Steel water bottle cages

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Tom Sherman, Apr 22, 2003.

  1. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    I need a source for steel water bottle cages. The below seat cage(s) [1] on my Sunset keep breaking
    (possibly from the bike resting on the cage while being transported in my car). A steel cage should
    have greater ductility and fracture toughness than aluminium alloy one.

    [1] There is only one cage at a time - I am on the third one.

  2. Tom, Do a search for titanium water bottle cages and you will find both titanium and SS cages.
    Dan Kluckhuhn

    > I need a source for steel water bottle cages. The below seat cage(s) [1] on my Sunset keep
    > breaking (possibly from the bike resting on the cage while being transported in my car). A steel
    > cage should have greater ductility and fracture toughness than aluminium alloy one.
    >
    > [1] There is only one cage at a time - I am on the third one.

  3. Steve In Sc

    Steve In Sc Guest

    > I need a source for steel water bottle cages. The below seat cage(s) [1] on my Sunset keep
    > breaking (possibly from the bike resting on the cage while being transported in my car). A steel
    > cage should have greater ductility and fracture toughness than aluminium alloy one.
    >
    > [1] There is only one cage at a time - I am on the third one.

    Why not use a polyethylene bottle cage? Surely you're not a polymerphobe.

  4. Mark Stonich

    Mark Stonich Guest

    http://rivbike.com/webalog/waterbottles_cages/20030.html or, if you havent won a lottery lately
    http://rivbike.com/webalog/waterbottles_cages/29001.html

    > I need a source for steel water bottle cages. The below seat cage(s) [1] on my Sunset keep
    > breaking (possibly from the bike resting on the cage while being transported in my car). A steel
    > cage should have greater ductility and fracture toughness than aluminium alloy one.
    >
    > [1] There is only one cage at a time - I am on the third one.
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Various Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

  5. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    > I need a source for steel water bottle cages. The below seat cage(s) [1] on my Sunset keep
    > breaking (possibly from the bike resting on the cage while being transported in my car). A steel
    > cage should have greater ductility and fracture toughness than aluminium alloy one.
    >
    > [1] There is only one cage at a time - I am on the third one.

    I get mine from Performance. I prefer the ATB version- it's a little thicker. They're on special
    right now: $14.48 for two.

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.html?SKU=14681
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/cboProfile.html?SKU=14929
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.html?SKU=14680

    Bottle cages do not make good kickstands.

    Jeff

  6. Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I need a source for steel water bottle cages. The below seat cage(s) [1] on my Sunset keep
    > breaking (possibly from the bike resting on the cage while being transported in my car). A steel
    > cage should have greater ductility and fracture toughness than aluminium alloy one.
    >
    > [1] There is only one cage at a time - I am on the third one.

    I have in stock some Italian bottle cages made of tubular stainless steel. They are very high
    quality and fairly lightweight at 48 grams. Conatct me at zakaplan at earthlink.net if interested
    in ordering.

    Zach Kaplan