Steel Weight Vest for Squats...where to buy?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by BillyBob \Bubba\ Farnsworth III, Apr 9, 2005.

  1. Hi, used to see advertised a few years ago a steel shoulder type vest that
    had to poles on the front for placing standard weight discs. It was mainly
    used for doing squats. Anyone know the name of this or where to get one??

    Tags:

  2. Lee Michaels

    Lee Michaels Guest

    "BillyBob "Bubba" Farnsworth III" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi, used to see advertised a few years ago a steel shoulder type vest that
    > had to poles on the front for placing standard weight discs. It was mainly
    > used for doing squats. Anyone know the name of this or where to get one??

    Frank Zane sells that unit. He calls it the leg blaster.

    http://www.frankzane.com/EQUIPMENT.htm

    http://www.netsweat.com/Fitness_Equipment_Store/product.php?pid=FRANK-ZANE-LEG-BLASTER

  3. JMW

    JMW Guest

    "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net> wrote:

    >"BillyBob "Bubba" Farnsworth III" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Hi, used to see advertised a few years ago a steel shoulder type vest that
    >> had to poles on the front for placing standard weight discs. It was mainly
    >> used for doing squats. Anyone know the name of this or where to get one??

    >Frank Zane sells that unit. He calls it the leg blaster.
    >
    >http://www.frankzane.com/EQUIPMENT.htm
    >
    >http://www.netsweat.com/Fitness_Equipment_Store/product.php?pid=FRANK-ZANE-LEG-BLASTER

    Interesting. I had heard about this device (Zane was pumping it at
    his booth at the Arnold Expo), but I didn't see what it was.

    You can accomplish something similar by doing sissy squats with a
    loaded dip belt. The dip belt also provides for less axial loading on
    the spine than the leg blaster. The real trick is configuring the
    plates so that you can squat deep enough without the plates hitting
    the floor.

    You can also get an Ironmind squat belt, but they are a bit more
    expensive:

    http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1220

    Anymore, my lower back hurts for days after doing squats, regardless
    of whether its front or back squats, even light ones. I may have to
    get one of those squat belts.
    --

    JMW
    http://www.rustyiron.net

  4. Lee Michaels

    Lee Michaels Guest

    "JMW" <[email protected]> wrote

    > "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>"BillyBob "Bubba" Farnsworth III" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> Hi, used to see advertised a few years ago a steel shoulder type vest
    >>> that
    >>> had to poles on the front for placing standard weight discs. It was
    >>> mainly
    >>> used for doing squats. Anyone know the name of this or where to get
    >>> one??

    >>Frank Zane sells that unit. He calls it the leg blaster.
    >>
    >>http://www.frankzane.com/EQUIPMENT.htm
    >>
    >>http://www.netsweat.com/Fitness_Equipment_Store/product.php?pid=FRANK-ZANE-LEG-BLASTER

    > Interesting. I had heard about this device (Zane was pumping it at
    > his booth at the Arnold Expo), but I didn't see what it was.
    >
    > You can accomplish something similar by doing sissy squats with a
    > loaded dip belt. The dip belt also provides for less axial loading on
    > the spine than the leg blaster. The real trick is configuring the
    > plates so that you can squat deep enough without the plates hitting
    > the floor.
    >
    > You can also get an Ironmind squat belt, but they are a bit more
    > expensive:
    >
    > http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1220
    >
    > Anymore, my lower back hurts for days after doing squats, regardless
    > of whether its front or back squats, even light ones. I may have to
    > get one of those squat belts.

    I still think that a safety squat bar is better. And you can use it with
    your power rack.

    I should point out that it was not Zane who came up with this. I think it
    was a guy named morris. But nobody knew who he was. And he was selling it
    under his name too. Since he was a no-name, he couldn't give them away.

    Frank Zane liked it and made a deal with him. I don't know what kind of deal
    it was but I am pretty sure sure he got screwed big time.

    They used to be built better too. Now they are lighter, cheaper and can be
    shiped by fedex. And with Zane's name on it, a lot more of them are sold.

    But as both you and I pointed out, there are alternatives.

  5. Lee Michaels

    Lee Michaels Guest

    "JMW" <[email protected]> wrote

    > "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net> wrote:

    >>> Interesting. I had heard about this device (Zane was pumping it at
    >>> his booth at the Arnold Expo), but I didn't see what it was.
    >>>
    >>> You can accomplish something similar by doing sissy squats with a
    >>> loaded dip belt. The dip belt also provides for less axial loading on
    >>> the spine than the leg blaster. The real trick is configuring the
    >>> plates so that you can squat deep enough without the plates hitting
    >>> the floor.
    >>>
    >>> You can also get an Ironmind squat belt, but they are a bit more
    >>> expensive:
    >>>
    >>> http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1220
    >>>
    >>> Anymore, my lower back hurts for days after doing squats, regardless
    >>> of whether its front or back squats, even light ones. I may have to
    >>> get one of those squat belts.

    >>I still think that a safety squat bar is better. And you can use it with
    >>your power rack.

    > Are you comparing it the Leg Blaster? If you were talking about the
    > squat belt, keep in mind that a safety squat bar does nothing to
    > relieve axial loading on the spine. That's really the only reason to
    > use a squat belt.

    I found that people who have had problems doing squatswith a straight bar do
    well with the safety squat bar. For myself, it gets around some upper back
    problems.

    I really don't know about other situations. Most of the folks who I have
    worked with either had big balance or form problems.

    But I think that a hip belt squat is a fine movement in and of itself. It
    can be used on its own merits. Including the reasons that you state.

  6. "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "BillyBob "Bubba" Farnsworth III" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Hi, used to see advertised a few years ago a steel shoulder type vest

    that
    > > had to poles on the front for placing standard weight discs. It was

    mainly
    > > used for doing squats. Anyone know the name of this or where to get

    one??

    > Frank Zane sells that unit. He calls it the leg blaster.
    >
    > http://www.frankzane.com/EQUIPMENT.htm

    http://www.netsweat.com/Fitness_Equipment_Store/product.php?pid=FRANK-ZANE-L
    EG-BLASTER

    Yeh thats it. Didnt know the rack came with it which defeats my purpose of
    saving space. I only want the vest as long as I can place the weights on the
    holders while wearing the vest. Looks like you may have a hard time twisting
    sideways to place the weights. Anyone ever use one of these things?

  7. Andrzej Rosa

    Andrzej Rosa Guest

    Dnia 2005-04-09 JMW napisa³(a):

    > Anymore, my lower back hurts for days after doing squats, regardless
    > of whether its front or back squats, even light ones. I may have to
    > get one of those squat belts.

    Did you ever tried Bulgarian split squats? One places rear leg on a
    bench and squats on the front leg until rear knee touches a floor. The
    foot of a front leg should be some yard in front of a bench.

    Should work well with not extremely heavy dumbbells or barbell kept on
    shoulders. It has the advantage of exercising one leg at a time, so one
    needs only half of weight, and most of it will be bodyweight anyway.

    I do it to work my legs with my dumbbells when working out at home. This
    exercise "feels good" to me. Natural movement and so on. Works mostly
    for quads.

    --
    Andrzej Rosa 1127R
    I'm on a medication strike until the FDA stops openly sucking the cock

  8. JMW

    JMW Guest

    Andrzej Rosa <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Dnia 2005-04-09 JMW napisa³(a):
    >>
    >> Anymore, my lower back hurts for days after doing squats, regardless
    >> of whether its front or back squats, even light ones. I may have to
    >> get one of those squat belts.

    >Did you ever tried Bulgarian split squats? One places rear leg on a
    >bench and squats on the front leg until rear knee touches a floor. The
    >foot of a front leg should be some yard in front of a bench.
    >
    >Should work well with not extremely heavy dumbbells or barbell kept on
    >shoulders. It has the advantage of exercising one leg at a time, so one
    >needs only half of weight, and most of it will be bodyweight anyway.
    >
    >I do it to work my legs with my dumbbells when working out at home. This
    >exercise "feels good" to me. Natural movement and so on. Works mostly
    >for quads.

    I don't believe that split squats are a good idea for someone who has
    pre-existing injury/weakness in the lower back. A modest failure of
    good form can lead to even greater injury.
    --

    JMW
    http://www.rustyiron.net

  9. "Scott Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > BillyBob "Bubba" Farnsworth III wrote:
    > > "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > >>"BillyBob "Bubba" Farnsworth III" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >>news:[email protected]

    > > that

    > > mainly

    > > one??
    > >

    > >>Frank Zane sells that unit. He calls it the leg blaster.
    > >>
    > >>http://www.frankzane.com/EQUIPMENT.htm

    http://www.netsweat.com/Fitness_Equipment_Store/product.php?pid=FRANK-ZANE-L
    > > EG-BLASTER
    > >

    > > Yeh thats it. Didnt know the rack came with it which defeats my purpose

    of
    > > saving space. I only want the vest as long as I can place the weights on

    the
    > > holders while wearing the vest. Looks like you may have a hard time

    twisting
    > > sideways to place the weights. Anyone ever use one of these things?

    > Why not get a trap bar instead?
    >

    > --
    > Scott Johnson / [email protected]

    Whats a trap bar?

    http://www.bigfitness.com/hextrapbar.html

    --
    Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

    http://www.boobietrapbar.com/

    --
    Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

  12. Lee Michaels

    Lee Michaels Guest

    "Scott Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > BillyBob "Bubba" Farnsworth III wrote:
    >> "Scott Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >> http://www.netsweat.com/Fitness_Equipment_Store/product.php?pid=FRANK-ZANE-L

    >> of

    >> the

    >> twisting

    >>>Why not get a trap bar instead?
    >>>

    >>>--
    >>>Scott Johnson / [email protected]

    >> Whats a trap bar?

    > http://www.bigfitness.com/hextrapbar.html

    http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-0022shr.html

  13. dl

    dl Guest

    "Scott Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > BillyBob "Bubba" Farnsworth III wrote:
    > > "Scott Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in

    message
    > > news:[email protected]

    http://www.netsweat.com/Fitness_Equipment_Store/product.php?pid=FRANK-ZANE-L

    > > of

    on

    > > the

    > > twisting

    > >>Why not get a trap bar instead?
    > >>

    > >>--
    > >>Scott Johnson / [email protected]

    > > Whats a trap bar?

    > http://www.bigfitness.com/hextrapbar.html
    >

    > --
    > Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

    Gotta use hands with a Trap Bar, I don't believe in using hands for stuff
    like that. Hands have there place, but when its time for the legs to shine,
    hands just get in the way.

  14. Hugh Beyer

    Hugh Beyer Guest

    "dl" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > "Scott Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    >> BillyBob "Bubba" Farnsworth III wrote:
    >> > "Scott Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> > message news:[email protected]

    > http://www.netsweat.com/Fitness_Equipment_Store/product.php?pid=FRANK-

    ZAN
    > E-L

    >> > of

    >> > the

    >> > twisting

    >> > Whats a trap bar?

    >> http://www.bigfitness.com/hextrapbar.html
    >>

    >> --
    >> Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

    > Gotta use hands with a Trap Bar, I don't believe in using hands for
    > stuff like that. Hands have there place, but when its time for the legs
    > to shine, hands just get in the way.

    There you go Scott, you can't build legs with deadlifts.

    LoL

    Hugh

    --
    Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will attend no other.