Stereotypes?

mastronaut

Mar 23, 2006
I hate to stereotype people, but what are the chances that an over 40 year old riding a bike too small for him with a Mountain Dew in one hand and talking on a cell phone lost his drivers license? Just curious, he was wobbling over a skinny two lane bridge clueless to any traffic around him. Kinda give bicyclists a bad reputation, what's your thought? :eek:

My assumption is that he never had a liscence to begin with..... let me also take a stab and guess that he was wearing a wife beater and on his way to a trailer park....

did he have a cigarette in his mouth too?

I know steretypes dont apply to everyone, but you have to admit that a lot of people fit them.

I didn't see a cigarette hahah, but I think he had an AC/DC shirt on and was riding away from the trailer park...:p

What's a "wifebeater". I'm from the uk and haven't heard of that.

Gotte said:
I think it's a singlet or vest that lower-class Merrycans are supposed to wear instead of shirts.

Gotte said:
It is a sleeveless undershirt... the key word here is undershirt... civilized people wear them underneath shirts such as dress shirts and button up shirts.... the type of people who fit the stereotype we are speaking of wear them as actual shirts... many times with stains and/or holes.

mastronaut said:
I didn't see a cigarette hahah, but I think he had an AC/DC shirt on and was riding away from the trailer park...:p
Whoa, Butthead lives.

about 98% of the homeless in my town ride bikes. People don't connect them with real cyclist. They just see them as the scum of the earth.

mastronaut said:
I hate to stereotype people, but what are the chances that an over 40 year old riding a bike too small for him with a Mountain Dew in one hand and talking on a cell phone lost his drivers license? Just curious, he was wobbling over a skinny two lane bridge clueless to any traffic around him. Kinda give bicyclists a bad reputation, what's your thought? :eek:

We have quite a few of them around here and a couple even come in the shop. Most have lost their license due to at least three DUIs. The typical bike is a Huffy White Heat mountain bike or an old girls' frame Free Spirit ten speed. Look for the Pletcher rack on the back held on with hose clamps and/or zip ties. The rack usually has an Igloo 12 pack cooler strapped on with colorful dollar store bungee cords...
Their cycling outfit consists work boots, a sleeveless flannel shirt, and a truckers cap in some type of camoflauge print...

I'll bet my soda money he had the seat slammed all the way down too. The same way he would drive with his car seatback completely reclined. How is it all theses people who don't have jobs have cell phones? I actually have to be pl-aces and I don't really see the need for one much less want to pay the bill. I live in a crackhead town by the way so I'm just venting.

This is my first post, since so far I haven't felt I had anything of value to add to this highly esteemed crowd. But don't you all think a little these (and most other) people deserve a bit of compassion? I think that those of us with our fancy bikes and pretty outfits who put down less fortunate people do more harm to the reputation of bikers than those who ride bikes without the proper attire or posture. Hey, I'm also a Harley rider, but I always wave to any biker because we share a common thrill.

Ilan.

Ilanshanon said:
This is my first post, since so far I haven't felt I had anything of value to add to this highly esteemed crowd. But don't you all think a little these (and most other) people deserve a bit of compassion? I think that those of us with our fancy bikes and pretty outfits who put down less fortunate people do more harm to the reputation of bikers than those who ride bikes without the proper attire or posture. Hey, I'm also a Harley rider, but I always wave to any biker because we share a common thrill.

Ilan.

Nah, no compassion for people who do stupid things to put themselves in the position they're in. The folks I am referring to are riding some crappy hand-me-down bike that doesn't fit the properly are doing that because of their own foolish actions. People who endanger the lives of others by driving while intoxicated and get caught deserve everything they get and that includes being humiliated while trying to get to work on their daughter's old pink Savealot-Mart bike.
While I have some mega-fancy bikes in my stable, I'm usually spotted out riding around on my 1941 Schwinn made of junk parts and splattered in blue housepaint while wearing tattered jeans and a t-shirt.... But, hey, at least my saddle is at the proper height...
:p

Ilanshanon said:
don't you all think a little these (and most other) people deserve a bit of compassion?
Ilan.
you're right. they do.

its the jews and the irish that don't deserve compassion.

Ilanshanon said:

Ilan.
NO.