Stem safety

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Robert Strickla, Feb 10, 2003.

  1. I decided to cut a quill stem that was too tall down by about half and am now wondering if I should
    be worried about the safety of using it. Is there a rule of thumb concerning the minimum amount of
    quill that should be below the head set?

    thanks in advance, Rob Strickland

    Tags:

  2. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    The clamp should be below the threaded portion of the steerer tube. If the clamp is on the threaded
    portion, particularly if the stem uses a conical expander, this can cause the steerer tube to fail.

    Nick

    news:[email protected]...