Steel Vs Aluminum

lehowe0

Aug 30, 2005
Hey guys, I'm wondering something about aluminum vs steel. I have always had steel bikes (Cromoly) and have been very satisfied with them, but I know that more and more manufacturers are coming out aluminum.

Now, I had read that steel frames give a little more flex to the ride and therefore the bike seems to have more life to it, while aluminum frames are much more rigid and do not have that pleasant spring to them. In addition, I have read that aluminum frames are more subject to metal fatigue than steel ones.

For these reasons, I have always avoided aluminum frames. It seems to me that if they are selling so well, there must be a plus to aluminum, (other than the obvious rust resistance).

Can anyone tell me the upsides to aluminum frames? I'm not trying to start any unpleasant exchanges; Just want to know why so many people buy them, and why mfgrs. are coming out with so many of them.

Reactions: haleylx4
lehowe0 said:
Hey guys, I'm wondering something about aluminum vs steel. I have always had steel bikes (Cromoly) and have been very satisfied with them, but I know that more and more manufacturers are coming out aluminum.

Now, I had read that steel frames give a little more flex to the ride and therefore the bike seems to have more life to it, while aluminum frames are much more rigid and do not have that pleasant spring to them. In addition, I have read that aluminum frames are more subject to metal fatigue than steel ones.

For these reasons, I have always avoided aluminum frames. It seems to me that if they are selling so well, there must be a plus to aluminum, (other than the obvious rust resistance).

Can anyone tell me the upsides to aluminum frames? I'm not trying to start any unpleasant exchanges; Just want to know why so many people buy them, and why mfgrs. are coming out with so many of them.

I like how it looks and feels. I concluded the anti-aluminum people didn't know what they were talking about.

How a bike ride is little to do with materials but everything to do with proper design, construction, and use of materials. So, buy what ever tickles your fancy best on a test ride, no matter what the frame material is.

The bike I liked and that I could afford was aluminum. I guess that is simple enough. I didn't really think about frame material since I was looking to spend less than $1000 USD. Steel has become the fashion nouveaux here and it seems that any new steel bikes are overpriced just because they're steel. And, as with steel, at my price point, Ti and carbon fibre were not an option. As for the mfgrs, I am sure economics has alot to do with it.

Cheers,

Brian

lehowe0 said:

The whole fatigue thing has been blown way out of proportion. There are plenty of well designed aluminum bikes out there that are still rolling after tens of thousands of hard miles. While I agree that most of a bike's feel has more to do with design than material, steel can't compete with aluminum in terms of lateral stiffness. Once you slam a big tubed aluminum bike through a few hard corners you'll understand.

Not another material a vs. material b thread! Can't someone post a FAQ about this one (in addition to a "how to use the search feature" guide)? I feel like I'm watching the same Seinfeld episode for the 100th time... If someone asks this question again, I'd like to say "No frame for you, come back one year."

chrisPDX said:
Not another material a vs. material b thread! Can't someone post a FAQ about this one (in addition to a "how to use the search feature" guide)? I feel like I'm watching the same Seinfeld episode for the 100th time... If someone asks this question again, I'd like to say "No frame for you, come back one year."
You didn't have to read it or reply.

baj32161 said:
You didn't have to read it or reply.
No, I didn't have to. I realize the same questions/topics get discussed multiple times; I was simply pointing out that the forum as a whole may be better served by fresh topics since the old stuff is already there for the record. I just searched for "steel vs. aluminum" and found five very similar threads all posted within the last few months. I chose to reply to point this out (and oh yeah, I was only being part serious). If you like watching re-runs and reading the same posts all the time, be my guest, but don't imply that I'm not entitled to voice my opinion about it.

alloy is stiffer than steel and usually a bit lighter although some high end steel tubing is very light.

stiffer tubing means 2 things

1. it transfers power from your legs to the wheels and road more efficiently, meaning that for the same power output an alloy frame will absorb less energy than a flexible steel frame theortically making you quicker.

2. its less comfortable, steel absorbs shock and vibrations from the road better, especially at high speed. This can reduce your fatigue on long distance rides.

i have both Easton Elite alloy frames, and Reynolds 853 cromoly steel frames. i love them both.

just my thoughts.

artmichalek said:
The whole fatigue thing has been blown way out of proportion. There are plenty of well designed aluminum bikes out there that are still rolling after tens of thousands of hard miles. While I agree that most of a bike's feel has more to do with design than material, steel can't compete with aluminum in terms of lateral stiffness. Once you slam a big tubed aluminum bike through a few hard corners you'll understand.
this is true, when aluminium frames were first manufactured they were weak and stuffered from fatigue,

nowadays the aluminium is mixed with other metals and even ceramics into a strong lightweight alloy that is used in aircraft wing stuctures. As you can understand this needs to be able to withstand huge vibrations and fatigue while maintaining lateral stiffness.

heat treating also helps make the tubing hard.

a quality alloy frame will last many years.

about slaming into a few hard corners, yep, its no fun when your front wheel wants to go left and the rest of you bike wants to go right....steel does that sometimes..:D

chrisPDX said:
No, I didn't have to. I realize the same questions/topics get discussed multiple times; I was simply pointing out that the forum as a whole may be better served by fresh topics since the old stuff is already there for the record. I just searched for "steel vs. aluminum" and found five very similar threads all posted within the last few months. I chose to reply to point this out (and oh yeah, I was only being part serious). If you like watching re-runs and reading the same posts all the time, be my guest, but don't imply that I'm not entitled to voice my opinion about it.
Okay chris. I would like you to find where, in my simple 8 word reply, I said, or even implied that you weren't entitled to voice your opinion. I belong to a couple of cycling forums and I have found that many people, for whatever reason, just don't use the search feature. I have tried to many times in here and often get an error message telling me that "the server is too busy, please try again later." If I see that message more than once I will just go ahead and post my thread, and hope that it is not a repeat. If it is and it happens to annoy a member I'n sorry. But as I said, if the title is something you have seen before and/or replied to before, you can just bypass it and not flame the poster for posting it. A little civility goes a long way. It would seem that you were the only person who chose to reply in a snide manner where others simply took the high road and replied with useful answers. Would it have hurt for you to do so?

Just a thought.

baj32161 said:
Okay chris. I would like you to find where, in my simple 8 word reply, I said, or even implied that you weren't entitled to voice your opinion. I belong to a couple of cycling forums and I have found that many people, for whatever reason, just don't use the search feature. I have tried to many times in here and often get an error message telling me that "the server is too busy, please try again later."
You stated that I didn’t have to “read or reply.” I felt compelled to reply, however. Therefore you stated that I didn’t have to do something that I felt compelled to do. While not directly stating that I wasn’t entitled to reply, you did ascribe a value judgment on my reply and therefore implied a lack of entitlement. I wasn’t trying to flame the original poster, but rather suggested (to the forum) that frequently asked questions be grouped in, well, a FAQ. I also made a suggestion (as many other forum members have made) that the search feature be used. If people don’t use it, or if it doesn’t work, then perhaps that is something that should be remedied as well. (Perhaps the server is too busy from everyone posting the same topic over and over again). The last part of my original post was a joke and not intended to be snide, so if it came off that way, I apologize.

Now for my opinion on steel vs. aluminum: both have their merits and there is a wealth of information out there on frame materials. Try http://www2.sjsu.edu/orgs/asmtms/artcle/articl.htm for a good introduction to the topic. From my personal experience with both materials, steel is generally more comfortable; however aluminum with a carbon fiber fork goes a long way towards smoothing out the road. Ultimately the choice comes down to what feels best to you and your wallet.

chrisPDX said:
You stated that I didn’t have to “read or reply.” I felt compelled to reply, however. Therefore you stated that I didn’t have to do something that I felt compelled to do. While not directly stating that I wasn’t entitled to reply, you did ascribe a value judgment on my reply and therefore implied a lack of entitlement. I wasn’t trying to flame the original poster, but rather suggested (to the forum) that frequently asked questions be grouped in, well, a FAQ. I also made a suggestion (as many other forum members have made) that the search feature be used. If people don’t use it, or if it doesn’t work, then perhaps that is something that should be remedied as well. (Perhaps the server is too busy from everyone posting the same topic over and over again). The last part of my original post was a joke and not intended to be snide, so if it came off that way, I apologize.

Now for my opinion on steel vs. aluminum: both have their merits and there is a wealth of information out there on frame materials. Try http://www2.sjsu.edu/orgs/asmtms/artcle/articl.htm for a good introduction to the topic. From my personal experience with both materials, steel is generally more comfortable; however aluminum with a carbon fiber fork goes a long way towards smoothing out the road. Ultimately the choice comes down to what feels best to you and your wallet.
Well perhaps the search feature SHOULD be remedied. If you get annoyed ny repeat threads in here, try bikeforums.net. That place is just slopping over with them. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing though since many opinions come from newer members or members who missed the original post(s), or just people who like to be helpful, and fresh views and ideas can often be good for the forums (IMHO).

BTW...I had to redo my search 3 times to reply to this due to that "server too busy" message. It is quite bothersome, I must say

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies. They were useful. As for the repeated postings; I think a little repitition will not hurt anyone. I've seen many repititions here, and actually replied to some of them multiple times. I don't think it's worth arguing about. Best of luck to all.

Personal experience here, and excuse me if this is repetition...

I also have found that the fatigue issue is overblown. My wife and I regularly ride an aluminum 1991 Cannondale tandem. Still going strong.

Comfort is more determined by frame geometry and wheelset than anything. The aforemenioned 'dale tandem rides silky smooth, but that's more the 4 cross/40 spoke tandem wheels than anything. Put a set of Kysrium's or Rolf's on a steel frame, and it will ride rough, too. OTOH, I have to admit that the really good steel frames I've been on have a sweet feel like none other.

Ill handling steel? I have a 1970's vintage Falcon San Remo, that rides beautifully and handles tight. Again, more a function of geometry and precision of assembly than frame material.

The early aluminum bikes (Cannondale, Klein) were super stiff. If you ever switched from the lugged steel frame of the 80's to a Cannondale, you couldn't help but notice that the Cannondale felt like a rocket. Of course the downside for the power was the rough ride if the pavement wasn't perfect. Nowadays, with the different types of aluminum and all of the multi shaped tubes, the manufacturers can tune out the harshness while still maintaining the quick accelerations and the light feel. My current bikes include a modern steel frame (tig-welded Dedacciai 16.5 EOM steel with carbon stays) and a 7005 T6 aluminum frame (both Pinarello's). Honestly, they both feel pretty similar with a slight edge going to the steel on rough surfaces. My aluminum bike has about 14-15k miles on it and it still rides fine. Plus I don't stress out about it getting wet, where with the steel bike, it only comes out in the nice weather and if I happen to get a little water on it, I wipe it clean immediately after the ride.

Lets get this straight. Every engineering text I have ever read along with all the labs I did at uni all show steel to be both stiffer and harder and have a higher fracture toughness (which is related to fatigue) than Alluminium. Furthermore this is not by a bit but by a lot - even aircraft Al alloys.

This is why Al alloy bikes have meaty looking frames to compensate for the lack of strength the material has and I assume this is why people get the impression why the Al bikes are stiffest due to the consequential high moments of area of the tube.

I have had two Al bikes and a shitty old steel. I used the old steel bike one day after riding the first of my Al bikes for a long time and thinking back I suppose when it shifted gear it felt sloppier than the Al bike. It was an old cheap design though.

I show my bike no mercy changing gear, going along rough roads, bandging kerbs... I dont care if I break it and I never have done. I am light (60kgs) but my mechanical sympathy doesn't extend to my bike yet I have never found any cracks in the Al bikes I have had and at least one has done about 20,000 miles. In fact the reason they have both required replacement is because everything apart from the frame needed replacement and it was more economical/convenient.

MichaelB said:
Lets get this straight. Every engineering text I have ever read along with all the labs I did at uni all show steel to be both stiffer and harder and have a higher fracture toughness (which is related to fatigue) than Alluminium. Furthermore this is not by a bit but by a lot - even aircraft Al alloys.

This is why Al alloy bikes have meaty looking frames to compensate for the lack of strength the material has and I assume this is why people get the impression why the Al bikes are stiffest due to the consequential high moments of area of the tube.
You must have missed the text that tells you how to calculate a flexural rigidity instead of guessing. Taking a quick look at the Columbus catalog, the down tube in their steel Spirit set has an EI of ~2.6e3 Nm^2. The thinner walled down tube in the aluminum Airplane set has an EI of ~1.5e3 Nm^2. That's not just an impression.

Another key fact that a lot of people haven't gotten their heads around is that relative to the in-plane loading that a bike frame is subjected to, it's essentially rigid. Anything that you hear about "vertical compliance" is nonsense. The vertical deflections vary on the order of microns between the stiffest and most compliant frames.

Ah, I am pretty sure aluminum is lighter. Steel is stronger, although it depends upon the thickness. You say aluminum is more rigid and that steel has more spring. I am not sure that this has to do with the metal. It would be the shocks and springs of it. This would be more of the parts and impact design of it. Aluminum is cheap. A steel bike will cost more so the overall structure should be smoother. I don't know, I'm not an expert but I do know about metals.

Aluminium is much lighter than steel and in recent years the manufacturing of aluminium bikes has become a bit more common or so I've seen, but the price tag on them is pretty hefty!