Sterling House - the sequel

Paul Boyd

Guest
Some of you may remember that my colleague bought a pair of bikes for a
ton (weight? price? you choose) from Sterling house, despite my
"suggestion" that he look elsewhere.

Well, at least a month after they arrived, he and his wife went out for
their first ride yesterday, of about 3 miles. He came in to work this
morning waving a broken chain and asked "How do you fix this?".......

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Peter Clinch

Guest
Paul Boyd wrote:
> Some of you may remember that my colleague bought a pair of bikes for a
> ton (weight? price? you choose) from Sterling house, despite my
> "suggestion" that he look elsewhere.
>
> Well, at least a month after they arrived, he and his wife went out for
> their first ride yesterday, of about 3 miles. He came in to work this
> morning waving a broken chain and asked "How do you fix this?".......

And was the reply on the lines of "dump the whole thing in a skip and
buy an Actual Bike"? ;-/

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Paul Boyd

Guest
Peter Clinch said the following on 16/07/2007 10:53:

> And was the reply on the lines of "dump the whole thing in a skip and
> buy an Actual Bike"? ;-/

Something like that ;-) I did, by great strength of will, refrain from
saying "Told you so!"

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

wafflycat

Guest
"Paul Boyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Something like that ;-) I did, by great strength of will, refrain from
> saying "Told you so!"

You're a better man than I.
I would have been sorely tempted to have pointed and laughed whilst saying
"Told you so!" ;-)

Paul Boyd

Guest
On 16/07/2007 17:58, wafflycat said,

> You're a better man than I.

No comment ;-)

> I would have been sorely tempted to have pointed and laughed whilst
> saying "Told you so!" ;-)

I just quietly pointed out how many years I've been cycling over god
knows how many miles on and off road on bikes ranging from Tensor to
Orange and have never yet had a chain snap... compared to his rather
pathetic three miles, if that :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Roger Merriman

Guest
Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 16/07/2007 17:58, wafflycat said,
>
> > You're a better man than I.

> No comment ;-)
>
> > I would have been sorely tempted to have pointed and laughed whilst
> > saying "Told you so!" ;-)

> I just quietly pointed out how many years I've been cycling over god
> knows how many miles on and off road on bikes ranging from Tensor to
> Orange and have never yet had a chain snap... compared to his rather
> pathetic three miles, if that :)

i have had a chain snap but yes it's rare and normally due to covering
of mud and then try to pull a high torque gear out. which is last straw
for the chain. but yes it very rare. was the chain made of cheese? maybe
something way out of line?

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Rob Morley

Guest
In article <1i1pmnx.7lf09p7gbyllN%[email protected]>, Roger
Merriman
[email protected] says...

> i have had a chain snap but yes it's rare and normally due to covering
> of mud and then try to pull a high torque gear out. which is last straw
> for the chain. but yes it very rare. was the chain made of cheese? maybe
> something way out of line?

We had a batch of bikes that the chains were badly riveted at the (bike,
not chain) factory - fortunately (?) I discovered it when test riding
one of them up a steep hill, so I sorted them before they were handed
over to customers. I think that's a much more likely scenario with a
new bike.

Roger Merriman

Guest
Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <1i1pmnx.7lf09p7gbyllN%[email protected]>, Roger
> Merriman
> [email protected] says...
>
> > i have had a chain snap but yes it's rare and normally due to covering
> > of mud and then try to pull a high torque gear out. which is last straw
> > for the chain. but yes it very rare. was the chain made of cheese? maybe
> > something way out of line?
> >

> We had a batch of bikes that the chains were badly riveted at the (bike,
> not chain) factory - fortunately (?) I discovered it when test riding
> one of them up a steep hill, so I sorted them before they were handed
> over to customers. I think that's a much more likely scenario with a
> new bike.

mmm yes chains are remarably tought normally.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com