Stem safety

Status

Robert Strickla

Guest
I decided to cut a quill stem that was too tall down by about half and am now wondering if I should
be worried about the safety of using it. Is there a rule of thumb concerning the minimum amount of
quill that should be below the head set?

thanks in advance, Rob Strickland

Nick Payne

Guest
The clamp should be below the threaded portion of the steerer tube. If the clamp is on the threaded
portion, particularly if the stem uses a conical expander, this can cause the steerer tube to fail.

Nick

"Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I decided to cut a quill stem that was too tall down by about half and am now wondering if I
> should be worried about the safety of using it. Is
there
> a rule of thumb concerning the minimum amount of quill that should be
below
> the head set?

Status
Not open for further replies.