Stepping out of SUMMUMBONUMBOOJUM, by Joe Starck

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jos[email protected], Feb 27, 2005.

  1. Last summer I created a word collage and posted it to this list as
    "Buzzy Crumhunger's 'Tales with the UNKNOWABLE/JS,' Episode One."

    There are any number of ways to make collages, with any number of
    materials, like, with pictures, or with any item that, in and of
    itself, and with, and in contrast with other things, create myriad
    meanings.

    I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I think mostly in
    pictures, predominately visual, with thought pictorials and thought
    film ever on. Why that is, I don't know for sure: nature/nurture. I
    didn't speak much as a child, but certainly thought lots, and it wasn't
    until my twenties that I began to add verbal thought to deep, methodic
    -- actual and representative -- running visuals. Lately, I've been
    asking people how they think, and it's interesting to find differences
    and similarities on the range of thought styles, adding more to the
    verbal/visual spectrum, kinetic, for example.

    My "Tales" word collage morphed into "Two Bicycles," Five Bicycles,"
    "No Bicycles," and finally to a number of SUMMUMBONUMBOOJUMs, with a
    cast of characrters in the form of pronouns, common nouns, proper
    nouns, concrete nouns, and abstract nouns.

    There is probably no better source of definitions and understanding of
    all the abstract nouns that lead to and make up one big, bad abstract
    noun, "hatred," than Willard Gaylin's "Hatred: The Psychological
    Descent Into Violence."

    When I was just a kid, I do know that other kids, and probably myself,
    commonly used "jewed" and "gyped" for the notion of having been
    "cheated." I don't know about the other kids, and I'll give them the
    benefit of the doubt, but I was unaware that I was using terms with
    origins derisive of religion/culture until about Junior High
    School('72-'73), when we began to see graphic footage of the atrocities
    of Nazi Germany. And in elementary school, when another kid showed me
    how to draw swastikas, I drew them all over my notebook because I
    thought they were just some cool symbol, oblivious to there symbol of,
    among other things, anti-semitism.

    We played King of the Hill in the winter: who could stay on the top of
    the snow pile longest, and in the summer, we played Smear the Queer:
    who could outrun all the longest with the football. Grade School, 1966
    to 1971.

    Some years ago, Michael Jackson used the vulgarity, "kike" in one of
    his songs. I think he said "...kike me..." or "...don't kike me..." or
    something like that in one of his songs. There was a strong reaction
    from Jewish leaders, and rightly so. As I recall, one leader protested
    that the term had been dead and buried for so long and that it was
    unconscionable to revive it into the public conscious. I had to look it
    up in the dictionary back then, having never before heard it.

    I suppose a year doesn't go by that the horrors of the Holocaust
    aren't aired on television. For me, beginning in earnest in my
    mid-thirties, and as my years pass, a day doesn't go by that the
    horrors of the Holocaust aren't played in my mind, and epecially now,
    post 9/11, post murder of the several thousand innocents on that day,
    and present killing/murder in Iraq/The Mideast/and around the World
    every day.

    Soldiers are trained to kill. And it is my understanding that they, by
    necessity, are trained to hate the enemy to expedite the killing of the
    enemy.

    In Vietnam our enemy was the "gooks."

    In World War 2 our enemy was the "japs" and the "krauts."

    Now our enemies that are said to make up "Al Qaida," are mostly Arabs,
    Muslims for sure, and defined by a number of cultural and racial,
    derogatory vulgarities. I'll leave it at that.

    We Americans in the U.S. are defined by our present "Al Qaeda" enemies
    as the devil, mostly white devils. That's a long way from "cracker;"
    we're not just someone to put down, but someone to kill, now.

    Contrast "white devil" with "heeb" or "bitch." I haven't seen a "white
    devil" magazine, but I do read "Heeb" magazine, and I've seen "Bitch"
    magazine, and have probably perused it. Where "bitch" has been turned
    around from a woman who would be characterized as lewd and malicious,
    to a feminist taking on what ails them, "Heeb" is, a new generation of
    Jews taking on themselves. I'm not even sure how derogatory "heeb" ever
    was for a Jew, shortened from Hebrew. What say you?

    Now, while I had to look up "kike" in the dictionary when I first heard
    it, and while there are plenty of racial and ethnic slurs for all the
    kinds of people in the United States of America, no term is as commonly
    used, historically and presently, as "nigger," for African-Americans.

    In literature, in films, in music, it's quite commonly used in a number
    of ways, for example, as was originally intended, a racial slur aimed
    at the most historically villified people in America, or, as inward
    examination from African-American comedians, or, as turned around by
    rappers in the originally intended's face.

    In 2001, the Philadelphia Theatre Company produced a play set in 1949,
    titled "No Niggers, No Jews, No Dogs."

    In 2003 came Randall Kennedy's book, "Nigger: The Strange Career of a
    Troublesome Word."

    In my "SUMMUMBONUMBOOJUM" that I posted to this list on Labor Day of
    2004, I wrote "nigger" 135 times.

    And I wonder, would 135 be an average week outta the mouths of those
    who hate African-Americans? Would 135 be an average outta the mouths of
    characters outta a season of films outta Hollywood? Would 135 be an
    average day outta the mouths of African-American rappers? Or even,
    would 135 be the average, of whatever duration, in the minds of
    whoever, whereever, whenever, however and whyever?

    abolished slavery. In 1848 the French abolished slavery. In 1869
    Portugal abolished slavery. In 1886 Cuba abolished slavey. In 1888
    Brazil abolished slavery. It wasn't until 1936 that Northern Nigeria
    abolished slavery. One could go on around the World, from whence
    slavery came, from whence slavery ended, but that's another story or
    two.

    On the first day of 1863 President Lincoln issued the Emancipation
    Proclamation, freeing slaves, albeit requiring the newly freed to
    immediately fight and die for the land they were slaves on the day
    before.

    In 1882, a labor union organized the first Labor Day, a "workingmen's
    holiday," held in New York City. The holiday grew and expanded to other
    cities, then to states, and finally, 12 years hence, in 1894, Labor Day
    became a national holiday.

    Only one year later, in 1895, was slavery abolished in the United
    States of America with the 13th amendment to the constitution.

    Then came the Jim Crow laws, the lynchings, the segregation, the
    struggle for civil rights, and all the humiliation, pain, oppression,
    murders and hatred that occured, and there are African-Americans living
    today who experienced it all first hand, whose children and
    grandchildren make up the the greater part of African-Americans living
    today in the U.S.A.

    It seems to me Labor Day ought to be expanded to Labor History Month,
    with the work of African-American slaves honored, and the work of all
    honored, and included, with an emphasis on fairness in the workforce. A
    great share of work in the trades of carpentry, plumbing, electrical,
    heating and air conditioning, machining, masonry and others is done by
    low-wage Mexicans in Southern California. In Wisconsin, the workforce
    is mostly white, high-wage. Two examples, either way, there are
    obstacles for African-Americans to be accepted into jobs in these
    trades. It is an issue for many African-Americans who want in on these
    jobs, who, like so many whites, aren't college bound, who, like so many
    whites, want to rise out of minimum wage jobs. I've been a craftsman
    half my life; I had opportunity; everybody should have opportunity.

    Now, I suppose one could retort that capitalism is business is free
    enterprise is competition is nobody ever said life was fair.

    I'm with that retort up until "nobody ever said life was fair." It
    seems to me that everybody has said life is fair, or at least, life
    will be fair. It seems to me that fairness is the ultimate spirit of
    the three major religions. It seems to me that, in Judaism, God's law
    to Moses in the form of the Ten Commandments is all about fairness.
    Ultimately, with Christianity, everthing Jesus said is about fairness.
    What little I've read of Islam, I've seen the spirit of fairness.
    Ghandi? Fairness. I believe fairness to be the supreme civilizing
    precept, forever.

    Fairness, really, is what's lacking in relations between black and
    white, between others and others. 135 "niggers" I wrote. I suppose I
    could have just as well alternated "niggers" with "wiggers" with "uncle
    toms." We've got a problem in these here United States with crossover
    inclusion. Both blacks and whites preaching race-traitor shit. Is that
    fair to either, for a step from the right to the left, for a step from
    the left to the right, for a step to white from black, for a step from
    black to white, in the name of understanding, and ultimately, fairness?

    If the man on the moon is heralded for "One small step for man, one
    giant leap for mankind," surely a man or woman, black or white or
    other, ON EARTH, should be heralded for the same?

    So much goodness in the USA and elsewhere can be found with just a
    step.

    Me, I have flaws, skeletons, demons, failures, amends to make, and yet,
    I need apologies too, you know, but I can wait; for no one's done me
    such harm to the extent that slavery did to African-Americans, to the
    extent that Nazis did to Jews, to the extent that suicide bombers do to
    others, to the extent that global, nationalistic, and political
    maneuvers that come before and after the tragic suicide/murders do.

    Joe Starck,
    madison, wi

    Tags:

  2. 41

    41 Guest

    If this is the real Joe Starck, then I can say that nearly every reader
    here would love to hear about frame building, your experiences at Trek
    and elsewhere, why you are not still building frames for Rivendell, how
    and what you ride, your opinions about equipment, geometry, frame
    shimmy, whatever.

    It's not that the other stuff isn't interesting. It's just that,
    without a context- like say the last election campaign formed, or for
    that matter, how it relates to bicycles- it's too much at one sitting
    to digest or relate to. Goes double for the collage, which no one could
    figure out.

    There's a thread on custom frames and shimmy that would love you. And
    if you like, in there you could connect some frame you built with
    something to do with racism, or anything else that strikes your fancy.

  3. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    41 wrote:

    > If this is the real Joe Starck, then I can say that nearly every reader
    > here would love to hear about frame building, your experiences at Trek
    > and elsewhere, why you are not still building frames for Rivendell, how
    > and what you ride, your opinions about equipment, geometry, frame
    > shimmy, whatever.
    >
    > It's not that the other stuff isn't interesting. It's just that,
    > without a context- like say the last election campaign formed, or for
    > that matter, how it relates to bicycles- it's too much at one sitting
    > to digest or relate to. Goes double for the collage, which no one could
    > figure out.
    >
    > There's a thread on custom frames and shimmy that would love you. And
    > if you like, in there you could connect some frame you built with
    > something to do with racism, or anything else that strikes your fancy.

    I learned of the business opportunities for Andrew Muzi. He could sell
    all around racing bikes at Yellow Jersey, climbing bikes at Polka Dot
    Jersey, Sprinting bikes at Green Jersey, and bikes for new racers at
    White Jersey.

    I also want to know if any of the cyclists in the stories rode the
    wooden boardwalk that traverses the marsh at Token Creek.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Earth

  4. 41 wrote:
    > If this is the real Joe Starck, then I can say that nearly every

    reader
    > here would love to hear about frame building, your experiences at

    Trek
    > and elsewhere, why you are not still building frames for Rivendell,

    how
    > and what you ride, your opinions about equipment, geometry, frame
    > shimmy, whatever.
    >
    > It's not that the other stuff isn't interesting. It's just that,
    > without a context- like say the last election campaign formed, or for
    > that matter, how it relates to bicycles- it's too much at one sitting
    > to digest or relate to. Goes double for the collage, which no one

    could
    > figure out.
    >
    > There's a thread on custom frames and shimmy that would love you. And
    > if you like, in there you could connect some frame you built with
    > something to do with racism, or anything else that strikes your

    fancy.

    So "41, KingGeorge, George Herbert Walker," yeah, I'm the Joe Starck
    who used to build frames for Rivendell, Trek and elsewhere, but, who
    are you?
    -Joe Starck

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Tom Sherman wrote:
    > I learned of the business opportunities for Andrew Muzi. He could sell
    > all around racing bikes at Yellow Jersey, climbing bikes at Polka Dot
    > Jersey, Sprinting bikes at Green Jersey, and bikes for new racers at
    > White Jersey.
    > I also want to know if any of the cyclists in the stories rode the
    > wooden boardwalk that traverses the marsh at Token Creek.

    Ouch. BTDT, literally. That multiple store memory dies
    hard. I'm happy in two rooms, thanks.

    I for one haven't. Lodi ( west not east) is hillier. More fun.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  6. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    A Muzi wrote:

    >> 41 wrote:
    >>
    >>> If this is the real Joe Starck, then I can say that nearly every reader
    >>> here would love to hear about frame building, your experiences at Trek
    >>> and elsewhere, why you are not still building frames for Rivendell, how
    >>> and what you ride, your opinions about equipment, geometry, frame
    >>> shimmy, whatever.
    >>> It's not that the other stuff isn't interesting. It's just that,
    >>> without a context- like say the last election campaign formed, or for
    >>> that matter, how it relates to bicycles- it's too much at one sitting
    >>> to digest or relate to. Goes double for the collage, which no one could
    >>> figure out.
    >>> There's a thread on custom frames and shimmy that would love you. And
    >>> if you like, in there you could connect some frame you built with
    >>> something to do with racism, or anything else that strikes your fancy.

    > Tom Sherman wrote:
    >
    >> I learned of the business opportunities for Andrew Muzi. He could sell
    >> all around racing bikes at Yellow Jersey, climbing bikes at Polka Dot
    >> Jersey, Sprinting bikes at Green Jersey, and bikes for new racers at
    >> White Jersey.
    >> I also want to know if any of the cyclists in the stories rode the
    >> wooden boardwalk that traverses the marsh at Token Creek.

    > Ouch. BTDT, literally. That multiple store memory dies hard. I'm happy
    > in two rooms, thanks.
    >
    > I for one haven't. Lodi ( west not east) is hillier. More fun.

    The rides out to Stewart and Brigham County Parks and/or Blue Mound
    State Park are also rather hilly, especially if one goes by Vermont Church.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Earth

  7. 41

    41 Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > So "41, KingGeorge, George Herbert Walker," yeah, I'm the Joe Starck
    > who used to build frames for Rivendell, Trek and elsewhere, but, who
    > are you?

    DEAR SIR / MADAM,

    I AM GEORGE HERBERT WALKER, THE FORMER PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES
    OF AMERICA, AND FATHER OF GEORGE WALKER BUSH, CURRENTLY SERVING AS
    PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. THIS POSTING MIGHT SURPRISE
    YOU BECAUSE WE HAVE NOT MET NEITHER IN PERSON NOR BY CORRESPONDENCE. I
    CAME TO KNOW OF YOU IN MY SEARCH FOR A RELIABLE AND REPUTABLE PERSON TO
    HANDLE A VERY CONFIDENTIAL BUSINESS TRANSACTION, WHICH INVOLVES THE
    TRANSFER OF A HUGE SUM OF MONEY TO AN ACCOUNT REQUIRING MAXIMUM
    CONFIDENCE.

    I AM WRITING YOU IN ABSOLUTE CONFIDENCE PRIMARILY TO SEEK YOUR
    ASSISTANCE IN ACQUIRING OIL FUNDS THAT ARE PRESENTLY TRAPPED IN THE
    REPUBLIC OF IRAQ. MY PARTNERS AND I SOLICIT YOUR ASSISTANCE IN
    COMPLETING A TRANSACTION BEGUN BY MYSELF, HAVING LONG BEEN ACTIVELY
    ENGAGED IN THE EXTRACTION OF PETROLEUM IN THE UNITED ST ATES OF
    AMERICA, AND BRAVELY SERVING MY COUNTRY AS DIRECTOR OF THE UNITED
    STATES CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY, THIS TRANSACTION NOW CONTINUED BY
    MY SON.

    IN THE DECADE OF THE NINETEEN-EIGHTIES, AS VICE-PRESIDENT OF THE
    UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, I SOUGHT T O WORK WITH THE GOOD OFFICES OF
    THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF IRAQ TO REGAIN LOST OIL REVENUE
    SOURCES IN THE NEIGHBORING ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF IRAN. THIS UNSUCCESSFUL
    VENTURE WAS SOON FOLLOWED BY A FALLING OUT WITH OUR IRAQI PARTNER, WHO
    SOUGHT TO ACQUIR E ADDITIONAL OIL REVENUE SOURCES IN THE NEIGHBORING
    EMIRATE OF KUWAIT, A WHOLLY-OWNED U.S.-BRITISH SUBSIDIARY.

    I RE-SECURED THE PETROLEUM ASSETS OF KUWAIT IN 1991 AT A COST OF
    SIXTY-ONE BILLION U.S. DOLLARS ($61,000,000,000). OUT OF THAT COST,
    THIRTY-SI X BILLION DOLLARS ($36,000,000,000) WERE SUPPLIED BY OUR
    PARTNERS IN THE KINGDOM OF SAUDI ARABIA AND OTHER PERSIAN GULF
    MONARCHIES, AND SIXTEEN BILLION DOLLARS ($16,000,000,000) BY GERMAN AND
    JAPANESE PARTNERS. BUT MY FORMER IRAQI BUSINESS PARTNER REMAINE D IN
    CONTROL OF THE REPUBLIC OF IRAQ AND ITS PETROLEUM RESERVES.

    MY SON IN 2003 FINALLY REMOVED THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF IRAQ
    AND ACQUIRED THE PETROLEUM ASSETS OF HIS COUNTRY, AS COMPENSATION FOR
    THE COSTS OF REMOVING HIM FROM POWER. UNFORTUNATE LY, HE HAS BUNGLED
    THE JOB, THESE ASSETS ARE NOW NEARLY WORTHLESS, DESPITE THE PRICE OF
    OIL ON WORLD MARKETS HAVING RISEN TO APPROXIMATELY $50 PER STANDARD
    BARREL, AND OUR PARTNERS FROM 1991 ARE NOT WILLING TO SHOULDER THE
    BURDEN OF THIS NEW VENTURE, WHIC H IS CONSERVATIVELY COSTING THE SUM OF
    OVER 200 BILLION DOLLARS ($200,000,000,000), BOTH IN THE INITIAL
    ACQUISITION AND IN LONG-TERM MANAGEMENT. THIS DOES NOT COUNT A FURTHER
    ATTEMPT TO REGAIN OIL REVENUES FROM THE NEIGHBOURING ISLAMIC REPUBLIC
    OF IRAN, W HICH MY SON CONTEMPLATES UNDERTAKING SHORTLY.

    WITHOUT THE COOPERATION AND FUNDS FROM OUR 1991 PARTNERS, WE WILL NOT
    BE ABLE TO ACQUIRE THE REVENUE WE EXPECTED. THAT IS WHY MY FAMILY AND
    OUR COLLEAGUES ARE URGENTLY SEEKING YOUR GRACIOUS ASSISTANCE. OUR D
    ISTINGUISHED COLLEAGUES IN THIS BUSINESS TRANSACTION INCLUDE THE
    SITTING VICE-PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, RICHARD CHENEY,
    WHO IS AN ORIGINAL PARTNER IN THE IRAQ VENTURE AND FORMER HEAD OF THE
    HALLIBURTON OIL COMPANY, AND CONDOLEEZA RICE, WH OSE PROFESSIONAL
    DEDICATION TO THE VENTURE WAS DEMONSTRATED IN THE NAMING OF A CHEVRON
    OIL TANKER AFTER HER.

    I WOULD BESEECH YOU TO TRANSFER A SUM EQUALING TEN TO TWENTY-FIVE
    PERCENT (10-25 %) OF YOUR YEARLY INCOME TO OUR ACCOUNT TO AID IN THIS
    IMPORTAN T VENTURE. THE INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE OF THE UNITED STATES
    OF AMERICA WILL FUNCTION AS OUR TRUSTED INTERMEDIARY. I PROPOSE THAT
    YOU MAKE THIS TRANSFER BEFORE THE FIFTEENTH (15TH) OF THE MONTH OF
    APRIL OF EVERY YEAR FOR THE REST OF YOUR NATURAL LIFE.

    I KNOW THAT A TRANSACTION OF THIS MAGNITUDE WOULD MAKE ANYONE
    APPREHENSIVE AND WORRIED. BUT I AM ASSURING YOU THAT ALL WILL BE WELL
    AT THE END OF THE DAY. A BOLD STEP TAKEN SHALL NOT BE REGRETTED, I
    ASSURE YOU. PLEASE DO BE INFORMED THAT THIS BUSINESS TRAN SACTION IS
    100% LEGAL. IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO CO-OPERATE IN THIS TRANSACTION,
    PLEASE CONTACT OUR INTERMEDIARY REPRESENTATIVES TO FURTHER DISCUSS THE
    MATTER.

    I PRAY THAT YOU UNDERSTAND OUR PLIGHT. MY FAMILY AND OUR COLLEAGUES
    WILL BE FOREVER GRATEFUL. PLE ASE REPLY IN STRICT CONFIDENCE TO THE
    CONTACT NUMBERS BELOW.

    SINCERELY WITH WARM REGARDS,

    GEORGE HERBERT WALKER AND SON

    202-456-1111 202-456-1414 FAX: 202-456-2461