Steel water bottle cages

Tom Sherman

Guest
I need a source for steel water bottle cages. The below seat cage(s) [1] on my Sunset keep breaking
(possibly from the bike resting on the cage while being transported in my car). A steel cage should
have greater ductility and fracture toughness than aluminium alloy one.

[1] There is only one cage at a time - I am on the third one.

Tom, Do a search for titanium water bottle cages and you will find both titanium and SS cages.
Dan Kluckhuhn

> I need a source for steel water bottle cages. The below seat cage(s) [1] on my Sunset keep
> breaking (possibly from the bike resting on the cage while being transported in my car). A steel
> cage should have greater ductility and fracture toughness than aluminium alloy one.
>
> [1] There is only one cage at a time - I am on the third one.

> I need a source for steel water bottle cages. The below seat cage(s) [1] on my Sunset keep
> breaking (possibly from the bike resting on the cage while being transported in my car). A steel
> cage should have greater ductility and fracture toughness than aluminium alloy one.
>
> [1] There is only one cage at a time - I am on the third one.

Why not use a polyethylene bottle cage? Surely you're not a polymerphobe.

http://rivbike.com/webalog/waterbottles_cages/20030.html or, if you havent won a lottery lately
http://rivbike.com/webalog/waterbottles_cages/29001.html

> I need a source for steel water bottle cages. The below seat cage(s) [1] on my Sunset keep
> breaking (possibly from the bike resting on the cage while being transported in my car). A steel
> cage should have greater ductility and fracture toughness than aluminium alloy one.
>
> [1] There is only one cage at a time - I am on the third one.
>
> Tom Sherman - Various Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

> I need a source for steel water bottle cages. The below seat cage(s) [1] on my Sunset keep
> breaking (possibly from the bike resting on the cage while being transported in my car). A steel
> cage should have greater ductility and fracture toughness than aluminium alloy one.
>
> [1] There is only one cage at a time - I am on the third one.

I get mine from Performance. I prefer the ATB version- it's a little thicker. They're on special
right now: $14.48 for two.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.html?SKU=14681
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/cboProfile.html?SKU=14929
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.html?SKU=14680

Bottle cages do not make good kickstands.

Jeff

> I need a source for steel water bottle cages. The below seat cage(s) [1] on my Sunset keep
> breaking (possibly from the bike resting on the cage while being transported in my car). A steel
> cage should have greater ductility and fracture toughness than aluminium alloy one.
>
> [1] There is only one cage at a time - I am on the third one.

I have in stock some Italian bottle cages made of tubular stainless steel. They are very high
quality and fairly lightweight at 48 grams. Conatct me at zakaplan at earthlink.net if interested
in ordering.

Zach Kaplan