Stem length?

Tony R

Guest
Hi all, I'm contemplating fitting a shorter stem on my tourer. The positives obviously relate to the
shorter reach. Are there any negatives I should consider? I only ask because the 3ttt website
recommends certain lengths for certain frame sizes, which suggests to me there may be some reason
for not just fitting any old size I want. thanks, Tony R.

tony R <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all, I'm contemplating fitting a shorter stem on my tourer. The positives obviously relate to
> the shorter reach. Are there any negatives I should consider? I only ask because the 3ttt website
> recommends certain lengths for certain frame sizes, which suggests to me there may be some reason
> for not just fitting any old size I want. thanks, Tony R.

Shorter stem = quicker steering i.e. only put a short stem on if you don't mind the steering being
more sensitive to steering input.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
their job."

Samuel Goldwyn

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> tony R <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi all, I'm contemplating fitting a shorter stem on my tourer. The positives obviously relate to
> > the shorter reach. Are there any negatives I should consider? I only ask because the 3ttt
> > website recommends certain lengths for certain frame sizes, which suggests to me there may be
> > some reason for not just fitting any old size I want. thanks, Tony R.
>
> Shorter stem = quicker steering i.e. only put a short stem on if you don't mind the steering being
> more sensitive to steering input.
>
> Tony
>
> --
> http://www.raven-family.com
>
> "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
> their job."
>
> Samuel Goldwyn

This is true but not as noticeable as you may think. I came down from a 130mm to a 100mm and the
difference although noticeable, was negligible. Go for it.

--
Mark
______________________________________

"Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

It would also protect your back more if it bothers you. The shorter reach lessens the strain on the
lower back.

tony R wrote:
> Hi all, I'm contemplating fitting a shorter stem on my tourer. The positives obviously relate to
> the shorter reach. Are there any negatives I should consider?

The steering will be quicker, but this will only be a potential problem if the extension is
/very/ short, say under 80 or 90mm - and you may like the effect anyway (some people manage fine
with extremely stumpy stems) or you may not even notice it (or at least will very quickly get
used to it).

Also, there's a chance you may feel too cramped up if you go too far (particularly in the drops), or
may have a problem getting the bars up high enough (will need to be higher than exsiting bars to
suit the reduced reach) because many stems are rather short vertically. 10mm reach can make a
noticeable difference. I suggest changing by no more than 20mm at a time unless certain.

> I only ask because the 3ttt website recommends certain lengths for certain frame sizes

That should only be taken as a rough guide for middling stems for the certain sizes......

> which suggests to me there may be some reason for not just fitting any old size I want.

The main point of having a choice of stem sizes is to fine tune the bike's reach for you, so don't
worry about that point unless going well outside the "normal" range.

Also consider different bars like the 3T Morphe (if not using them already) with slightly swept back
tops and shorter reach to hoods and drops. Note. I will have 44cm Morphe bars for sale soon-ish if I
will be happy with replacement. I've decided on wider bars - which, incidentally, should also help
with a slightly more comfortable position, I think and hope (think about drops vs typical straights
and further outstretched arms coming towards body, etc).

--
~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt

Don't listen to Tony... He eats people's eyes...

"Stephen Soper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It would also protect your back more if it bothers you. The shorter reach lessens the strain on
> the lower back.
>

> "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> should
> lengths
> > >
> > > Shorter stem = quicker steering i.e. only put a short stem on if you
> don't
> > > mind the steering being more sensitive to steering input.
> > >
> > > Tony
> > >
> > > --
> > > http://www.raven-family.com
> > >
> > > "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the
> truth
> > > even if it costs them their job."
> > >
> > > Samuel Goldwyn
> > >

> > This is true but not as noticeable as you may think. I came down from a 130mm to a 100mm and the
> > difference although noticeable, was negligible.
> Go
> > for it.
> >

> > --
> > Mark
> > ______________________________________
> >
> > "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

Before considering stem length, crank length and saddle position (front/rear as well as height)
should be assessed and corrected. Ride for a bit, adjust bar height(if poss) and if it's still no
good, try that shorter stem. Steering geometry and tyre selection along with frame geometry and
sizing affect stem length along with rider. This all goes into the selection of the frameset. Bike
control and your back comfort will be much improved when overall position including bar reach is
correct. Ignore advice on matching stem length to frame size, it's too general an idea, besides you
already have the frameset. TJ

...who cares <[email protected]> wrote:
> Don't listen to Tony... He eats people's eyes...

Listening to me is all you'd be able to do, looking won't be an option ;-)

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
their job."

Samuel Goldwyn

"tony R" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi all, I'm contemplating fitting a shorter stem on my tourer. The positives obviously relate to
> the shorter reach. Are there any negatives I should consider? I only ask because the 3ttt website
> recommends certain lengths for certain frame sizes, which suggests to me there may be some reason
> for not just fitting any old size I want.

It's just that most frame builders hardly vary the top tube length between sizes, so larger riders
generally have to use a longer stem (and vice versa) to get a sensible position. The effect on
steering is small (IME), the only difference I have noticed is in the ease of riding no hands and
pushing the bike by the saddle.

James

"tony R" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi all, I'm contemplating fitting a shorter stem on my tourer. The positives obviously relate to
> the shorter reach. Are there any negatives I should consider? I only ask because the 3ttt website
> recommends certain lengths
for
> certain frame sizes, which suggests to me there may be some reason for not just fitting any old
> size I want.

As others have said, within reason it won't affect steering.

I fitted the then shortest standard 3TTT Record stem to my tourer (24in Nigel Dean). Its around 80mm
compared to the ~110mm I had previously. Made a huge difference to comfort.

There was a change in the steering, but after a couple of rides I'd adapted to the new and
wouldn't go back.

I found that my bars were a fraction under-size compared to the stem diameter. This isn't a problem:
cut a strip of aluminium from a drinks can of choice (beer cans worked for me) and insert a shim
band before tightening the clamp screw. With care, you can cut drinks cans with strong scissors -
watch your fingers on the sharp edges !

Other thing to consider is bar width. I noticed after many years of riding my old hack bike (not the
Dean) no more than 2 miles at a time, that its narrower bars were very uncomfortable if I went
further. Wider bars fixed that problem.

NC

> Also consider different bars like the 3T Morphe (if not using them already) with slightly swept
> back tops and shorter reach to hoods and drops. Note. I will have 44cm Morphe bars for sale
> soon-ish if I will be happy with replacement.
>
> --
> ~PB

Ooh, ooh. I've ben thinking of these bars for a while ( they're the ones sold by some as "morphe
randonneur" are they?). My old bars are 3ttt Forma 42 cm. Yours might be just the ticket - let me
know if you decide to sell. Tony R.

"NC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "tony R" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> As others have said, within reason it won't affect steering.
>
> I fitted the then shortest standard 3TTT Record stem to my tourer (24in Nigel Dean). Its around
> 80mm compared to the ~110mm I had previously.
Made
> a huge difference to comfort.
>
> There was a change in the steering, but after a couple of rides I'd
adapted
> to the new and wouldn't go back.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think I'll go on and give it a try. I'll be replacing a
100mm. with an 80mm. on a 22.5in.(I think) frame which I hope isn't pushing it too far. The problem
started with my knees a couple of years back. By the end of last summer I finally got the saddle
height/fore/aft about right for my knees but then the reach was too far to be ideal for my back.
I've probably been riding too large a frame for 12 yrs. - I'll know for next time. Thanks again for
the help. Tony R.

tony R wrote:

>> Also consider different bars like the 3T Morphe (if not using them already) with slightly swept
>> back tops and shorter reach to hoods and drops. Note. I will have 44cm Morphe bars for sale
>> soon-ish if I will be happy with replacement.

> Ooh, ooh. I've ben thinking of these bars for a while ( they're the ones sold by some as "morphe
> randonneur" are they?).

Yes, that's the full name.

> My old bars are 3ttt Forma 42 cm. Yours might be just the ticket

I suspect they might indeed.

> - let me know if you decide to sell.

Will do. Someone else is interested too, though - so perhaps I'll put them on eBay (if I do find I
prefer wider bars* - 80% confident that I will), or perhaps a fight could be arranged :)

* I'm thinking getting Morph's again (in 46cm). Quite a lot of trouble to go for 2cm but I think
that just might ease my shoulders and back a touch.

--
~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt

> Will do. Someone else is interested too, though - so perhaps I'll put them on eBay (if I do find I
> prefer wider bars* - 80% confident that I will), or perhaps a fight could be arranged :)

Suits me. I'm extraordinarily ugly which I usually find gives me the edge. Tony R.

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 16:13:11 -0500, Tony Raven wrote:

> tony R <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi all, I'm contemplating fitting a shorter stem on my tourer. The positives obviously relate to
>> the shorter reach. Are there any negatives I should consider? I only ask because the 3ttt website
>> recommends certain lengths for certain frame sizes, which suggests to me there may be some reason
>> for not just fitting any old size I want. thanks, Tony R.
>
> Shorter stem = quicker steering i.e. only put a short stem on if you don't mind the steering being
> more sensitive to steering input.

Consider the effect on steering if one is unable to reach the handlebars...

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 15:21:13 -0000, "tony R" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>

>> Will do. Someone else is interested too, though - so perhaps I'll put them on eBay (if I do find
>> I prefer wider bars* - 80% confident that I will), or perhaps a fight could be arranged :)
>
>Suits me. I'm extraordinarily ugly which I usually find gives me the edge. Tony R.

If you do buy the Morphes, I can propbably take the Formas of your hands.

John T. Remove the singers of Spam before replying

"John Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 15:21:13 -0000, "tony R" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >

> >> Will do. Someone else is interested too, though - so perhaps I'll put them on eBay (if I do
> >> find I prefer wider bars* - 80% confident that I will), or perhaps a fight could be
> >> arranged :)
> >
> >Suits me. I'm extraordinarily ugly which I usually find gives me the
edge.
> >Tony R.
> >

> If you do buy the Morphes, I can propbably take the Formas of your hands.

I'd probably be thinking of holding on to them for another project I'm planning - sorry. Tony R.

I wrote:
> I will have 44cm Morphe bars for sale soon-ish if I will be happy with replacement.

Sorry Tony and Howard et al, I think I am indeed better off with my new wider bars on my road bike
but I've decided to keep the 44's to use on my other bike.

Best place to buy new ones is probably: www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop - TTT Mophe road bars @ £24.99
post free.

~PB