steep hill descent

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by briguymaine, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. briguymaine

    briguymaine Guest

    Is there a trick to descending steeper hills? I've got this hill project
    that I am working on and can't seem to complete. It's not huge but it is
    really steep at the top and there is a bump at the top that I have to
    get over and then drop right in, it's sandy with some small round rocks.
    I started out going down and would eject over the front, so I tried to
    compensate and today I wound up on my butt most of the time. I have made
    it about halfway down but it wasn't very pretty!

    I suspect it's just a matter of riding the slides and maintaining really
    great balance. But any tricks that anyone might have would be extremely
    helpful.

    I have a KH 24 Freeride with a brake if that matters.

    --
    briguymaine

    Life is like a box of chocolates? I hate chocolate.
    'My blog is at www.munitard.com' (http://www.munitard.com)
    briguymaine's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9257

  2. unigamer

    unigamer Guest

    I had a look at you site and the hill looks fairly easy but it's hard to
    judge from photographs. I would just go slowly and then when I got to a
    certain point (maybe 3/4 the way down) speed up and roll out. If you
    leave it for a week or two you may find that you can do it easily.

    --
    unigamer - http://www.nbog.co.uk

    'Unigamer's Site' (http://nbog.co.uk)

    'Unigamer's Album' (http://nbog.co.uk/album/index.php)
    unigamer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6673

  3. tholub

    tholub Guest

    briguymaine wrote:
    > *Is there a trick to descending steeper hills? I've got this hill
    > project that I am working on and can't seem to complete. It's not huge
    > but it is really steep at the top and there is a bump at the top that
    > I have to get over and then drop right in, it's sandy with some small
    > round rocks. I started out going down and would eject over the front,
    > so I tried to compensate and today I wound up on my butt most of the
    > time. I have made it about halfway down but it wasn't very pretty!
    >
    > I suspect it's just a matter of riding the slides and maintaining
    > really great balance. But any tricks that anyone might have would be
    > extremely helpful.
    >
    > I have a KH 24 Freeride with a brake if that matters. *

    Try blasting it; instead of spending a lot of energy controlling your
    speed, try to ride it quickly. If you keep the uni under you and keep
    the pedals turning, you'll tend to get to the bottom of any hill. It's
    mostly a question of getting over your nervousness.

    --
    tholub - Kinetic Sculptor

  4. Schmidty563

    Schmidty563 Guest

    if its not too long then u could go slow if ur not up for speeding down
    it
    all u hav to do is lean back and instead of pushing the pedals like
    riding u just prevent them from spining quickly (its all in the quads)
    or u can go quickly

    --
    Schmidty563 - fearless unicyclist

    dude, unicycling is awesome
    Schmidty563's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9867

  5. briguymaine

    briguymaine Guest

    unigamer wrote:
    > *I had a look at you site and the hill looks fairly easy but it's hard
    > to judge from photographs. I would just go slowly and then when I got
    > to a certain point (maybe 3/4 the way down) speed up and roll out. If
    > you leave it for a week or two you may find that you can do it easily.
    > *

    Those pictures are a bit decieving, even to me! I look at them and
    think, it's not that big darn it, why am I having this much trouble! The
    top 5 feet or so is the trouble spot, it's nearly vertical and made up
    of loose sandy gravel, my wheel slips and away I go.

    Thanks for the replies, I'll try a bit of all of your suggestions!

    --
    briguymaine

    Life is like a box of chocolates? I hate chocolate.
    'My blog is at www.munitard.com' (http://www.munitard.com)
    briguymaine's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9257

  6. zoharj

    zoharj Guest

  7. Looks safe.

    Tips:
    Stare at the pictures.
    Get to the top and imagine the pics in your mind.
    See yourself riding down the "easy" slope.
    Then, like tholub said, pedal quickly.

    The key is to see the success in your mind first.

    --
    ChangingLINKS.com - member

    Drew Brown
    'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)
    ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

  8. ColDawG

    ColDawG Guest

    I wouldn't worry about going fast because there's plenty of flat ground
    to run out onto (or roll if you fall).
    I'd bomb down that first 5 feet of loose stuff, then use your brake to
    gradually slow down.
    or try the inverse, go slow and slide through the sandy stuff, and if
    you're still on your uni, then bomb down the rest of it or use your
    brake or a combination of the two

    good luck

    i just got a brake for my Freeride and i'm lovin it. i got it because I
    couldn't do some hills that were really steep (like that or steeper) and
    also a 1.5 mile singletrack descent rendered my quads useless for the
    next few days

    --
    ColDawG - I go both ways:

    Your friendly, neighborhood Muniman
    ColDawG's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9503

  9. Ditto on the 'The key is to see the success in your mind first.' Thats
    important.

    Also, pull on the handle, as if your pulling yourself down on the
    pedals. Forget about the hill and speeds and techniques, and just
    concentrate on staying on the pedals.

    --
    forrestunifreak - The buck stops here.

    warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.

    it has been known to the state of california to cause warts, toe jam,
    ring-around-the-collar, compulsive twitching, and in some severe cases,
    diaper rash.
    it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pshycological nudity, and
    traces of peanuts.

    Team YAMS member.....

  10. vivalargo

    vivalargo Guest

    The trick to doing steep dirt (as you described) is to limit your speed
    without back-pressuring the pedals so hard you punch out of traction.
    Keep a slow, even spin going, as opposed to a stop-and-start jerky
    motion, which can quickly skid you out, especially on steep shale or
    loose dirt. Most of the hard trails in my hometown (in the Sasnta
    Monica mountains) are on shale/dirt, and it took me months before i
    could ride most of the single tracks without skidding out, often right
    onto my ass, a dozen or more times a trip. The looseness makes it hard,
    not the steepness.

    Steep, loose terrain is much, much easier is a brake. It is amazing how
    slowly and smothly you can descend on super steep stuff with a true rim
    and a Magura. Sometimes I have the brake nearly locked and sort of bleed
    down the trail. One single track in particular is easily twice as hard
    and three times as strenuous without a brake.

    I think one of the sketchiest kinds of terrain is steep shale-loose dirt
    that also has steps or drops. You can sometimes bomb this kind of
    terrain but I´ve taken some aweful falls trying this. The slightest
    bounce on the steep loose stuff and you´re off. One time I couldn´t run
    out a UPD (too steep and too fast), summersalted down and got all tore
    up. There´s a pretty notorious single track, called Suicide, in the San
    Fernando Valley that Teacherdad put us onto, with one section of
    insanely steep shale strewn over twisty, rocky ledges. If it were hard
    pack it would certainly go. I don´t know if anyone could maintain
    enough traction to ride it over shale. It was the only part Eyal and I
    could not ride--we did not even try.

    This would be a really good subject for a comprehensive video
    tutorial.

    JL

    --
    vivalargo - Santa Barbara Unicycle Club
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

  11. leeman180

    leeman180 Guest

  12. Am I the only one who follows the philosopy of "If you can't ride
    something steep by pedalling, then don't pedal."?

    All the *super* steep thigs I've ridden have been on loose gravel or
    dust and pebbles (sharp ones). Rather than spinning my a$$ off trying to
    keep up with gravity, I just stop the wheel and skid when things feel
    right. The ability to control one's skid is an important muni skil, IMO.
    Then again, maybe I just suck at muni and what I consider steep is
    nothing. Also, a controlled skid is useless in a place like slickrock,
    since it's damn near impossible to lose traction on that stuff.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Nick's main man.

    "I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
    there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

  13. THE dave

    THE dave Guest

    skid skid skid, if you wash out when you try to pedal, hold your break
    and lean just back of balanced. if you feel the wheel catch, let up on
    the break just tiny bit. like forest said, keep your feet on the
    pedals... if you get frustrated, just try to gap the steep part
    might not work... but thats okay... crashing is great
    good luck

    --
    THE dave - Telemark Master

    Toast
    dave

    My nimbus is brokish...
    MUni 4 Life
    psychoteledave2(at)hotmail(dot)com
    THE dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9259

  14. vivalargo

    vivalargo Guest

  15. gerblefranklin wrote:
    > *Am I the only one who follows the philosopy of "If you can't ride
    > something steep by pedalling, then don't pedal."?
    >
    > All the *super* steep thigs I've ridden have been on loose gravel or
    > dust and pebbles (sharp ones). Rather than spinning my a$$ off trying
    > to keep up with gravity, I just stop the wheel and skid when things
    > feel right. The ability to control one's skid is an important muni
    > skil, IMO. Then again, maybe I just suck at muni and what I consider
    > steep is nothing. Also, a controlled skid is useless in a place like
    > slickrock, since it's damn near impossible to lose traction on that
    > stuff. *

    I do that, and was thinking of a good way to say tyhat. Steepest hill
    I've done was in deep gravel.

    also Like the dave said. Little controlled hops down the steepest part
    can help.

    --
    forrestunifreak - The buck stops here.

    warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.

    it has been known to the state of california to cause warts, toe jam,
    ring-around-the-collar, compulsive twitching, and in some severe cases,
    diaper rash.
    it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pshycological nudity, and
    traces of peanuts.

    Team YAMS member.....

  16. briguymaine

    briguymaine Guest

    forrestunifreak wrote:
    > *Ditto on the 'The key is to see the success in your mind first.'
    > Thats important.
    >
    > Also, pull on the handle, as if your pulling yourself down on the
    > pedals. Forget about the hill and speeds and techniques, and just
    > concentrate on staying on the pedals. *

    It's funny you say that because many many times, I'll drop into the
    first few feet and feel pretty good and then the thought, "hey, I'm
    gonna make it" flashes through my head and then it seems to fall apart!
    The other day I walked out to the hill to show my wife what this hill is
    that I am always talking about (she was impressed!). I stood at the top
    looked down and instantly thought what is so hard about this.

    I'm pretty sure I am pedalling slow and consistent but I'm not positive.
    I've only been riding muni since May so things still seem to happen
    quickly. It's frustrating but I'll get this thing done and I'm having a
    blast trying.

    --
    briguymaine

    Life is like a box of chocolates? I hate chocolate.
    'My blog is at www.munitard.com' (http://www.munitard.com)
    briguymaine's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9257

  17. briguymaine

    briguymaine Guest

    I made it! Finally, after months of trying. Thanks to all for your
    helpful suggestions, I think I wound up incorporating almost all of them
    into my technique.

    About a week ago I felt like I was finally one with my uni, a feeling I
    have had with my bike since childhood. This morning I just focused on
    staying centered over the wheel. It all just clicked, everything slowed
    down to the point where I could feel everything and recognise what was
    happening and adjust accordingly.

    What a relief! I am so psyched!!!!!!

    --
    briguymaine

    Life is like a box of chocolates? I hate chocolate.
    'My blog is at www.munitard.com' (http://www.munitard.com)
    briguymaine's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9257

  18. unigamer

    unigamer Guest

    Well Done!

    It almost makes it worth it that you couldn't do it in the first place
    just for the satisfaction of beating it now. The only problem is that
    the euphoria will disappear as soon as you find another harder hill. :D

    --
    unigamer - http://www.nbog.co.uk

    'Unigamer's Site' (http://nbog.co.uk)

    'Unigamer's Album' (http://nbog.co.uk/album/index.php)