STEERER SPACES ROTATING

Matty J

Guest
I changed the stem on my threadless headset and cant seem
to get the stem tight enough against the spacers to keep
them from being able to rotate with my fingers .whats the
trick here?

On 26 May 2004 16:54:06 -0700, [email protected] (matty j) wrote:

>I changed the stem on my threadless headset and cant seem
>to get the stem tight enough against the spacers to keep
>them from being able to rotate with my fingers .whats the
>trick here?

The stem cap bolt is used to bear down on the stem (while
it's still fairly loose) to adjust the headset. Once the
play is gone and the bearings adjusted, tighten the stem. I
suppose it would be possible to be able to rotate the
spacers with a correctly adjusted headset. Never tried.

On 26 May 2004 16:54:06 -0700, [email protected] (matty j) may have
said:

>I changed the stem on my threadless headset and cant seem
>to get the stem tight enough against the spacers to keep
>them from being able to rotate with my fingers .whats the
>trick here?

You're probably bottoming out the top cap before the slack
is taken up. You most likely need more spacers.

See http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_headthread-
less.shtml

alternate URL for the wrap-bothered:

http://tinyurl.com/2tk7p

--
My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via
e-mail. Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature. Words

"matty j" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I changed the stem on my threadless headset and cant seem
> to get the stem tight enough against the spacers to keep
> them from being able to rotate with my fingers .whats the
> trick here?

Not all stems have the same grip depth on the steerer, so
you apparently need to add spacers, or change a thin one for
a thicker one.

Measure the grip depth of your old stem and compare.

Beware, spacers are a standard ripoff article, you can pay a
shocking amount for a tiny one, depending where you shop.
--
Mark South Citizen of the World, Denizen of the Net <<Tiens!
Ce poulet a une grenade!

Dan Brussee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 26 May 2004 16:54:06 -0700, [email protected] (matty
> j) wrote:
>
> ....Once the play is gone and the bearings adjusted,
> tighten the stem. I suppose it would be possible to be
> able to rotate the spacers with a correctly adjusted
> headset. Never tried.

One simple test for steerer play is to rock the bike back
and forth with the front brake on and you on the bike. If
the steerer has play at all, you'll feel it. But again, if
there is no play in the headset, your fine. I have found
that smooth spacers will still rotate and even move around a
little fairly easily.

Nick

Originally posted by Werehatrack
said:

>I changed the stem on my threadless headset and cant seem
>to get the stem tight enough against the spacers to keep
>them from being able to rotate with my fingers .whats the
>trick here?

You're probably bottoming out the top cap before the slack
is taken up. You most likely need more spacers.

See http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_headthread-
less.shtml

alternate URL for the wrap-bothered:

http://tinyurl.com/2tk7p

--
My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via
e-mail. Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature. Words
processed in a facility that contains nuts.

werehatrack<

As I learned from a netizen on this group, you can handle the URL wrapping challenge be enclosing the URL in a set of "< >" as in

<http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_headthreadless.shtml>

It also seems to help if you put a line between the URL and previous text. It has been working for me. It saves time and keeps me from the tinyulr world.. which may be good or bad... I just like the idea.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>I changed the stem on my threadless headset and cant seem
>to get the stem tight enough against the spacers to keep
>them from being able to rotate with my fingers .whats the
>trick here?

You may need another spacer. If your new stem's clamp area
is shorter than the old one, you may be bottoming out and
not putting enough pre-load on the head set.
Alex