Step Through Or Triagular Frame?

PennyS

Jun 23, 2015
I picked up my bike second-hand and it happens to be the type with a step through frame of the type conventionally meant for women. This is the first time I did not have the conventional triangular-framed bike and I have to admit, I do like it better.

It is not that I wear voluminous skirts of anything like that, but the bile is easier to mount. The only thing that is a little harder is carrying it like when I take it up or down starirs. I used to rest the top bar over my shoulder and when that is not there all the weight is ony my hand as I grip it which can get uncomfortable.

Out of curiousity my question above is for the female riders: how many have a step through versus conventional framed bike frame, and which do you prefer?

PennyS said:
I picked up my bike second-hand and it happens to be the type with a step through frame of the type conventionally meant for women. This is the first time I did not have the conventional triangular-framed bike and I have to admit, I do like it better.

It is not that I wear voluminous skirts of anything like that, but the bile is easier to mount. The only thing that is a little harder is carrying it like when I take it up or down starirs. I used to rest the top bar over my shoulder and when that is not there all the weight is ony my hand as I grip it which can get uncomfortable.

Out of curiousity my question above is for the female riders: how many have a step through versus conventional framed bike frame, and which do you prefer?
Without the intrusion of the top bar AND depending on how your saddle is mounted on the seatpost, you may be able to hoist the saddle's nose onto your shoulder.

I have a step through ladies bike and I love the design. So much easier to get on and off. Women tend to move differently than men regardless of what they happen to be wearing at the moment. Fortunately I don't have to carry my bike, I don't think it would be safe for me to carry that much weight anyway.

I have a conventional triangular-framed bike. I didn't like any of the women's designs when I was choosing my last bike, and went with a red-and-black unisex design, which only came in this frame. I'm very short and admittedly do find it a bit harder to mount than step-through bikes, though. I have to sort of throw my leg over it, which is hard for me because I have bad balance and short legs. If I were to get a new bike, if I could find a design that I like with a step-through frame I would probably go with that one instead of getting another conventional framed bike.

I don't hate the conventional frame though, and I think ladies in a lot of cases can use one just as well as a step-through frame. It is all up to the matter of preference in the end.

This does sound like a great bike. I am sure you like it very much. I do not like the traditional women's bike. I have never been a big fan of these bikes, because I like the way the bikes made for men ride. I never wear skirts especially when riding so it does not matter too much.

I started biking again a few years back (after quitting for 10+ years), and at the time I got a step through (why? it beats me, it looked cute and at the time I had no idea of the differences in bikes and what my needs would be). I loved riding that bike throughcollege, even though I didn't wear skirts, it was easy to get off and on the bike and the upright position felt very comfortable. Then I got a MTB because I started working at an office that is considerably far from where I live and my trusty step through was not cutting it anymore. While it took me a while to get used to the new frame and riding position I wouldn't go back. The step through is cute and all, but it's rather heavy and it made my 10mile commute a lot harder than my current bike.

In an ideal world I'd have two bikes, my commuter and another for leisure rides, maybe a fixie or, who knows, a step-through again. I just loved riding in everyday clothes lol. So, both? :D

It didn't occur to me that the olden bikes for female will be a matter of concern. I am oblivious to that ever since I took cycling a bit seriously. But I remember my younger days when girls would ride only that so called female bike because we usually wear skirt. That time was the era that shorts is only for the movies and pants are only for the boys. Anyway, when I bought my own bike, it was the mountain bike type that is for male. And it's not a problem anymore because the cycling shorts has been around.

I have a conventional men's bike, which I got second hand from a male friend.
I actually really like it, we do a lot of mountain biking and sometimes there's hiking involved so it's convenient to have the top bar, I find it's more comfortable to carry.
The seat however I replaced with a women's seat which I think makes a difference especially on long rides.

After recovering from a serious injury, I actually was a little afraid of riding my mountain bike, so into storage it went. I shopped for a step through comfort bike and I knew from the first test drive that this type of bike would help me regain my confidence. After months of being in bed, with a cast and then a boot, using a walker, crutches, and then finally a cane I not only needed my strength back, but I needed my balance back. Getting those bearings back took awhile, and riding a step through helped me feel safer.

I reccommend the step through style for anyone that has experienced an injury, and is getting back into physical activity outside again. You'll be comfortable mounting and discounting, all while boosting your confidence as you get back into the saddle again.

Since the introduction of the sloping top tub eon most bikes nowadays, I bet there is not much of a need for the step through anymore. When the traditional bike had a level straight top tube yes, not anymore. Heck, even men have sloping top tubes which makes mounting easier.

Plus the step through eliminates the use of one water bottle, I believe. That would suck! :lol:

My wife's bikes. Can you guess which is easier to mount?

Bianchi-1.jpg

Trek.jpg

As a woman biker I prefer riding the kind of bicycle that most of time meant for woman. The getting on and off sometime can get a little bit unconventional, but frame gives me more ways to carry it up and down to my apartment.

I've always had the step-through type, though not necessarily because I'm so 'girlie'. This selection is due to the fact that I'm very short, and it helps to have a bike with the lowered top that I can easily swing a leg over. I wasn't aware that there were so many women out there riding 'men's' bikes because they actually prefer the higher top tube.

I definitely like the lower top due to the fact that it's easier to lift my legs over, as I have hip injuries. I also have fallen down on that top bar when it was my male cousins and let me tell you something: I understand the pain men get when they get hit in the jewels. I think since I'm just traumatized from my incident as a kid, I prefer the lower. I don't really see why there's a difference; I don't believe it makes a bit of difference in riding at least.