Stelvio Tires - First 1000 miles

Bill Anton

Guest
I got a flat the other day--my first one in about 800 miles. It was my "usual" kind of flat: the
tiny piece of glass that sticks in the tire and goes unnoticed for tens or hundreds of miles until
it finally wears its way through the Kevlar belt. So far I've got 1000 miles on the back tire (the
one that flatted) and 600 miles on the front tire that I installed when I went to the 26x26
configuration. So far I'm quite pleased with the speed, traction, and longevity of these tires, if
not the price, which is as expensive as car tires. Based just on my own visual inspection, it
appears I can expect to get another 1000 miles out of my back tire, which carries 65% of my 220
pounds. Based on what others have written on this and other boards, I wasn't expecting the Stelvio
to be a 2000 mile tire, yet so far they're wearing better than the 700c touring tires I used to have
on my upright bike. I also wan't expecting to go 800 miles between flats since switching from the
(much slower) 1.5" Marathons.

Anybody have similar experiences? Just how important is this TPI rating of the casing? Does this
number tell the whole story? For instance, I found an old post from Cletus (7 Feb 2003) that
compares the Stelvio (67 Ends Per Inch?) to the Continental GP (285 TPI). Somehow I don't think this
number tells the whole story. Does 4x the threads necessarily make a casing stronger? What if each
of the (Kevlar) threads in the Stelvio is 10x stronger than its counterpart in the GP?
--
Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 26x26 SWB OSS Lubbock, TX, USA

Hi Bill, Regarding "that tiny piece of glass that sticks in the tire ... until it finally wears its
way through ...": I've found that examining tires before riding results in finding a rather
surprising number of imbeded glass pieces, that can be removed. I've also found that getting a flat
on a performance tire is much less dramatic than on a high volume tire, as the performance tire flat
does not cause as much of a control problem. Al Kubeluis

"Bill Anton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2prWb.19752$Q_4.18901@okepread03...
> [...]

> pounds. Based on what others have written on this and other boards, I wasn't expecting the Stelvio
> to be a 2000 mile tire, yet so far they're wearing better than the 700c touring tires I used to
> have on my upright bike. I also wan't expecting to go 800 miles between flats since switching from
> the (much slower) 1.5" Marathons.
>
> Anybody have similar experiences? Just how important is this TPI rating of the casing? Does this
> number tell the whole story? For instance, I found an old post from Cletus (7 Feb 2003) that
> compares the Stelvio (67 Ends Per Inch?) to the Continental GP (285 TPI). Somehow I don't think
> this number tells the whole story. Does 4x the threads necessarily make a casing stronger? What if
> each of the (Kevlar) threads in the Stelvio is 10x stronger than its counterpart in the GP?

Bill: Having ridden with you I am surprised a piece of glass has the time to get into your tire. You
can motor.

My experience with Stelvios is the same as yours. On my Barcroft the front tire just turned 3400
miles, no flats. The rear gave me 1600 miles with only a sidewall cut flat. When the flat occured I
changed the tire. The new Stelvio has given me 1800 miles but the belts are beginning to show
through, no flats.

This experience is similar to the Grand Prixs I rode on my V-Rex. I find the Stelvios may not give
me as much mileage but they give me a smoother ride with the same performance as the GPs. As with
everything else, I think the mileage is indicative of the type and place of riding. Jam on the
brakes and skid and you aren't going to get a lot of miles. Run through rough choppy roads, mileage
goes down. I think the earlier problems with the Stelvios had to do with the initial set up of the
production machines at the factory, a problem Schwalbe says they have taken care of. From my
experience with the Stelvios, they have.

Mike S. St. Louis, MO

"Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi Bill, Regarding "that tiny piece of glass that sticks in the tire ... until
it
> finally wears its way through ...": I've found that examining tires before riding results in
> finding a rather surprising number of imbeded glass pieces, that can be removed.

I plead no contest on the grounds of laziness and complacency. Several hundred flat-free miles tends
to give one a sense of invincibility.

> I've also found that getting a flat on a performance tire is much less dramatic than on a high
> volume tire, as the performance tire flat does not cause as much of a control problem.

Yes, I can confirm that. The air leaked out slowly enough that there was no
PSSsssSSSsssSSSsssSSSssssssssss sound to tip me off. It wasn't 'till I turned a corner in my route
that the back end felt a little loose. By then I was down to maybe 15 or 20 PSI, and still made the
corner with no loss of control. The ultra-laid-back riding position on my bike makes it difficult to
sneak a peek at the rear tire while riding. Maybe I need to rig up a little mirror for that purpose.
Maybe someday we'll have electronic tire pressure sensors like in Buicks.

--
Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 26x26 SWB OSS Lubbock, TX, USA

"Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi Bill, Regarding "that tiny piece of glass that sticks in the tire ... until
it
> finally wears its way through ...": I've found that examining tires before riding results in
> finding a rather surprising number of imbeded glass pieces, that can be removed. I've also found
> that getting a flat on a performance tire is much less dramatic than on a high volume tire, as the
> performance tire flat does not cause as much of a control problem. Al Kubeluis
>
> "Bill Anton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2prWb.19752$Q_4.18901@okepread03...
> > I got a flat the other day--my first one in about 800 miles. It was my "usual" kind of flat: the
> > tiny piece of glass that sticks in the tire
and
> > goes unnoticed for tens or hundreds of miles until it finally wears its
> way
> > through the Kevlar belt. So far I've got 1000 miles on the back tire
(the
> > one that flatted) and 600 miles on the front tire that I installed when
> > went to the 26x26 configuration. So far I'm quite pleased with the
speed,
> > traction, and longevity of these tires, if not the price, which is as expensive as car tires.
> > Based just on my own visual inspection, it
> appears
> > I can expect to get another 1000 miles out of my back tire, which
carries
> > 65% of my 220 pounds. Based on what others have written on this and
other
> > boards, I wasn't expecting the Stelvio to be a 2000 mile tire, yet so
far
> > they're wearing better than the 700c touring tires I used to have on my upright bike. I also
> > wan't expecting to go 800 miles between flats
since
> > switching from the (much slower) 1.5" Marathons.
> >
> > Anybody have similar experiences? Just how important is this TPI rating
> of
> > the casing? Does this number tell the whole story? For instance, I
found
> > an old post from Cletus (7 Feb 2003) that compares the Stelvio (67 Ends
> Per
> > Inch?) to the Continental GP (285 TPI). Somehow I don't think this
number
> > tells the whole story. Does 4x the threads necessarily make a casing stronger? What if each of
> > the (Kevlar) threads in the Stelvio is 10x stronger than its counterpart in the GP?
> > --
> > Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 26x26 SWB OSS Lubbock, TX, USA

"mike s" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Bill: Having ridden with you I am surprised a piece of glass has the time to get into your tire.
> You can motor.

Yes, that was enjoyable. Drop by whenever you're in the neighborhood. Maybe next time I'll show
y'all the canyon for some great "3-D" cycling fun.

Unfortunately until somebody invents a mag-lev or hovercraft bike, there's always going to be 2
square inches of rubber in contact with the road, at least most of the time. As long as there are
ignoramuses around who derive intense pleasure from smashing beer bottles in the road, we'll
continue to get flats. Maybe someday we'll buy beer in plastic bottles and it'll be less of a
problem. Some brands of Scotch already come in plastic bottles, so who knows?

I really am quite pleased with my Stelvios and plan on buying more when the time comes. In fact, I
may buy an extra now, since they fold, so I can have a spare tire with me on longer rides. I got to
thinking on Monday that if I had really shredded the tire from riding it without air, I'd pretty
much have to phone a friend or a taxi to get home, since I was a good 18 miles from the house. At
least we get good cell phone service here on the plains!

--
Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 26x26 SWB OSS Lubbock, TX, USA

"mike s" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Bill: Having ridden with you I am surprised a piece of glass has the time to get into your tire.
> You can motor.
>
> My experience with Stelvios is the same as yours. On my Barcroft the front tire just turned 3400
> miles, no flats. The rear gave me 1600 miles with only a sidewall cut flat. When the flat occured
> I changed the tire. The new Stelvio has given me 1800 miles but the belts are beginning to show
> through, no flats.
>
> This experience is similar to the Grand Prixs I rode on my V-Rex. I find the Stelvios may not give
> me as much mileage but they give me a smoother ride with the same performance as the GPs. As with
> everything else, I think the mileage is indicative of the type and place of riding. Jam on the
> brakes and skid and you aren't going to get a lot of miles. Run through rough choppy roads,
> mileage goes down. I think the earlier problems with the Stelvios had to do with the initial set
> up of the production machines at the factory, a problem Schwalbe says they have taken care of.
> From my experience with the Stelvios, they have.
>
> Mike S. St. Louis, MO

>Anybody have similar experiences? Lubbock, TX, USA

I can understand that in Texas these tires may work well, but if there is rain and glass, they are
not strong enough. I got 1 cm long cut from glass and had to replace the tire. Glass went easily
through the puncture protection slime.

Bill,

I have had experience on a set of Stelvios and Conti Grand Prix both on my Barcroft Dakota. In
regards to the Grand Prix, both front and rear gave me about 3000 miles and then they showed splits
on the road surface rubber. The sidewalls were what I was mostly keeping an eye on since threads
were starting to come off and the sidewalls always seemed a bit flimsy but held fine. I then got a
second set of Grand Prix and the front tire blew in the first 400 miles (believe it was much less
than that). The rubber covering the wire bead along the side wall was lacking some quality control
and there were some areas that had very skimpy covering of the bead. The tire actually blew when I
was walking my bike in a congested part of the NY City 5 Borough Bike Ride. It resulted in about a
2" gap along the sidewall and the bead. Somehow, I was able to continue riding after replacing the
flat with a new tube. I believe I put some plastic material or something in there to make the gap
smaller and then did not fill the tire to max but significantly less. The tire let loose after the
ride and I had it in the minivan. I returned the tire to Continental and they replaced it for free,
agreeing that the sidewall/bead area was defective.

When I received the Grand Prix replacement for the front, I stored it since I received it weeks
later and already had a new Stelvio on the front. The Stelvio also picked up a glass rock as you
described and it went thru the Kevlar layer. I replaced the tube and layed a rubber patch against
the inside tire road surface side since the hole was still there and was concerned of the area
eventually letting loose. That seemed to resolve the issue. The Stelvio seemed to have better
quality control along that bead/sidewall area and the sidewall area seemed a bit more robust than
the Grand Prix. However, the Stelvio was wearing the road surface rubber quicker than the Grand
Prix. The Stelvio had 1700 miles on it and then the dual layer compound seemed to be just starting
to separate when viewing the rubber that meets the road surface.

I just had my Dakota upgraded with new Thracian wheels and front Pantour hub. I have new Grand Prixs
back on again and so....I'll be watching those sidewalls again. Also replaced the rear gear
cassette, derailleur, chain, chain idler pulley, 3 cables and the RANS seatback fabric with the new
two tone one w/strap closures. Bill Cook was kind enough to get all the parts and do the
installation.

Larry Raphael Barcroft Dakota #002, Metallic Blue, 7000 miles (This was 2nd production model of the
Dakota, Dec 1999) Oakton, VA

"Bill Anton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<2prWb.19752$Q_4.18901@okepread03>...
> I got a flat the other day--my first one in about 800 miles. It was my "usual" kind of flat: the
> tiny piece of glass that sticks in the tire and goes unnoticed for tens or hundreds of miles until
> it finally wears its way through the Kevlar belt. So far I've got 1000 miles on the back tire (the
> one that flatted) and 600 miles on the front tire that I installed when I went to the 26x26
> configuration. So far I'm quite pleased with the speed, traction, and longevity of these tires, if
> not the price, which is as expensive as car tires. Based just on my own visual inspection, it
> appears I can expect to get another 1000 miles out of my back tire, which carries 65% of my 220
> pounds. Based on what others have written on this and other boards, I wasn't expecting the Stelvio
> to be a 2000 mile tire, yet so far they're wearing better than the 700c touring tires I used to
> have on my upright bike. I also wan't expecting to go 800 miles between flats since switching from
> the (much slower) 1.5" Marathons.
>
> Anybody have similar experiences? Just how important is this TPI rating of the casing? Does this
> number tell the whole story? For instance, I found an old post from Cletus (7 Feb 2003) that
> compares the Stelvio (67 Ends Per Inch?) to the Continental GP (285 TPI). Somehow I don't think
> this number tells the whole story. Does 4x the threads necessarily make a casing stronger? What if
> each of the (Kevlar) threads in the Stelvio is 10x stronger than its counterpart in the GP?

"Markku Poysti" <[email protected]_nospam> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Anybody have similar experiences? Lubbock, TX, USA
>
> I can understand that in Texas these tires may work well, but if there is
rain
> and glass, they are not strong enough. I got 1 cm long cut from glass and
had
> to replace the tire. Glass went easily through the puncture protection
slime.

Well then, is there another more durable high-performance 26"x1" tire that you would recommend over
the Stelvio? I'd like to hear about your experiences with various brands. Perhaps by these
comparisons we can all save money and frustration.

--
Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 26x26 SWB OSS Lubbock, TX, USA

"Markku Poysti" <[email protected]_nospam> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Anybody have similar experiences? Lubbock, TX, USA
>
> I can understand that in Texas these tires may work well, but if there is
rain
> and glass, they are not strong enough. I got 1 cm long cut from glass and
had
> to replace the tire. Glass went easily through the puncture protection
slime.

> Unfortunately until somebody invents a mag-lev or hovercraft bike, there's always going to be 2
> square inches of rubber in contact with the road, at least most of the time. As long as there are
> ignoramuses around who
derive
> intense pleasure from smashing beer bottles in the road, we'll continue to get flats. Maybe
> someday we'll buy beer in plastic bottles and it'll be less of a problem. Some brands of Scotch
> already come in plastic bottles, so who knows?

My problem with glass seems more related to the recyclers....in front of nearly every home where the
owner participates in recycling, there are ALWAYS bits of broken glass....which would seem to
indicate that the individual driving the recyling truck is breaking the glass while collecting it
(perhaps so it will not take up as much space) and lots of the smaller shards are winding up on the
street. Since I tend to spend most of my time riding neighborhood streets ( a nice little 20 mile
loop ) I am always dodging the sparkle on the road.

> I really am quite pleased with my Stelvios and plan on buying more when
the
> time comes. In fact, I may buy an extra now, since they fold, so I can
have
> a spare tire with me on longer rides. I got to thinking on Monday that if
> had really shredded the tire from riding it without air, I'd pretty much have to phone a friend or
> a taxi to get home, since I was a good 18 miles from the house. At least we get good cell phone
> service here on the
plains!

I put a new Stelvio up front and have been happy with it so far (replaced a Conti GP). The back will
be replaced this year.

Jay Adair 1999 Vision R-45 26x20 SWB USS

> --
> Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 26x26 SWB OSS Lubbock, TX, USA
>
> "mike s" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Bill: Having ridden with you I am surprised a piece of glass has the time to get into your tire.
> > You can motor.
> >
> > My experience with Stelvios is the same as yours. On my Barcroft the front tire just turned 3400
> > miles, no flats. The rear gave me 1600 miles with only a sidewall cut flat. When the flat
> > occured I changed the tire. The new Stelvio has given me 1800 miles but the belts are beginning
> > to show through, no flats.
> >
> > This experience is similar to the Grand Prixs I rode on my V-Rex. I find the Stelvios may not
> > give me as much mileage but they give me a smoother ride with the same performance as the GPs.
> > As with everything else, I think the mileage is indicative of the type and place of riding. Jam
> > on the brakes and skid and you aren't going to get a lot of miles. Run through rough choppy
> > roads, mileage goes down. I think the earlier problems with the Stelvios had to do with the
> > initial set up of the production machines at the factory, a problem Schwalbe says they have
> > taken care of. From my experience with the Stelvios, they have.
> >
> > Mike S. St. Louis, MO

I can only say that Stevlio's wear about as well as most other performance tires. Somewhere between
1500 to 2000 miles is about all you can expect from the rear tire. As far as flat prone I had a flat
on one in the first 5 miles of putting it on. However, the pice of glass shard that caused the flat
would have punctured a Maxxis Hookworm. I have been riding recumbent since 99' and I have had two
flats. The aforementioned one and one on a Hutchenson 26X1 Carbon Comp Top Lite. It just began to
seperate during a ride. My own falult, it had in excess of 2K on it. It was the only scheduled ride
I had not completed in....I can't remember. Al had to get my truck an come an pick me up. Duct tape
got me about 5 miles but on a downhill stretch at about 20 mph it blew. Sounded like a 22 LR. I just
put some Stelvio 571X20mm tires on my disk wheels in anticipation of better weather...we shall see.

Jude No Flat

news:[email protected]...

Bill Anton wrote:

> Well then, is there another more durable high-performance 26"x1" tire that you would recommend
> over the Stelvio? I'd like to hear about your experiences with various brands. Perhaps by these
> comparisons we can all save money and frustration.

Conti GP's seem to offer no advantage over Stelvios in that they seem to be equally
[durable|fragile], not as good vis-a-vis rolling resistance and just as expensive. I saw an IRC
Metro in my LBS the other day which look as though it might be quite durable, but instead bought a
Hutchinson Top Slick coz it was cheaper. In a week wherein I have had no fewer than FIVE visits from
the P+nct+r+ Fairy, it has so far remained intact...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

>Well then, is there another more durable high-performance 26"x1" tire that you would recommend over
>the Stelvio? I'd like to hear about your experiences with various brands. Perhaps by these
>comparisons we can all save money and frustration.

I'm going to try Schwalbe Marathon Slick next summer. Nokian Ultra Tour, the 37-559 version is
pretty well rolling and has tougher rubber that does not allow glass to dig into the tire so easily.

Another problem with Stelvios when touring was a crack in the road: the narrow tire dropped into it
and i got a snake bite puncture although i had the recommended 100 psi pressure.

Dave, The IRC Metro comes in a variety of 559/406 sizes, are durable and longlived. However IME they
are slugs in the performance area. The Top Slick which I used paired with a Primo Comet or Comp Pool
on my 559/406 bikes was considerably faster in downhill tests and roll outs on a pair of faired
V2's. After the tests the Metro equipped V2 owner scrapped the Metros and put Primo Racer/Comets
on.... upon testing again he regained what was lost to the Metros.

Jude

berlin.de...

Wheel Doctor wrote:

> The IRC Metro comes in a variety of 559/406 sizes, are durable and longlived. However IME
> they are slugs in the performance area.

Cheers, Doc. Might try one on the Speedmachine when the Top Slick dies. That gets used for
commuting, wherein reliability is more important than speed - time saved by having faster tyres is
rarely recouped by having to fix the results of a visit from the P+nct+r+ Fairy.

> The Top Slick which I used paired with a Primo Comet or Comp Pool on my 559/406 bikes was
> considerably faster in downhill tests and roll outs on a pair of faired V2's. After the tests the
> Metro equipped V2 owner scrapped the Metros and put Primo Racer/Comets on.... upon testing again
> he regained what was lost to the Metros.

Primos have a bit of a rep for fragility too, and also for zero wet road grip. Not sure what to do
about the front of the Speedmachine - at the moment it has an elderly GP I found in the shed after
the Stelvio died horribly, and anything much bigger than an S-Lick is unlikely to fit, IIRC.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Dave, Hard to believe that Metros are more expensive than Top Slicks? But what do I know about
pricing in GB. Primos do not perform too badly here. The Catrike Speed I recieved Tuesday has Kevlar
Primos on it with reflective sidewalls. I wonder if they are any better than the standard ones? This
is a really nice trike. I took it for a few spins. I have a cyclometer set up for it (wireless) I
had to fashion a bracket for the wheel sensor. I'm awaiting the epoxy to dry. If I enjoy the trike
enough while its awaiting it new home...I may get one for myself. Like I need more bike stuff. I
already have 4 wheelsets for the AERO. Currently running Stelvios on the HED Disk/HED3.

Cheers,

Jude

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...
> Wheel Doctor wrote:
>
> > The IRC Metro comes in a variety of 559/406 sizes, are durable and longlived. However IME
> > they are slugs in the performance area.
>
> Cheers, Doc. Might try one on the Speedmachine when the Top Slick dies. That gets used for
> commuting, wherein reliability is more important than speed - time saved by having faster tyres is
> rarely recouped by having to fix the results of a visit from the P+nct+r+ Fairy.
>
> > The Top Slick which I used paired with a Primo Comet or Comp Pool on my 559/406 bikes was
> > considerably faster in downhill tests and roll outs on a pair of faired V2's. After the tests
> > the Metro equipped V2 owner scrapped the Metros and put Primo Racer/Comets on.... upon testing
> > again he regained what was lost to the Metros.
>
> Primos have a bit of a rep for fragility too, and also for zero wet road grip. Not sure what to do
> about the front of the Speedmachine - at the moment it has an elderly GP I found in the shed after
> the Stelvio died horribly, and anything much bigger than an S-Lick is unlikely to fit,
IIRC.

> --
>
> Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
> http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

I have enjoyed this discussion but must say I have had different experiences. I ran Grand Prixs on
my V-Rex and found them fast and durable. I run Stelvios on my Barcroft Virginia and found they held
up every bit as well as the GPs. I found the difference between the two was more ride quality. The
GPs rode a little harsher. I had IRC Metros on my short-lived Rotator Tiger. Perhaps it was the bike
but I found their handling to be quite nimble and quick. Not to the level of the GPs or Stelvios but
nice. I ran Comp Pools on my Rocket and our Barcroft Columbia tandem and found them to be near as
fast as the GPs and Stelvios but much less puncture resistant. Faster than the S-Licks which came
with the tandem. I then switched out the Comp Pools on the Rocket for Schwalbe Marathon Slicks and
find them to be near impregnable but the speed performance is significantly compromised. What's
next? I am thinking of the new narrower Kenda Kwests which come standard on the Giro and which some
have said are faster than the Marathons and more durable than the Primos. Like everything else in
recumbency there is no perfect solution. Out of all this I concluded that if I want to go fast with
decent puncture resistance and a nice ride, Stelvios, perhaps a little longer life but with a little
less comfort, Grand Prixs. If what is most crucial is not getting flats and I don't care that much
about speed, Marathons. No universal answer.

Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.

Mike,

Appreciate your addl tire input into the mix. Actually, my review is not critical of either the
Stelvio or the Grand Prix just relaying my experiences. I guess what drove me to go back to the
Grand Prixs this time around was not that it was superior to the Stelvio but more that I already had
the brand new 20" Grand Prix that Conti sent me as a replacement. Also...Bill knowing I had the 20"
told me that he had a Grand Prix 26" rear with like next to no mileage on it that he would give me
and so....with the upgrades I was doing, couldn't pass up the basically free tires.

I probably agree with your ending statement "decent puncture resistance and a nice ride, Stelvios,
perhaps a little longer life but with a little less comfort, Grand Prixs". As far as your other
experiences, good info since I have no experience with any of those tires. I have had experience
with my mountain bike & associated tires from years past and the ones I liked most were the Avocet
Cross-Ks for road and off-road and the Conti Top Touring which were like 90% road and just a wee
bit off road capability. Being mtn bike tires (1.9" with substantial tread and 1.75" wide and
still pretty thick skinned, respectively), both of these were basically bullet proof to flats -
"Flats ? What's a flat ? Never had one !" and believe I had them long enough mile-wise to go thru
2 sets each. Of course, when on my mountain bike, for years I would finish the Seagull Century
(with rest breaks) between 7 - 8 1/2 hrs, whereas on my recumbent and with the 1" & 1 1/8" tires I
have had two sub 6 hours (less breaks and faster). The bike and the tires made the difference and
with older engine.

Larry Raphael Barcroft Dakota #002, Metallic Blue Oakton, Va

news:<[email protected]>...

Wheel Doctor wrote:

> Hard to believe that Metros are more expensive than Top Slicks? But what do I know about
> pricing in GB.

There wasn't much in it - a couple of pounds IIRC. I should have bought as many Top Slicks as I
could carry away when they were selling them for ten quid last year, though; a 559 Stelvio is
about 25 GBP...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Larry, Did I see you at the Bay to Bay ride year before last?

Jude on a Pumpkin Strada at that time.

> [...]
> > tandem and found them to be near as fast as the GPs and Stelvios but much less puncture
> > resistant. Faster than the S-Licks which came with the tandem. I then switched out the Comp
> > Pools on the Rocket for Schwalbe Marathon Slicks and find them to be near impregnable but the
> > speed performance is significantly compromised. What's next? I am thinking of the new narrower
> > Kenda Kwests which come standard on the Giro and which some have said are faster than the
> > Marathons and more durable than the Primos. Like everything else in recumbency there is no
> > perfect solution. Out of all this I concluded that if I want to go fast with decent puncture
> > resistance and a nice ride, Stelvios, perhaps a little longer life but with a little less
> > comfort, Grand Prixs. If what is most crucial is not getting flats and I don't care that much
> > about speed, Marathons. No universal answer.

Rich, Do I gather from your post that they are discontinued? I was about to put in an order fo some
Schwalb tires this week. I had these in my tire collection for about 6 months or more. They are
replacing some Fortezzas that were getting thin and since they actually do fit the HED-3 loosely I
thought I'd replace them. A shame if they are discontinued in the 571.

Jude