Stents

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Allen Herzfeld, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. Last September (2002) I had two stents put in my coronary arteries. They were not the new medicated
    stents. In February I had to have one of the stents radiated. The other stent was fine. Does anyone
    have any idea how long the stents last? I just never asked my doctor.

    Tags:

  2. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Allen Herzfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Last September (2002) I had two stents put in my coronary arteries. They were not the new
    > medicated stents. In February I had to have one of the stents radiated. The other stent was fine.
    > Does anyone have any idea how long the stents last? I just never asked my doctor.

    I think theoretically they last forever - or close enough - i.e. they do not wear out like
    artificial joints might. However, it is possible to have blockage reoccur in the artery - but not
    from the stent failing, just from stuff growing around (or through) it.

    Bill

  3. Allen Herzfeld wrote:

    > Last September (2002) I had two stents put in my coronary arteries. They were not the new
    > medicated stents. In February I had to have one of the stents radiated. The other stent was fine.
    > Does anyone have any idea how long the stents last? I just never asked my doctor.

    Stents can last forever past the period of restenosis (3-6 months) provided atherosclerosis is
    stopped/reversed.

    Humbly,

    Andrew

    --