Steve Bauer

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Ed's a ped, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Ed's a ped

Ed's a ped New Member

And yet another confirmation of Ed being full of ...
    In an interview on Canadian Cyclist, Steve Bauer talks about the strength of the Canadian field today, stating that it is now better then when Evian was around. He does go on to say that there are things that need improvement, but we know that. Hasn't Ed used Steve's good name to support his claims? How could such a great friend go against what Ed claims, unless Ed is not speaking the truth?

Tags:

2. Fausto Coppied

Fausto Coppied New Member

Steve Bauer is saying what is convenient for him for himself at this time.

Steve last raced in the Elite or Pro peloton abut ten years ago.

Here is what Gord Fraser said about 10 months when he retired.

Gord Fraser Speaks About Life Inside The Pro Peloton
    by Lucinda Wallace

"After a period of racing track for the national team, Fraser joined the Toronto-based Magicuts road cycling team in 1990. One of his most memorable seasons was spent competing in the Canadian Tire racing series, which provided national coverage and substantial prize money. “If we had even close to the amount of prize money that we had back then, it would be like heaven. You get spoilt when you’re a first or second year senior and you don’t go for a $1,000 prime because it’s not enough – nowadays, in the States, if there’s even a $50 prime everyone’s killing each other for it.”
    http://www.pedalmag.com/index.php?module=Section&action=viewdetail&item_id=9017

So believe who you want.

3. Fausto Coppied

Ask Steve where the next Gord Fraser is. Or the next Steve Bauer? Or Alex Steida. There are decent riders out there but none that can win big races, or very few. Those that are around have been for five to ten years already.

4. Uboat

Uboat New Member

Um, Svein Tuft just won the UCI America Tour. That's North and South America.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2007/interviews/?id=svein_tuft_sep07

Good article about what they are doing in Sun today, reprinted on Symmetrics site, check it out. http://www.symmetricscycling.com/

And good day sirs.

5. Fausto Coppied

Yes, Tuft is a good rider. Excellent TT guy.

He does not have a lot of wins. (wasn't the US Open his first road race win???)He is a very strong, constitent rider. It remains to be seen if he will win big races. Winning an overal series is not like wining a classic race nor its it like winning a tour.

He may find the knack.

Keep something in mind, most of you people treat these guys like heroes or untouchables, I hired some of them and turned some of them down. I evaluate them objectively, based on other riders out there.

6. Jasmineminor

Jasmineminor New Member

Tuft has road natonals wins, Beauce wins, US open, tour of Cuba, and many other wins under his belt. He is not a sprinter, but a stage racer.. so don't compare him to Gordo. ow many sateg races did Gord win?

Svein Tuft was not racing when you " turned some of them down". again,, you are living in the past......

Racing has changed BIG time and there is no going back. Get over it.

7. Fausto Coppied

It has changed.

According to Gord Fraser it has gotten worse, not better. He made that very clear. That was the point.

Bauer's recent statement was simply incorrect. He is far from infallible.

And again, Jasmine Minor, you lie about Tuft, he has NEVER own a CDN National Road Race title. In fact prior to 2007 he seems to have had only one road win and that was at a smaller race in BC. He has one Beauce stage win. Are you always so misinformed? Do you ever bother to check your facts.

Note to Tuft and Symmtrics, he should have his own updated web site to market himself properly. If he does have a site hire a better designer/programmer to get it to the top of the search engines.

1st, Elite Canadian Time Trail Championships, Kamloops, BC
    1st, Yaletown Grand Prix, Vancouver, BC
    1st, BC Time Trial Championships, Squamish, BC
    1st Silver Lake Time Trial, Nooksack, WA
    2nd, Bastion Square Grand Prix, Victoria, BC
    2nd, Elite Canadian Road Race Championships, Kamloops, BC
    3rd, Elite Canadian Criterium Championships, Kamloops, BC
    4th, Gastown Grand Prix, Vancouver, BC
    4th, Enumclaw Stage Race, Enumclaw, WA

Canada National Time Trial Cycling Champion

Canada National Time Trial Cycling Champion

1st, Overall, Vuelta a Cuba (UCI America Tour)

1st, Stage 1 Redlands Classic

1st, U.S. Open Cycling Championships

2nd, Overall, Tour de Beauce

2nd, Canada National Time Trial Championship

8. Jasmineminor

Jasmineminor New Member

You know what I get such a laugh out of winding you up and then watching you spin off in all directions. Throw in some "mistakes" and you go balistic.

Like I give a crap. I don't care about 'credibility'. Why do you? You have none and you never ever will again.

You are such a pathetic little man. Cycling in Canada and the US want nothing to do with you. NOTHING. But that does not quell your desperation for recognition does it?

Ahh.. take a valium or whatever your drug of choice is these days.

9. Uboat

Uboat New Member

So when Gord says something you agree with, it's true, but when Steve Bauer says something that you don't agree with, it's false? That's awfully convenient that if someone says something that you don't agree with, they are "simply incorrect." That would make *you* infallible. Must be nice.

Maybe Symmetrics should hire your webguy? I think you updated your site 3 years ago, isn't that what someone said here?

Good day sir. Thanks for letting us know that Steve Bauer knows nothing about cycling, that might quite possibly be your best statement yet.

10. Fausto Coppied

Uboat, of course, I did not say Bauer knows nothing about cycling. What I said is that I disagree with his assessment and so does Fraser that things are better in Canadian cycling than they were 10 or 15 years ago.

If Steve can point to some facts to back up his statement I'd be more persuaded.

Furthermore, you may think Steve Bauer is infallible. I don't.

Let me tell you a little story about the 1992 Pro World Road Championships in Bendidorm Spain and Steve Bauer. I took a full Canadian pro team to that event. It was the first and only time in the old Professional ranks that Canada had even its own team car in the event. We paid for it all. Ron Hayman and the CCA refused to give us dime to represent the country. We went over budget and I ended up giving up about $8000 in salary at the end of the year to make ends meet and ensure all the riders got paid in full.

We went to support Steve Bauer.

1992 was Steve Bauer’s last season as a Euro Pro rider. He had to perform there. The Evian team went to support him and gain some experience.

The day before the race, Saturday, we all went for an easy ride for a couple of hours. Bauer wanted to go to a go-cart track. I didn’t think it was a good idea.

Steve had even brought different shoes because he had hurt his feet a few days earlier from pushing on the brake and gas pedals of the go-carts. None of my guys had other shoes, some went bare foot some used their cycling shoes. I told all of them I really thought the go-cat rides were a bad idea, there was the unnecessary risk of injury and the new and different stress placed on different legs muscles the day before the World’s Road race.

Bauer insisted, “Lighten up, Ed , it will just take the edge off the nerves.”

I refused to go along and said I objected.

The riders went along, after all Steve Bauer said it was Ok.

I watched as the entire Canadian professional cycling team road around a dangerous go-cart track, not even with helmets on, the day before the biggest race of their lives. I was thinking to myself, “Geez, this is a really bad idea.”

Well, the next day in the World Championships all the guys, to a man, complained of sore legs.

I guarantee you it was the go-carts.

Steve and everybody had a bad race. Go-carting the day before the worlds was a really bad choice.

Steve got annoyed with everybody. He had a big argument with the coach he had there, Oliver “Botch” Martin the former rider and organizer of West Virginia Mountain Classic. Martin didn’t even have enough money to get back to the airport in Barcelona. I had to give him a hundred bucks. He never re-paid it by the way. Oliver, you can mail me that anytime you like.

Following those world Championships Steve Bauer left Europe and returned to the US & Canada to finish his career. He rode another four years for domestic teams.

11. Uboat

Uboat New Member

Hey great story that has nothing to do with anything Ed. Thanks for nothing.

What Bauer is referring to is there are currently three multi millionaires funding three professional teams in Canada. Symmetrics is at nearly a million bucks cash whether you believe it or not, and RACE is on its way. RACE is getting a huge comittment now that Bauer is involved and has a long-term plan. Calyon is a very decent set-up as well for young pros. He said that at Beauce and Canadian races he was impressed at the level of domestic racing and the support from the Canadian teams. But I forgot, he's wrong because you say so.

12. Fausto Coppied

I disagree. So does Fraser.

I'm not sellling anything like Bauer is currently trying to do. Of course he will be more upbeat.

The story has everything to do with the point I was making about Bauer. He is sometimes wrong.

He was wrong then. He is wrong now.

Symmetrics and their riders are stil virtually unknown to general pulbic. They get next to no mainstream media coverage. Ask anybody you know east of BC what Symmetrics is they will not know. The team needs a major, recognizable brand-name sponsor to go to the next level. Like Evian, or Toshiba-Magicuts or Subaru or Coors Light or Crest or Saturn or Motorola, like Tim Hortons if they gave more than $400,000 for all the Olympic cycling teams and all the CDN nationals championships combined.