Steepest/biggest climbs in Sydney?

ksl

Feb 15, 2004
Hi all,

Wondering where the biggest/longest/steepest climbs are in the Sydney region.

My nominations:
1. off road: climbing out of the Anderson's fire trail (I'm reduced to walking)
2. road: Princes street up to the Royal Rehab Centre in Ryde. Short but a steep little bugger. Can't do it on my road bike. Glenhaven Road up to Old Northern Road is quite a climb too.

I'm sure people can do better, but it's a start!

i haven't done it for ages (years), but i recall the run up from the Audley weir wasn't exactly a sprint.

ksl said:
My nominations:
1. off road: climbing out of the Anderson's fire trail (I'm reduced to walking)
2. road: Princes street up to the Royal Rehab Centre in Ryde. Short but a steep little bugger. Can't do it on my road bike. !

Yeah i must amidt, the one in ryde is a beast, i really struggle to push up that hill have to get out of the seat and really push the whole way up it, the thing that makes it hard it it changes gradient so u can get stuck in the a too high gear and really struggle to get to the top. I don't think i have found a steeper climb than that. There is also the climb Ives up to the Bah Tempal is steep on the way to the beach.

The climb out of lithgow going up into the blue mountains is a steep long climb and also the one on the bells liner road going that way over the mountains is nice and steep and long. The other way over the mountains is really that hard as it takes awhile to get to the top, so is a easy gradient.
Climb on the Old Pacific Highway going North out of Mooney, Mooney is a long climb, and the next one after that is nice and steep.

Off Road, the one in the Ourimbah state Forest in the Central Coast going from Palm Dale up is a steep long bugger. Can't think of many other long bugger off-road, lots of short sharp steep ones where they put the concert down so firetrucks can still get down without sliding, but none really long.

But i'm sure there is better thats from my small observations, come on we have to have some climbs like in the TOUR somewhere.

oops thought we meant the metro area only. :)

Don't know the one at Ryde.

But that one at Lithgow is hard enough to drive up :)

scotty72 said:
oops thought we meant the metro area only. :)

Don't know the one at Ryde.

But that one at Lithgow is hard enough to drive up :)
i think the rydedale rd (west ryde) one running up toward toward eastwood past the back of Ryde Hospital is steeper than princes... i remember my old 2spd Corolla started going backwards

offroad... the climb out of Oakes is pretty nasty and yes, Audley one was a quad burner

I have heard that the climb out from Bobbin Head to Mt Colah(3km @ 7% I think) is pretty hard compared to most around sydney, worst thing is on Sunday afternoon when people have been down for a picnic and have had a few drinks then cut you off at all the corners. Its on all my usual ride and I enjoy the challenge of climbing it. Climbing the opposite side is alot easier, same height but spread over 3.8km.

OzPundit said:
I have heard that the climb out from Bobbin Head to Mt Colah(3km @ 7% I think) is pretty hard compared to most around sydney, worst thing is on Sunday afternoon when people have been down for a picnic and have had a few drinks then cut you off at all the corners. Its on all my usual ride and I enjoy the challenge of climbing it. Climbing the opposite side is alot easier, same height but spread over 3.8km.

Where is the 3km measured to, the wildlife centre?

Come on don't we have anything any where to match Le TOUR de FRANCE hills all we have is mountains and well they only climb 1000m over like 40km. thats only like 2%.

I've done most of those climbs mentioned in this thread and by far the hardest is Bells Line of road up to Kurrajong Heights. It was the closest I have come to getting off and walking. Check out www.muggaccinos.com
Andrew

I am just a new member to this forum and have been admiring the responses to questions asked by members within this site. Keep up the good work guys.

Now given that I live in Melbourne I can't be of any help apart from the site below.

http://www.cycle2max.com/c2m/climbs.nsf

Hope this helps

Daniel

farraflash said:
How do you people rate Macquarie Pass as a climb?

Where is macquarie pass?

and also bells liner road is a beast but all the way out in the middle of no where,

OzPundit said:
Yes, it is 3km from the bridge up to the wildlife centre (Kalkarri)

I have it at 3.25km from 60 km p/h Speed sign past far end of Tourist Information Building 50m North of Bridge to Kalkari Reserve sign, in between 1st and 2nd gates and 4.58% rise

Here's a good one: ride to Hornsby from wherever you live, drop down into Galston Gorge,ride up through Galston and Arcadia and then drop down to Berowra Waters. Catch the punt across Berowra Creek and ride up to Berowra. Ride along the highway to Mt Colah and then descend to Bobbin Head. Climb up to Turramurra and then return home. Reverse order equally good.
Total ascent, including my return trip from Erskineville, is 1400m over 115km.

banjoml said:
Where is macquarie pass?
Goes between Robertson and Albion Park Rail.

If you're still wondering, that is the Illawarra Hwy between Wollongong and Moss Vale

Scotty

farraflash said:
How do you people rate Macquarie Pass as a climb?
Maquarie pass is 11km long from the base at around 40m alt to the top at the robertson pie shop at around 7-800M alt.

the road takes you from albion park just south of wollongong to Bowral in the southern Highlands.

I have done the ride heaps of times from when i lived at Cronulla in sydney.
240km round trip.

The ride is hard but you do find a rythm and it is pretty satisfying. Beutiful place to ride, the views are amazing.

But the hardest climb in the area would have to be bulli pass 3km long
with 15% in some sections. Those with dicky knees beware!!

The top of Mt Kirra lookout for around 50 metres is extemely steep. The first time i rode up it, me and my mate looked at each other and burst into fits of laughter at its steepness. Had to pull over to recover from the oxygen sapping laughter.

MPCRUSHER said:
The top of Mt Kirra lookout for around 50 metres is extemely steep. The first time i rode up it, me and my mate looked at each other and burst into fits of laughter at its steepness. Had to pull over to recover from the oxygen sapping laughter.
Laughing or crying?

MPCRUSHER said:
Maquarie pass is 11km long from the base at around 40m alt to the top at the robertson pie shop at around 7-800M alt.
Just checked it out, you're pretty much spot on

38 metres at the bootom of the pass

Robertson is 740 metres