Steerer length question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mark Vieselmeye, May 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. For a threadless steerer, how much difference can there be between the top of the steerer and the
    top of the stem clamp? (it's an aluminum steerer if that matters).

Thanks,

- mark

Tags:

2. << For a threadless steerer, how much difference can there be between the top of the steerer and the
    top of the stem clamp? (it's an aluminum steerer if that matters).

3-5mm, with 3mm being ideal.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

3. Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:

: << For a threadless steerer, how much difference can there be between the top of the steerer and
    : the top of the stem clamp? (it's an aluminum steerer if that matters).

: 3-5mm, with 3mm being ideal.

So what kind of problems might I have if I exceed 5mm? What I've got is a 64cm frame with a really
    long head-tube, and a fork with a 300mm steerer, with not much showing above the headset. I have one
    skinny stem with a clamp that fits within 5mm, but it's an mtb stem, and all of the other stems I've
    looked at are much fatter, leaving 1/2-3/4" difference. I'm not sure how many options I'll have
    within the recommended limits, so I'm wondering how much I can fudge.

- mark

4. Mark Hickey

Mark Hickey Guest

Mark Vieselmeyer <[email protected]> wrote:

>Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >: << For a threadless steerer, how much difference can there be between the top of the steerer and
    >: the top of the stem clamp? (it's an aluminum steerer if that matters).
    >
    >: 3-5mm, with 3mm being ideal.
    >
    >So what kind of problems might I have if I exceed 5mm? What I've got is a 64cm frame with a really
    >long head-tube, and a fork with a 300mm steerer, with not much showing above the headset. I have
    >one skinny stem with a clamp that fits within 5mm, but it's an mtb stem, and all of the other stems
    >I've looked at are much fatter, leaving 1/2-3/4" difference. I'm not sure how many options I'll
    >have within the recommended limits, so I'm wondering how much I can fudge.

For a big guy on a big bike, I wouldn't dream of fudging. You might be able to have a few mm of
    material removed from the top and bottom of the head tube with a quality facing tool.

The road stem with the shortest clamps include:

Cinelli Solido - 34mm FSA RD-120 - 35mm ITM Millenium - 34mm 3T Zepp - 34mm

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

5. Andymorris

Andymorris Guest

Mark Hickey wrote:

> For a big guy on a big bike, I wouldn't dream of fudging. You might be able to have a few mm of
    > material removed from the top and bottom of the head tube with a quality facing tool.
    >
    > The road stem with the shortest clamps include:
    >
    > Cinelli Solido - 34mm FSA RD-120 - 35mm ITM Millenium - 34mm 3T Zepp - 34mm
    >

Looking at the headset stack height might get a few mm?

--
    Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this: Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes
    http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

6. Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Mark Vieselmeyer <[email protected]> wrote:

> >So what kind of problems might I have if I exceed 5mm? What I've got is a 64cm frame with a
    > >really long head-tube, and a fork with a 300mm steerer, with not much showing above the headset.
    > >I have one skinny stem with a clamp that fits within 5mm, but it's an mtb stem, and all of the
    > >other stems I've looked at are much fatter, leaving 1/2-3/4" difference. I'm not sure how many
    > >options I'll have within the recommended limits, so I'm wondering how much I can fudge.
    >
    > For a big guy on a big bike, I wouldn't dream of fudging. You might be able to have a few mm of
    > material removed from the top and bottom of the head tube with a quality facing tool.
    >
    > The road stem with the shortest clamps include:
    >
    > Cinelli Solido - 34mm FSA RD-120 - 35mm ITM Millenium - 34mm 3T Zepp - 34mm

The mtb stem I'm currently using is 35mm, so one of those should work for me. Thanks for the info!

- mark

7. "AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Mark Hickey wrote:
    >
    > > For a big guy on a big bike, I wouldn't dream of fudging. You might be able to have a few mm of
    > > material removed from the top and bottom of the head tube with a quality facing tool.
    > >
    > > The road stem with the shortest clamps include:
    > >
    > > Cinelli Solido - 34mm FSA RD-120 - 35mm ITM Millenium - 34mm 3T Zepp - 34mm
    >
    > Looking at the headset stack height might get a few mm?

My stack height is 28mm. I was able to find a Campagnolo at 24.5mm, so there's definitely some
    possibility there (and my current headset was only ten bucks, so it's not like it would be a huge
    loss). I think I'll check into those stems first, though.

Thanks,

- mark

8. Mark Hickey

Mark Hickey Guest

[email protected] (Mark Vieselmeyer) wrote:

>"AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Mark Hickey wrote:
    >>
    >> > For a big guy on a big bike, I wouldn't dream of fudging. You might be able to have a few mm of
    >> > material removed from the top and bottom of the head tube with a quality facing tool.
    >> >
    >> > The road stem with the shortest clamps include:
    >> >
    >> > Cinelli Solido - 34mm FSA RD-120 - 35mm ITM Millenium - 34mm 3T Zepp - 34mm
    >>
    >> Looking at the headset stack height might get a few mm?
    >
    >My stack height is 28mm. I was able to find a Campagnolo at 24.5mm, so there's definitely some
    >possibility there (and my current headset was only ten bucks, so it's not like it would be a huge
    >loss). I think I'll check into those stems first, though.

FWIW, "Aheadset" makes a couple pretty low stack headsets that are very inexpensive (1" steel with
    a stack height of 24.5mm, and a 1-1/8" steel with a 25mm stack height - both should cost well
    under $20).

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.