Stelvios on Airline rims?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Mikael Seierup, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. A bit late to ask this since I already ordered, but will a 28-559 Stelvio be happy on my 21-559 rim?

    And for the Devils Island Danes here. Seems Rolsted in Glostrup can get Stelvios fairly fast.
    Ordered yesterday and he said they'd be here Friday. Dunno about price but hopefully around 160 DKK
    each like in Odense.

    Cheers Mikael

    Tags:

  2. "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > A bit late to ask this since I already ordered, but will a 28-559 Stelvio be happy on my
    > 21-559 rim?
    >
    > And for the Devils Island Danes here. Seems Rolsted in Glostrup can get Stelvios fairly fast.
    > Ordered yesterday and he said they'd be here Friday. Dunno about price but hopefully around 160
    > DKK each like in Odense.

    yippiee.. I work 2miles from there. They should be able to get 451's as well, then (I hope..). I'll
    try them next time. What about your front wheel? Didn't it deserve a treat after your leaf-crash?

    Torben

  3. "Torben Scheel" skrev

    > yippiee.. I work 2miles from there. They should be able to get 451's as well, then (I hope..).
    > I'll try them next time. What about your front wheel? Didn't it deserve a treat after your
    > leaf-crash?

    I ordered a pair. 406/559. The tires had nothing to do with that crash btw. Too much speed and too
    tight a turn. I would have flopped over even riding a MTB.

    If you pass the shop check out the carbon roadbike they got in the back of the shop. I think it said
    "Spectre" on the frame. Really bad for your eyes and made me drool.

    <dansk mode on> Kender du et sted, hvor man kan købe reflekser til påsyning? Hvid og rød. Jeg
    mangler dem til min trailer. De selvklæbende ville ikke hænge fast. <dansk slukket, do>

    Mikael

  4. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > A bit late to ask this since I already ordered, but will a 28-559 Stelvio be happy on my
    > 21-559 rim?
    >
    > And for the Devils Island Danes here. Seems Rolsted in Glostrup can get Stelvios fairly fast.
    > Ordered yesterday and he said they'd be here Friday. Dunno about price but hopefully around 160
    > DKK each like in Odense.

    Did you check the tire sizing chart on Sheldon Brown's site?
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width

    If 21mm is the inside rim width, you may have a problem.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  5. "Cletus Lee" skrev
    > Did you check the tire sizing chart on Sheldon Brown's site?
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width
    >
    > If 21mm is the inside rim width, you may have a problem.

    Yep, I just swung by it actually. However pinch flats is probably not an issue on a recumbent
    anyway. I got one trying to get over a curb and then I learned. If the rim/tire doesnt work I at
    least have a good excuse for buying a lighter wheel. ;-)

    Mikael

  6. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > However pinch flats is probably not an issue on a recumbent anyway.

    Danish roads must be better maintained than Texas roads. And there must not be a Danish word for
    'pothole'. I can't wait!!

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  7. John Olson

    John Olson Guest

    Mikael Seierup wrote:
    > A bit late to ask this since I already ordered, but will a 28-559 Stelvio be happy on my
    > 21-559 rim?
    >
    > And for the Devils Island Danes here. Seems Rolsted in Glostrup can get Stelvios fairly fast.
    > Ordered yesterday and he said they'd be here Friday. Dunno about price but hopefully around 160
    > DKK each like in Odense.
    >
    > Cheers Mikael

    Is the Stelvio really a 28-559? I have a couple here that are 25-559, folding with a kevlar bead.

    It's the 406 size that is 28

    Ask your dealer rep about the new Stelvios coming out. New tread pattern, lower rolling resistance,
    better puncture protection, and the 406 will be available as a folding tyre with a kevlar bead
    (lighter too!). There's a few samples floating about, but you have to ask your Bohle rep really
    nicely to even look at them :)

    Cheers

    John

    ---

  8. Cletus Lee wrote

    > Danish roads must be better maintained than Texas roads. And there must not be a Danish word for
    > 'pothole'. I can't wait!!

    " Wait! What’s this in the road? A pothole! And another!! The reason why the first day was so tiring
    – 115 km along, 5 km dodging holes and another 5 up and down. Belgium, I take back everything I said
    about your roads. This *must* be England. Two weeks of Denmark have thoroughly spoiled us."

    extracted from http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/ego/Euro98.htm

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  9. "John Olson" skrev

    > Is the Stelvio really a 28-559? I have a couple here that are 25-559, folding with a kevlar bead.
    >
    > It's the 406 size that is 28

    Drat! You're right. That doesn't help me any. ;-)

    M.

  10. "Dave Larrington" skrev...

    > extracted from http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/ego/Euro98.htm

    Land of the giant rhubarb? Methinks thou meanst bearclaw. A very naughty plant thats not edible and
    whose sap in combination with sunlight will give you a nasty rash.

    And whats a "krøne"? :) Its called "krone" and "kroner". We still have a few viking ships around
    you know so better watch it. ;-)

    M.

  11. Cbb

    Cbb Guest

    > However pinch flats is probably not an issue on a recumbent anyway.
    I wish. I managed to get a pinch flat on the front tire of a BikeE. Not sure what I hit as it was
    under water (which is the reason I couldn't see it to avoid whatever it was). Craig

    > "Cletus Lee" skrev
    > > Did you check the tire sizing chart on Sheldon Brown's site?
    > > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width
    > >
    > > If 21mm is the inside rim width, you may have a problem.
    >
    > Yep, I just swung by it actually. However pinch flats is probably not an issue on a recumbent
    > anyway. I got one trying to get over a curb and then I learned. If the rim/tire doesnt work I at
    > least have a good excuse for buying a lighter wheel. ;-)
    >
    > Mikael

  12. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Mikael Seierup wrote:

    > And for the Devils Island Danes here....

    Why is it called Devils Island?

  13. "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > <dansk mode on> Kender du et sted, hvor man kan købe reflekser til påsyning? Hvid og rød. Jeg
    > mangler dem til min trailer. De selvklæbende ville ikke hænge fast. <dansk slukket, do>

    <danevolapyk> Anne Mette siger at det er moderne på sportstøj og overtøj, så de fleste stofbutikker
    har det. Har du overvejet noget der kan stryges på? </danevolapyk>

    Please don't mind this, we vere only commenting on one of ya' ;-)

  14. "Torben Scheel" skrev

    > <danevolapyk> Anne Mette siger at det er moderne på sportstøj og overtøj, så de fleste
    > stofbutikker har det. Har du overvejet noget der kan stryges på? </danevolapyk>

    Jeg fik nogle hvide stofreflekser i en uniforms-/arbejdstøjsbutik. Bagpå købte jeg et par
    billige katteøjer til skærme og pelsede reflekserne derfra. Boremaskine plus lidt syning burde
    klare den sag.

    Og tillykke med det kommende/overståede (?) bryllup. :)

    mvh Mikael

  15. Also sprach Mikael Seierup:

    > However pinch flats is probably not an issue on a recumbent anyway.

    I don't know what gives you this idea, but it's completely contrary to the reality.

    Recumbents are _more_ prone to pinch flats than uprights, all other things being equal, because it
    is not possible to "unweight" the rear wheel on a 'bent as one can on an upright.

    Sheldon "Wedgie" Brown Newtonville, Massachusetts +---------------------------------------------+
    | LEARN AND MAKE BIG MONY LIKE THE PROS |
    | THIRD ANNUAL NIGERIAN EMAIL CONFERENCE: |
    | http://j-walk.com/blog/docs/conference.htm |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  16. "Sheldon Brown" skrev

    > > However pinch flats is probably not an issue on a recumbent anyway.
    >
    > I don't know what gives you this idea, but it's completely contrary to the reality.
    >
    > Recumbents are _more_ prone to pinch flats than uprights, all other things being equal, because it
    > is not possible to "unweight" the rear wheel on a 'bent as one can on an upright.

    Yep, I know. As I said I learned this early on. Now I use the handlebars to steer around nasty holes
    etc. I knew there was some clever reason for them. ;-)

    M.

  17. "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Jeg fik nogle hvide stofreflekser i en uniforms-/arbejdstøjsbutik. Bagpå købte jeg et par billige
    > katteøjer til skærme og pelsede reflekserne
    derfra.
    > Boremaskine plus lidt syning burde klare den sag.

    Hvad vejer så'n en trailer?

    > Og tillykke med det kommende/overståede (?) bryllup. :)

    Tak :) - kommende - 12 juli i - gys - frederiksborg slotskirke. Reception bagefter hos os, hvis du
    skulle have lyst til lidt motion kombineret med øl og pindemadder. Absolut ikke fancy, men vi tager
    det bedste på vi har ;-)

    Torben

  18. "Torben Scheel" skrev

    > Hvad vejer så'n en trailer?

    5500 gram ifølge deres website. 5508 g med reflekser afhængig af sytråden.

    > Tak :) - kommende - 12 juli i - gys - frederiksborg slotskirke. Reception bagefter hos os, hvis
    > du skulle have lyst til lidt motion kombineret med øl og pindemadder. Absolut ikke fancy, men vi
    > tager det bedste på vi har ;-)

    Tak. Jeg har dog været lidt grådig med arbejde, så jeg har en hel flok deadlines både før og efter.

    Mikael

  19. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:

    > Also sprach Mikael Seierup:
    >
    > > However pinch flats is probably not an issue on a recumbent anyway.
    >
    > I don't know what gives you this idea, but it's completely contrary to the reality.
    >
    > Recumbents are _more_ prone to pinch flats than uprights, all other things being equal, because it
    > is not possible to "unweight" the rear wheel on a 'bent as one can on an upright.

    It is however, certainly possible to un-weight the rear wheel on a tadpole trike. However, since my
    Dragonflyer has 53-406 tires and rear suspension, I just straddle everything with the front wheels
    and let the amazingly effective (considering its simplicity) rear suspension handle the bumps.

    Riding a trike is amazingly relaxing, since one can pretty much ignore the road hazards that one
    needs to see and avoid on a single-track HPV.

  20. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    Mikael Seierup wrote:
    > A bit late to ask this since I already ordered, but will a 28-559 Stelvio be happy on my
    > 21-559 rim?

    To answer the original question, I ride Stelvios on Airline rims. They work fine.

    --

    John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)