Stem Length Measurement

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by David Patnaude, Mar 9, 2003.

  1. I am looking to purchase a new 1 1/8" threadless stem for my road bike due to wanting to try a
    different length.

    When they state the length of the stem, is that measured center to center? Also, is the clamp height
    the same for all of the road stems so that the new stem clamp height won't be an issue with my
    current steerer tube length and spacers?

    Thanks, Dave P.

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    Yes the length is always measured centre to centre. I'm not too sure about the clamp height though.
    My first guess is that it would be close enough to re-use your spacers etc. but I'm really not sure.

    Cheers,

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson

    "David Patnaude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am looking to purchase a new 1 1/8" threadless stem for my road bike due to wanting to try a
    > different length.
    >
    > When they state the length of the stem, is that measured center to center? Also, is the clamp
    > height the same for all of the road stems so that the new stem clamp height won't be an issue with
    > my current steerer tube
    length
    > and spacers?
    >
    > Thanks, Dave P.

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    David Patnaude wrote:

    > When they state the length of the stem, is that measured center to center?

    Yes.

    > Also, is the clamp height the same for all of the road stems

    No. eg. Look ErgoStem: 40mm, Deda Zero: approx 37mm.

    ~PB

  4. Jay Hill

    Jay Hill Guest

    David Patnaude wrote:

    > When they state the length of the stem, is that measured center to center?

    usually

    > Also, is the clamp height the same for all of the road stems so that the new stem clamp height
    > won't be an issue with my current steerer tube length and spacers?

    no

  5. Jay Hill <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    >> Also, is the clamp height the same for all of the road stems so that the new stem clamp height
    >> won't be an issue with my current steerer tube length and spacers?
    >
    > no

    Are the clamp heights for the various stems available? This number never seems to be mentioned in
    any of the bike catalogs. Even some of the manufacturer sights I liked at like Ritchey do not list
    this number.

    When the stems are initially installed, a few mm of clearance is left between the top of the stem
    and the end of the steerer tube to allow proper adjustment of the headset. Is this an exact amount,
    or can you have a little more or less space, within reason?

    Dave

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    David Patnaude wrote: /snip
    > When the stems are initially installed, a few mm of clearance is left between the top of the stem
    > and the end of the steerer tube to allow proper adjustment of the headset. Is this an exact
    > amount, or can you have a little more or less space, within reason?

    Doesn't have to be exact. Park recommend a "gap of about 3mm". There needs to be sufficient
    clearance to ensure the top cap doesn't touch the top of steerer, but not so much that the steerer
    isn't clamped well.

    Using a combination of 5mm and/or 2mm spacers will enable you to get within a millimeter or two of
    optimum spacing.

    ~PB