Stem spacer

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andrew

I want to raise my stem slightly. I have a 5mm spacer in & would like to swap it for a 10mm.

The guy in my LBS advised that there should be no more than 5mm gap between the top of the fork and
the top of the stem. He suggested there was a risk of crushing the top of the stem.

Does this seem like common sense?

It seems very cautious to me & there would be little chance of the fork being crushed as the load is
largely downward on the fork.

I can see no reason why he should lie to me & he didn't try and sell me a new stem or forks.

--
Andrew

"Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

> I want to raise my stem slightly. I have a 5mm spacer in & would like to swap it for a 10mm.
>
> The guy in my LBS advised that there should be no more than 5mm gap
between
> the top of the fork and the top of the stem. He suggested there was a risk of crushing the top of
> the FORK.

(There isn't quite this much space)
>
> Does this seem like common sense?
>
> It seems very cautious to me & there would be little chance of the fork being crushed as the load
> is largely downward on the fork.
>
> I can see no reason why he should lie to me & he didn't try and sell me a new stem or forks.
>
>
> --
> Andrew
>
>
> "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to
do
> with the ball, just stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

andrew wrote:
> I want to raise my stem slightly. I have a 5mm spacer in & would like to swap it for a 10mm.
>
> The guy in my LBS advised that there should be no more than 5mm gap between the top of the fork
> and the top of the stem. He suggested there was a risk of crushing the top of the stem.

Is this with a carbon threadless fork steerer?

~PB

Pete Biggs <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> andrew wrote:
> > I want to raise my stem slightly. I have a 5mm spacer in & would like to swap it for a 10mm.
> >
> > The guy in my LBS advised that there should be no more than 5mm gap between the top of the fork
> > and the top of the stem. He suggested there was a risk of crushing the top of the stem.
>
> Is this with a carbon threadless fork steerer?

Correct.

--
Andrew

"Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

andrew-<< I want to raise my stem slightly. I have a 5mm spacer in & would like to swap it
for a 10mm.

The guy in my LBS advised that there should be no more than 5mm gap between the top of the fork and
the top of the stem. He suggested there was a risk of crushing the top of the stem.

Does this seem like common sense?

It seems very cautious to me & there would be little chance of the fork being crushed as the load is
largely downward on the fork.

I would not do this, swap the spacer for a 1cm one. The bike shop is correct, breaking a stem or
steerer really hurts. Look for a stem that raises you to the place you want to be.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Status
Not open for further replies.