Steelman Stage Race - give me some opinions

gabbard

New Member
Jul 21, 2003
I am considering a Steelman Stage Race frame. I have spoken to Brent Steelman once on the phone, and he has recommended a 58 or 59 cm, final size to be determined as/if we talk more. I currently own a steel frame, but the fit is not great and it is a very conservative design. I would like to give steel one more chance. I am 6' 1", 170#, will race the bike, love to climb (live in Colorado), no criteriums. I will be using this with a carbon fork, probably the Ouzo Pro.

So, if you own or have owned one of these frames, what did you think? If you bought it from Steelman directly, did you feel comfortable with the fitting process without him seeing you directly? Was the frame perfect, too stifff, not stiff enough? I will probably not upgrade to a fancy tubing set like the EOM unless really needed, so I will be using standard tubing diameters.

Steve

> I will probably not upgrade to a fancy tubing set like the EOM unless really needed, so I will be
> using standard tubing diameters.

for a bigger guy, using steel, the one thing /i/ would _not_ consider is standard diameter tube. my
personal experience of specifying a 62cm frame with standard diameter is that it had chronic
tendency to shimmy. the one i bought to replace it, same geometry, has o/s tubes and it's been a
/significant/ improvement. and the cost increment between the two is minor [if not zero] for the
same tube material.

jb

Originally posted by Jim Beam
> I will probably not upgrade to a fancy tubing set like the EOM unless really needed, so I will be
> using standard tubing diameters.

for a bigger guy, using steel, the one thing /i/ would _not_ consider is standard diameter tube. my
personal experience of specifying a 62cm frame with standard diameter is that it had chronic
tendency to shimmy. the one i bought to replace it, same geometry, has o/s tubes and it's been a
/significant/ improvement. and the cost increment between the two is minor [if not zero] for the
same tube material.

jb

JB,

I probably should have clarified. What I was considering standard diameters was "old" standards, as in 1 1/8" maximum diameter tubes. The stock Stage Race diameters are a 35 mm DT, with proportional other tubing. The larger EOM tubing is up to 44 mm diameter, I believe. So, would you go to a 44 mm diameter? In this case, the EOM is about $200 more, mainly due to it being harder to work with, and thus adding a bit of labor.

Steve

I like trying different bikes, and had long wanted a Steelman but never managed to buy one. I found
two years ago in like new condition with less than 100 miles on it at a great price ($475 w/new
Ultegra headset and bottom bracket).

The wait was well worth it! The welds are absolutely flawless, and the powdercoated metallic blue
paint looks like wet paint...very nice. The Steelman builds up very nicely and easily as the
alignment and frame construction details are spot on accurate. The Steelman is a perfect
all-around road bike...stable on descents, quick on sprints, smooth on long straights, and not a
liability on hills.

They are also great to work with after the sale. I inquired about a new seatpost binder clamp and
they indicated the one I had was an older model...they sent a new one at no cost even though I had
not bought the bike from them directly.

Brent Steelman seems to have put the same quality and design that he puts into his SR top end frame
and fork into the SR 525, but at a lower price. I only wish I had bought a Steelman years ago!

I still like to buy and sell bikes, but the Steelman is the one bike I have that is not for sale.

========================

"gabbard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am considering a Steelman Stage Race frame. I have spoken to Brent Steelman once on the phone,
> and he has recommended a 58 or 59 cm, final size to be determined as/if we talk more. I currently
> own a steel frame, but the fit is not great and it is a very conservative design. I would like to
> give steel one more chance. I am 6' 1", 170#, will race the bike, love to climb (live in
> Colorado), no criteriums. I will be using this with a carbon fork, probably the Ouzo Pro.
>
> So, if you own or have owned one of these frames, what did you think? If you bought it from
> Steelman directly, did you feel comfortable with the fitting process without him seeing you
> directly? Was the frame perfect, too stifff, not stiff enough? I will probably not upgrade to a
> fancy tubing set like the EOM unless really needed, so I will be using standard tubing diameters.
>

> Steve

> The stock Stage Race diameters are a 35 mm DT, with proportional other tubing. The larger EOM
> tubing is up to 44 mm diameter, I believe. So, would you go to a 44 mm diameter?

yes, 35 dt ought to be fine. that's what i have and it's pretty good. it helps to have a top tube at
least the same diameter as the seat tube as well.