Stelvio Tires - First 1000 miles

Larry,

I just bought some Thracian wheels, (w/Stelvios) for the V2 and I was wondering if the Pantour hub
was worth the extra $$$. Have you had a chance to form an opinion about it and/or the wheels yet?

Thanks, Jack Davis Tailwind, V2, EZ1 L

----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Raphael" <[email protected]> Newsgroups:
alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 5:59 PM Subject: Re: Stelvio Tires -
First 1000 miles

> Bill,
>
> I have had experience on a set of Stelvios and Conti Grand Prix both on my Barcroft Dakota. In
> regards to the Grand Prix, both front and rear gave me about 3000 miles and then they showed
> splits on the road surface rubber. The sidewalls were what I was mostly keeping an eye on since
> threads were starting to come off and the sidewalls always seemed a bit flimsy but held fine. I
> then got a second set of Grand Prix and the front tire blew in the first 400 miles (believe it was
> much less than that). The rubber covering the wire bead along the side wall was lacking some
> quality control and there were some areas that had very skimpy covering of the bead. The tire
> actually blew when I was walking my bike in a congested part of the NY City 5 Borough Bike Ride.
> It resulted in about a 2" gap along the sidewall and the bead. Somehow, I was able to continue
> riding after replacing the flat with a new tube. I believe I put some plastic material or
> something in there to make the gap smaller and then did not fill the tire to max but significantly
> less. The tire let loose after the ride and I had it in the minivan. I returned the tire to
> Continental and they replaced it for free, agreeing that the sidewall/bead area was defective.
>
> When I received the Grand Prix replacement for the front, I stored it since I received it weeks
> later and already had a new Stelvio on the front. The Stelvio also picked up a glass rock as you
> described and it went thru the Kevlar layer. I replaced the tube and layed a rubber patch against
> the inside tire road surface side since the hole was still there and was concerned of the area
> eventually letting loose. That seemed to resolve the issue. The Stelvio seemed to have better
> quality control along that bead/sidewall area and the sidewall area seemed a bit more robust than
> the Grand Prix. However, the Stelvio was wearing the road surface rubber quicker than the Grand
> Prix. The Stelvio had 1700 miles on it and then the dual layer compound seemed to be just starting
> to separate when viewing the rubber that meets the road surface.
>
> I just had my Dakota upgraded with new Thracian wheels and front Pantour hub. I have new Grand
> Prixs back on again and so....I'll be watching those sidewalls again. Also replaced the rear gear
> cassette, derailleur, chain, chain idler pulley, 3 cables and the RANS seatback fabric with the
> new two tone one w/strap closures. Bill Cook was kind enough to get all the parts and do the
> installation.
>
> Larry Raphael Barcroft Dakota #002, Metallic Blue, 7000 miles (This was 2nd production model of
> the Dakota, Dec 1999) Oakton, VA

On my Ti Rush, a Pantour front hub improved ride quality and control. Although it is not a major
shock absorber, I feel it's worth the cost.

--
Bob Siegel in Gainesville FL "Jack Davis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> > robust than the Grand Prix. However, the Stelvio was wearing the road surface rubber quicker
> > than the Grand Prix. The Stelvio had 1700 miles on it and then the dual layer compound seemed to
> > be just starting to separate when viewing the rubber that meets the road surface.
> >
> > I just had my Dakota upgraded with new Thracian wheels and front Pantour hub. I have new Grand
> > Prixs back on again and so....I'll be watching those sidewalls again. Also replaced the rear
> > gear cassette, derailleur, chain, chain idler pulley, 3 cables and the RANS seatback fabric with
> > the new two tone one w/strap closures. Bill Cook was kind enough to get all the parts and do the
> > installation.
> >
> > Larry Raphael Barcroft Dakota #002, Metallic Blue, 7000 miles (This was 2nd production model of

Hi Jack !

Discussed this with you via EMails awhile ago. Just went back on this Board and see you had posted
here first. Anyway, here is a follow on answer about forming an opinion on the Pantour/Thracians. I
agree with Bob Siegel's answer - the Pantour is an improvement but not like real shock absorber. It
kind of smooths out the road imperfections. Went out riding for a longer distance this past Saturday
as the morning hours were decent temps. Interesting thing is that I noticed the rear wheel surface
gyrations were more noticeable. But after considering this for awhile, it then dawned on me why this
was the case. It was because the front wheel with the Pantour wws much smoother and since I was not
feeling much of any surface bumps and knocks, the rear just seemed to be more noticeable - probably
the way it was all of the time but with absence of front wheel knocks, etc. So, right now I would
say the Pantour is worth it but still the verdict is not in on long term testing. Have heard of some
individuals having to replace the elastomer and so not sure how common a problem or concern this is
- soinds like it is not a big deal since Pantour Hub can be turned 180 degrees and one can continue
riding. Then the elastomer , once received, can be replaced by consumer.

Larry Raphael Barcroft Dakota, Metallic Blue
#002 - Dec 1999
Oakton, VA