially when you consider that human acceleration on a bike is so slow that there is virtually no difference at all in rates of acceleration based on bikes of different weights.

I always wondered where these magical bikes came from or where they were purchased.

Zurichman said:
I like the geometry of the Lemond and the carbon ti combo was a good feel for me and didn't like the soft ride of the carbon bike with no road feel.

...Looks like I'm not the only one who feels that carbon exhibits a "soft ride" with "no road feel". :cool:

DMF and Wurm...

Nice to see some fellow audiophiles here!

I listen to a PrimaLuna 2, re-tubed with (Mullard NOS 12AX7's, Mazda NOS 12AU7's, and some nice solid-plate Shuguang KT88's - Genelex replicas). I have the Ahh! Njoe Tjoeb CD player. And a set of Gallo Reference 3 speakers.

If any of you are interested in some of the reasons that tubed audio equipment has gained a strong following with avid listeners, here's an interesting article... http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/oct05/1640
And a good source for tubed audio gear is www.UpscaleAudio.com

Hey DMF, I'm drooling over your Conrad Johnson. What kind of surgeon did you say that you are? ;)

Rick_G said:
...Nice to see some fellow audiophiles here!

I listen to a PrimaLuna 2, re-tubed with (Mullard NOS 12AX7's, Mazda NOS 12AU7's, and some nice solid-plate Shuguang KT88's - Genelex replicas). I have the Ahh! Njoe Tjoeb CD player. And a set of Gallo Reference 3 speakers.

I ;)

Give me vaccuum tube electronics and steel bicycle frames, a little red wine, a woman in a tight sweater and I'm a happy camper.

I am using the Svetlanta Winged "C" 6550s in the Paoli power amps and vintage Telefunken 12AX7s in the CJ. The reminder fo the CJ tubes are NOS Mullards.

Here is a pic of 'MY ROOM" I was built in the basement as a dedicated listening room and contains some of my other treasures, (i.e the DeRosas)

alienator said:
Because their sponsors didn't give them CF bars and because there's no real benefit to CF bars.

And you know that Hincapie's steerer was Al, right?
I didn't know that. The pix I saw were of a CF steerer.

Maybe their sponsors didn't issue CF bars for a reason, that being they may break more often than Al bars. But there's a whole other argument.

DM4 said:
I may have to plead No Contest and admit to possibly being a luddite.

The racing age on my USCF license will read '50' next year. When I can not find a Masters event I ride Cat 3 and I am very competitive on my steel frame, beating many MUCH younger riders on their CF frames. I am convinced that frame material is insignificant, unless you are talking pig iron. Use the frame and components that you are most confortable with.
...AND the stuff that's the "best value" (or most affordable) is what I'd add to that.

Well, I did 71 miles on my 18.8 lb. steel pig yesterday, and with the many climbs here in the Adirondacks my avg. of 16.9 was not too shabby. No complaints from me or the bike.

DM4 said:
WURM, I see you are an audio guy...
Yep, for many years. My latest system is a Mesa Baron with the WIMA caps mod and various tubes to roll (Nordost SPM Ref. bi-wire to speakers), Audible Illusions Modulus 3A pre w. John Curl's phono stage (XLO The Limited to amp), Nautilus 803's on Sound Anchors stands + REL Stentor III (custom Audioquest silver Neutrix cable to sub), Pass Labs D1 DAC + C.E.C. TL-1x transport (via AT&T fiber optic), VPI HW-19 MkIII w. PLC + Well Tempered Classic + Van den Hul Frog & Sumiko Blackbird (Nirvana S-L to pre). I took the springs off the '19s plinth and replaced them with the big AQ Sorbothane pucks. Made a hell of a difference.

DM4 said:
Give me vaccuum tube electronics and steel bicycle frames, a little red wine, a woman in a tight sweater and I'm a happy camper.
I concur :D

That is a seriously nice room you've got there.
Some FINE "treasures" indeed!

I think the DeRosa's probably improve your imaging even better than the sound treatments you've got on the walls - LOL.