Stem & seatpost question

Ken M

Guest
Today while cleaning and checking my bike for things that may become
problems I noticed that the top part of the suspension seatpost seems to
have some rotational play on the post itself. It seems that it may need to
be replaced. Is this a common problem? The bike only has about 2000 miles on
it. Should I put a rigid post in place of the suspension one that is there
now? How about a carbon fiber deal?

And my stem question: Does anyone know how to adjust the angle on these type
of adjustable stems that come on a Raleigh hybrid? I have tried and the only
adjustment I can seem to make is the overall height.

Here is a page with pictures of the stem and seatpost.
http://kcm-home.tripod.com/stem_seatpost.html

Ken

> Today while cleaning and checking my bike for things that may become
> problems I noticed that the top part of the suspension seatpost seems
> to have some rotational play on the post itself. It seems that it may
> need to be replaced. Is this a common problem? The bike only has
> about 2000 miles on it. Should I put a rigid post in place of the
> suspension one that is there now? How about a carbon fiber deal?
>
> And my stem question: Does anyone know how to adjust the angle on
> these type of adjustable stems that come on a Raleigh hybrid? I have
> tried and the only adjustment I can seem to make is the overall
> height.
> Here is a page with pictures of the stem and seatpost.
> http://kcm-home.tripod.com/stem_seatpost.html
>
> Ken

Those seatposts have quite a bit of play when new. The play won't affect
your ride too much unless it's causing control issues. At that point, if
you can replace it with a rigid seatpost, that would definitely solve the
play problem.

If you like the suspension action, spring for a Thudbuster seatpost at
http://www.thudbuster.com/products.html or order from your LBS. These don't
develop play like the one on your current bike, and since you're doing lots
of miles, an investment in a Thudbuster will be a fraction of a penny per
mile.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Ken M <kencmjr wrote:
> Today while cleaning and checking my bike for things that may become
> problems I noticed that the top part of the suspension seatpost seems to
> have some rotational play on the post itself. It seems that it may need to
> be replaced. Is this a common problem? The bike only has about 2000 miles on
> it. Should I put a rigid post in place of the suspension one that is there
> now? How about a carbon fiber deal?
>
> And my stem question: Does anyone know how to adjust the angle on these type
> of adjustable stems that come on a Raleigh hybrid? I have tried and the only
> adjustment I can seem to make is the overall height.
>
> Here is a page with pictures of the stem and seatpost.
> http://kcm-home.tripod.com/stem_seatpost.html
>
> Ken

Sometimes the knurled part of the post just below the rubber bellows can
be turned to take out play.

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:42:51 -0500, "Ken M"
<kencmjr<(nospam)>@netzero.net> wrote:

>Today while cleaning and checking my bike for things that may become
>problems I noticed that the top part of the suspension seatpost seems to
>have some rotational play on the post itself. It seems that it may need to
>be replaced. Is this a common problem? The bike only has about 2000 miles on
>it. Should I put a rigid post in place of the suspension one that is there
>now? How about a carbon fiber deal?
>
>And my stem question: Does anyone know how to adjust the angle on these type
>of adjustable stems that come on a Raleigh hybrid? I have tried and the only
>adjustment I can seem to make is the overall height.
>
>Here is a page with pictures of the stem and seatpost.
>http://kcm-home.tripod.com/stem_seatpost.html
>
>Ken

Hi, on the stem, I assume that the height adjustment that you speak
of, comes from loosening the top bolt. Have you tried loosening the
bolt from the side?

It may just involve loosening the side bolts, or you may have to
remove them. Remove, reposition, and then re-insert.

Life is Good!
Jeff

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ken M <kencmjr wrote:
>> Today while cleaning and checking my bike for things that may become
>> problems I noticed that the top part of the suspension seatpost seems to
>> have some rotational play on the post itself. It seems that it may need
>> to be replaced. Is this a common problem? The bike only has about 2000
>> miles on it. Should I put a rigid post in place of the suspension one
>> that is there now? How about a carbon fiber deal?
>>
>> And my stem question: Does anyone know how to adjust the angle on these
>> type of adjustable stems that come on a Raleigh hybrid? I have tried and
>> the only adjustment I can seem to make is the overall height.
>>
>> Here is a page with pictures of the stem and seatpost.
>> http://kcm-home.tripod.com/stem_seatpost.html
>>
>> Ken
>>

> Sometimes the knurled part of the post just below the rubber bellows can
> be turned to take out play.

Thanks for that tip. I had never even noticed that part "turned". Somehow it
had loosened up about 1 revolution or so. I tightened it up and all the play
seems to have disappeared.

Ken

"Jeff Starr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:42:51 -0500, "Ken M"
> <kencmjr<(nospam)>@netzero.net> wrote:
>
>>Today while cleaning and checking my bike for things that may become
>>problems I noticed that the top part of the suspension seatpost seems to
>>have some rotational play on the post itself. It seems that it may need to
>>be replaced. Is this a common problem? The bike only has about 2000 miles
>>on
>>it. Should I put a rigid post in place of the suspension one that is there
>>now? How about a carbon fiber deal?
>>
>>And my stem question: Does anyone know how to adjust the angle on these
>>type
>>of adjustable stems that come on a Raleigh hybrid? I have tried and the
>>only
>>adjustment I can seem to make is the overall height.
>>
>>Here is a page with pictures of the stem and seatpost.
>>http://kcm-home.tripod.com/stem_seatpost.html
>>
>>Ken
>>

> Hi, on the stem, I assume that the height adjustment that you speak
> of, comes from loosening the top bolt. Have you tried loosening the
> bolt from the side?

Yeah by height I meant the adjustment made by loosening the center bolt.

> It may just involve loosening the side bolts, or you may have to
> remove them. Remove, reposition, and then re-insert.

I have tried loosening and removing the bolt from the right side of the
stem, and that does nothing. The funny looking nut that is recessed in the
left side does not seem to be removed easily. I have tried using the bolt
threaded into the nut from the left side and that does nothing. I don't want
to damage it.