stem too long

bikerboy59

Nov 19, 2005
i have a problem of being too strecthed out on my roadbike and it makes both hands go numb evn when i have my hands on top of the bars. when i am in the drops and look down i can see the skewer plus at least another inch from that to the handle bars. i had heard once that when in the drops you should not be able to see the skewer. if that is the case how do you know without purchasing a bunch of stems how much to shorten it ??/ the other option i have it to be proffessionaly fit.
Thank you for any help:confused:

bikerboy59 said:
i have a problem of being too strecthed out on my roadbike and it makes both hands go numb evn when i have my hands on top of the bars. when i am in the drops and look down i can see the skewer plus at least another inch from that to the handle bars. i had heard once that when in the drops you should not be able to see the skewer. if that is the case how do you know without purchasing a bunch of stems how much to shorten it ??/ the other option i have it to be proffessionaly fit.
This is a really good example of when to take advantage of the services of your LBS. Whatever you pay for the service and advice for getting the right stem - both in length and rise - will be less than your time and expense of your own trial and error approach.

bikerboy59 said:
. if that is the case how do you know without purchasing a bunch of stems how much to shorten it ??/ the other option i have it to be proffessionaly fit. Thank you for any help:confused:
good question -- there's no doubt that 10mm makes a big difference on a stem. I did a similar thing recently and ended up with 3 stems!! :( I started with a 120, then a 130, and ended up with a 140!! I guess the bike's too small for me :)

This might sound a bit too simple, but is your seat too far back?
if not, and/or you like to be set back, then perhaps leave it.

I guess your best option is to ask your local shop if you can test ride some bikes with different cockpit lengths, but make sure the saddle position over the bottom bracket is similar to your bike.

when it comes down to it, some stems are relatively cheap, such as some of the Specialized, Ritchey and Bontragers, and stuff like BBB is dirt cheap.

try trying and buying different crank lengths; now THAT is expensive! :)

i have an appointment with cronometer which is a company in madison that fits using biometrics and stuff like that...it is rather costly but compared to my bikes price it is really nothing. just like the old saying goes " you get what you pay for"

bikerboy59 said:

The traditional measurement was to put your elbow against your seat front -- your fingertips should just touch your handlebar. I have long legs and a short trunk on an off-the-rack bike and I use 50-60mm stems.

Peter Hummers said:
The traditional measurement was to put your elbow against your seat front -- your fingertips should just touch your handlebar. I have long legs and a short trunk on an off-the-rack bike and I use 50-60mm stems.
Eh? Don't you mean fingertips should just touch the stem?

bikerboy59 said:
Get an expert bike fitting and then then go home and record the critical measurements so you can do your own setups in the future. Measure where you sit on the seat and where your hands rest on the hoods, in relation to the center of the bottom bracket, measured only in verticle and horizontal planes. Don't measure to the floor, because bikes have different bottom bracket heights. Don't measure to the nose of the seat because seats vary in length and you don't seat on the tip of the nose anyway.

lks said:
Get an expert bike fitting and then then go home and record the critical measurements so you can do your own setups in the future. Measure where you sit on the seat and where your hands rest on the hoods, in relation to the center of the bottom bracket, measured only in verticle and horizontal planes. Don't measure to the floor, because bikes have different bottom bracket heights. Don't measure to the nose of the seat because seats vary in length and you don't seat on the tip of the nose anyway.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Peter Hummers said:
No; I mean the back of the handlebar, right next to where it is held by the stem.
I read that back in the late 80's, and I still don't understand it! Seems way too short (like 10 cm too short). Anyone agree / disagree??

Peter Hummers said:
No; I mean the back of the handlebar, right next to where it is held by the stem.

When i do that rule of thumb on my current road bike setup, my fingertips are 2" - 3" away from the edge of the bar. Get a professional fit, it makes a difference because everyone is different - long arms, short torso, long legs, etc.....