Steroids and amateurs

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Apr 2, 2006.

  1. Sorry if this isn't the topic that best befits this group, but the
    recent steroid controversies in all of sports have had me wondering
    about drugs and sports on all levels, so I raise this:

    What do you think about mandatory steroids testing for high school or
    other amateur athletes? Based on past experience, I know I would
    actually be in favor of it on an introductory level.

    But what do you guys think? Should amateur athletes be tested? How do
    you feel about the statement that testing would quell all, or almost
    all, drug use among young athletes?

    I'm all for it.

    Tags:

  2. there doesn't seem to be any way to make people NOT desire and act to
    test their genetic limits. anabolic steroids aren't especially
    dangerous if used properly. drugs in sports are here to stay. and, to
    some people, that's okay.

  3. Curt James

    Curt James Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    >Sorry if this isn't the topic

    Certainly on topic in MFW, imo.

    >that best befits this group, but the
    >recent steroid controversies in all of sports have had me wondering
    >about drugs and sports on all levels, so I raise this:

    Check out Game of Shadows at your local big box bookstore. Enjoyable,
    informative, and interesting browsing at least.

    >What do you think about mandatory steroids testing for high school or
    >other amateur athletes? Based on past experience, I know I would
    >actually be in favor of it on an introductory level.
    >
    >But what do you guys think? Should amateur athletes be tested? How do
    >you feel about the statement that testing would quell all, or almost
    >all,

    Testing, imo, would not quell all, or almost all, or quite possibly
    any drug use. Basically, I'm of the opinion that there is no way to
    deter people from cheating. Catch them with the drug, well, then you
    could throw them off the team, but then look forward to psycho
    behavior, suicides, etc. from disgruntled former athletes.

    You can't win.

    >drug use among young athletes?
    >
    >I'm all for it.

    I think you have the right idea, but the wrong approach. Preaching
    drug-free may be more successful, but I doubt that, too.

    Trickle down. If the big leaguers are busted and choose to go
    drug-free then, perhaps, the little guys will see the light.

    Sincerely,
    Pollyanna

    --

  4. John Hanson

    John Hanson Guest

    On 2 Apr 2006 16:32:19 -0700, [email protected] wrote in
    misc.fitness.weights:

    >Sorry if this isn't the topic that best befits this group, but the
    >recent steroid controversies in all of sports have had me wondering
    >about drugs and sports on all levels, so I raise this:
    >
    >What do you think about mandatory steroids testing for high school or
    >other amateur athletes? Based on past experience, I know I would
    >actually be in favor of it on an introductory level.

    Who's going to pay for the testing? A drug test for steroids is about
    $85. Multiply that by the millions of high school and other amateur
    athletes. Also figure that to really do it right, you'll have to test
    each athlete at least 4 or 5 times a year. Now we are talking real
    money.

    >But what do you guys think? Should amateur athletes be tested? How do
    >you feel about the statement that testing would quell all, or almost
    >all, drug use among young athletes?

    No. I'm an amateur athlete that is subject to drug testing just by
    being a member of USA Powerlifting. I chose to lift USAPL and to
    abide by the rules of my federation. But, if someone chooses to lift
    in a fed that doesn't test, I've got no problem with that.

    >I'm all for it.

  5. WillBrink

    WillBrink Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > Sorry if this isn't the topic that best befits this group, but the
    > recent steroid controversies in all of sports have had me wondering
    > about drugs and sports on all levels, so I raise this:
    >
    > What do you think about mandatory steroids testing for high school or
    > other amateur athletes?

    Waste of time and $$$$.

    > Based on past experience, I know I would
    > actually be in favor of it on an introductory level.
    >
    > But what do you guys think? Should amateur athletes be tested? How do
    > you feel about the statement that testing would quell all, or almost
    > all, drug use among young athletes?

    Like it has been effective in pro sports?

    --
    Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

  6. Ranieri

    Ranieri Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Sorry if this isn't the topic that best befits this group, but the
    > recent steroid controversies in all of sports have had me wondering
    > about drugs and sports on all levels, so I raise this:
    >
    > What do you think about mandatory steroids testing for high school or
    > other amateur athletes? Based on past experience, I know I would
    > actually be in favor of it on an introductory level.
    >
    > But what do you guys think? Should amateur athletes be tested? How do
    > you feel about the statement that testing would quell all, or almost
    > all, drug use among young athletes?
    >
    > I'm all for it.

    Here's what you do - first day of the high school football / wrestling /
    track team info meeting - let them know they'll be expected to take a piss
    test at some point in the season and any evidence of performance enhancing
    drugs wil result in inelgibility for their entire high school careers. Maybe
    have labeled racks of test jars highly visible in the training room for the
    duration of the season. Never get around to doing the test due to budget
    cuts, etc.

    Actually, the bluff would probably have to come from the state high school
    association rather than the coaches.

    Total cost: $30 for 300 plastic bottles

  7. savanfort

    savanfort Guest

    Steroid mania? Good rubber bone and more, unfortunately!

    Good tool to develop state tyranny in the distribution of medicaments. But
    it is killing more birds with one stone. E.g. reducing the less tax paying
    pension receiving older population.

    Additionally, very effective against the general wellness of ordinary people
    who are unable to access proper medication. So, they can feel more the
    pressure of the state, their hopeless situation, and behave.

    Instead of establishing new laboratories for treatments they produce more
    and more testing of healthy young man for nothing good, but their power.
    Plus, good vehicle for developing test czars, if we would not have enough
    unwanted authorities.

    Transforming popular sports from their attraction to a subject where state
    bureaucracy can play the leading role, not the athletes.

    Creating a money making five ring cheating machine from the once popular
    Olympics.

    As a result to arise doubt against any achievement in sports. Thus
    permitting the half educated media men to play leading role. Instead of
    plain reporting of sporting events they can now perform witch hunt and
    defer interest by misleading the public.

    The list is endless of the benefits of this steroid mania. What about taking
    out the root and let free choice as normal. People could access the
    medication finally when they need without hassle.