Steroids and amateurs

Sorry if this isn't the topic that best befits this group, but the
recent steroid controversies in all of sports have had me wondering
about drugs and sports on all levels, so I raise this:

What do you think about mandatory steroids testing for high school or
other amateur athletes? Based on past experience, I know I would
actually be in favor of it on an introductory level.

But what do you guys think? Should amateur athletes be tested? How do
you feel about the statement that testing would quell all, or almost
all, drug use among young athletes?

I'm all for it.

there doesn't seem to be any way to make people NOT desire and act to
test their genetic limits. anabolic steroids aren't especially
dangerous if used properly. drugs in sports are here to stay. and, to
some people, that's okay.

[email protected] wrote:

>Sorry if this isn't the topic

Certainly on topic in MFW, imo.

>that best befits this group, but the
>recent steroid controversies in all of sports have had me wondering
>about drugs and sports on all levels, so I raise this:

Check out Game of Shadows at your local big box bookstore. Enjoyable,
informative, and interesting browsing at least.

>What do you think about mandatory steroids testing for high school or
>other amateur athletes? Based on past experience, I know I would
>actually be in favor of it on an introductory level.
>
>But what do you guys think? Should amateur athletes be tested? How do
>you feel about the statement that testing would quell all, or almost
>all,

Testing, imo, would not quell all, or almost all, or quite possibly
any drug use. Basically, I'm of the opinion that there is no way to
deter people from cheating. Catch them with the drug, well, then you
could throw them off the team, but then look forward to psycho
behavior, suicides, etc. from disgruntled former athletes.

You can't win.

>drug use among young athletes?
>
>I'm all for it.

I think you have the right idea, but the wrong approach. Preaching
drug-free may be more successful, but I doubt that, too.

Trickle down. If the big leaguers are busted and choose to go
drug-free then, perhaps, the little guys will see the light.

Sincerely,
Pollyanna

--

On 2 Apr 2006 16:32:19 -0700, [email protected] wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

>Sorry if this isn't the topic that best befits this group, but the
>recent steroid controversies in all of sports have had me wondering
>about drugs and sports on all levels, so I raise this:
>
>What do you think about mandatory steroids testing for high school or
>other amateur athletes? Based on past experience, I know I would
>actually be in favor of it on an introductory level.

Who's going to pay for the testing? A drug test for steroids is about
$85. Multiply that by the millions of high school and other amateur
athletes. Also figure that to really do it right, you'll have to test
each athlete at least 4 or 5 times a year. Now we are talking real
money.

>But what do you guys think? Should amateur athletes be tested? How do
>you feel about the statement that testing would quell all, or almost
>all, drug use among young athletes?

No. I'm an amateur athlete that is subject to drug testing just by
being a member of USA Powerlifting. I chose to lift USAPL and to
abide by the rules of my federation. But, if someone chooses to lift
in a fed that doesn't test, I've got no problem with that.

>I'm all for it.

> Sorry if this isn't the topic that best befits this group, but the
> recent steroid controversies in all of sports have had me wondering
> about drugs and sports on all levels, so I raise this:
>
> What do you think about mandatory steroids testing for high school or
> other amateur athletes?

Waste of time and $$$$.

> Based on past experience, I know I would
> actually be in favor of it on an introductory level.
>
> But what do you guys think? Should amateur athletes be tested? How do
> you feel about the statement that testing would quell all, or almost
> all, drug use among young athletes?

Like it has been effective in pro sports?

--
Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sorry if this isn't the topic that best befits this group, but the
> recent steroid controversies in all of sports have had me wondering
> about drugs and sports on all levels, so I raise this:
>
> What do you think about mandatory steroids testing for high school or
> other amateur athletes? Based on past experience, I know I would
> actually be in favor of it on an introductory level.
>
> But what do you guys think? Should amateur athletes be tested? How do
> you feel about the statement that testing would quell all, or almost
> all, drug use among young athletes?
>
> I'm all for it.

Here's what you do - first day of the high school football / wrestling /
track team info meeting - let them know they'll be expected to take a ****
test at some point in the season and any evidence of performance enhancing
drugs wil result in inelgibility for their entire high school careers. Maybe
have labeled racks of test jars highly visible in the training room for the
duration of the season. Never get around to doing the test due to budget
cuts, etc.

Actually, the bluff would probably have to come from the state high school
association rather than the coaches.

Total cost: $30 for 300 plastic bottles

Steroid mania? Good rubber bone and more, unfortunately!

Good tool to develop state tyranny in the distribution of medicaments. But
it is killing more birds with one stone. E.g. reducing the less tax paying
pension receiving older population.

Additionally, very effective against the general wellness of ordinary people
who are unable to access proper medication. So, they can feel more the
pressure of the state, their hopeless situation, and behave.

Instead of establishing new laboratories for treatments they produce more
and more testing of healthy young man for nothing good, but their power.
Plus, good vehicle for developing test czars, if we would not have enough
unwanted authorities.

Transforming popular sports from their attraction to a subject where state
bureaucracy can play the leading role, not the athletes.

Creating a money making five ring cheating machine from the once popular
Olympics.

As a result to arise doubt against any achievement in sports. Thus
permitting the half educated media men to play leading role. Instead of
plain reporting of sporting events they can now perform witch hunt and
defer interest by misleading the public.

The list is endless of the benefits of this steroid mania. What about taking
out the root and let free choice as normal. People could access the
medication finally when they need without hassle.