Stereo/Mono earpiece for riding

Ray Swartz

Guest
I like to listen to books on tape when I take training rides.

I only listen in one ear, leaving the other one open to road noise.

My problem is that if I want to listen to music, I only get one
channel of the music. This is fine with books but not so hot with
music.

Does anyone know of an earpiece that can deliver stereo to just one
ear?

thanks,

Ray

"Ray Swartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I like to listen to books on tape when I take training rides.
>
> I only listen in one ear, leaving the other one open to road noise.
>
> My problem is that if I want to listen to music, I only get one
> channel of the music. This is fine with books but not so hot with
> music.
>
> Does anyone know of an earpiece that can deliver stereo to just one
> ear?
>
> thanks,
>
> Ray

With pretty basic electric skills you can buy a replacement stereo headphone
jack from Radio Shack (or a similar store) and solder your mono earbud to
both stereo channels.

HTH - Scott

"Ray Swartz" wrote: Does anyone know of an earpiece that can deliver stereo
to just one ear?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Of course, if you hook up both channes to the same ear, it will no longer be
stereo. I assume that what you want is to be able to mix the two stereo
channels, so you don't miss any of the sound. If you find a single
earpiece, that is wired to a mono plug, that is what will happen. Or you
can wire your own.

On 9 Oct 2004 20:55:13 -0700, [email protected] (Ray Swartz) wrote:

>I like to listen to books on tape when I take training rides.
>
>I only listen in one ear, leaving the other one open to road noise.
>
>My problem is that if I want to listen to music, I only get one
>channel of the music. This is fine with books but not so hot with
>music.
>
>Does anyone know of an earpiece that can deliver stereo to just one
>ear?

What you really want is to have both sides mixed so you don't miss the
instruments that were panned to the other side in mixdown. Simply shorting the
two sides together would work except the left and right amps will be fighting
one another and they don't like that. Some audio gadgets will have protection
against that or a short circuit causing damage. But then we don't know just what
you're listening to.

A simple pair of mixing resistors at the output of the device or in the jack for
the earphone would do the job at the cost of reducing available power output.
Might or might not be an issue. If you've got plenty of headroom, i.e. way more
volume than you need, this could be done. It'll involve some potentially fussy
work either inside the player or inside the jack to the 'phones. If it's a
standard stereo mini, the mod could be done inside a replacement jack.

Ron

Ray Swartz wrote:

> I like to listen to books on tape when I take training rides.
>
> I only listen in one ear, leaving the other one open to road noise.
>
> My problem is that if I want to listen to music, I only get one
> channel of the music. This is fine with books but not so hot with
> music.
>
> Does anyone know of an earpiece that can deliver stereo to just one
> ear?
>
> thanks,
>
> Ray

Sorry, Misread this as for racing. Had the vision of some poor pro
having the directeur sportif bellowing Venga Venga Venga in both ears. :)

Stan Cox

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 04:31:24 GMT, "Scott Ehardt"
>With pretty basic electric skills you can buy a replacement stereo headphone
>jack from Radio Shack (or a similar store) and solder your mono earbud to
>both stereo channels.

I think they have a stereo to mono adapter. well they used too.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes