Steve Irwin dead(The Croc.Hunter)

Dasyatids generally do not attack aggressively or even actively defend themselves. When threatened, their primary reaction is to swim away. However, when they are attacked by predators or stepped on, the barbed stinger in their tail is mechanically whipped up. This attack is normally ineffective against their main predator, sharks.[1] Humans are usually stung in the foot; it is also possible, although less likely, to be stung by brushing against the stinger. The stinger may break off, which is non-fatal to the stingray, and will be regrown. Contact with the stinger causes local trauma (from the cut itself), pain and swelling from the venom, and possible infection from parts of the stinger left in the wound. Injuries to humans include, but are not limited to: poisoning, punctures, severed arteries and possible death. Fatal stings, such as that which killed Australian naturalist and television personality Steve Irwin in 2006, sting to the heart are extremely rare. As of 1996, worldwide known deaths from stingray barb injuries numbered 17.[3] As of 2001, there was only one documented instance where a person survived a stingray injury to the heart.[4] In the case of stings to the heart, it is the site of injury and the nature of the wound that prove to be fatal, not merely the venom of the stingray.

Treatment for stings includes application of near-scalding water, which helps ease pain by denaturing the complex venom protein, and antibiotics. Immediate injection of local anaesthetic in and around the wound is very helpful, as is the use of adjunct opiates such as intramuscular pethidine. Local anaesthetic brings almost instant relief for several hours. Other possible pain remedies include papain (papaya extract, contained in unseasoned powdered meat tenderizer), which may break down the protein of the toxins, although this may be more appropriate for jellyfish and similar stings. Folklore incorrectly holds that one should urinate on the stung area; in actuality, urine and vinegar are not effective treatments.[5] Pain normally lasts up to 48 hours, but is most severe in the first 30–60 minutes and may be accompanied by nausea, fatigue, headaches, fever and chills.

Carrera said:
Sorry Carrera, but a revised edition of your post is needed.....

I used to keep dangerous animals such as "ex-wive's" and even "girlfriends" that can sting. I almost graduated to "2nd wiife " which are deadly. One of my party tricks was to clean my "ex-wife's purse" out with a syphon and unprotected hands and when people told me I was crazy, I'd reply I was also in control.
I realise now that wasn't true. In fact, my brother was stung by his girlfriend and had to go to hospital.
In evolutionary terms, "ex-wives" are always faster, stronger and more unpredictable than "men". Sooner or later you'll get nailed unless you treat then with a healthy dose of fear.

lwedge said:
Dasyatids generally do not attack aggressively or even actively defend themselves. When threatened, their primary reaction is to swim away. However, when they are attacked by predators or stepped on, the barbed stinger in their tail is mechanically whipped up. This attack is normally ineffective against their main predator, sharks.[1] Humans are usually stung in the foot; it is also possible, although less likely, to be stung by brushing against the stinger. The stinger may break off, which is non-fatal to the stingray, and will be regrown. Contact with the stinger causes local trauma (from the cut itself), pain and swelling from the venom, and possible infection from parts of the stinger left in the wound. Injuries to humans include, but are not limited to: poisoning, punctures, severed arteries and possible death. Fatal stings, such as that which killed Australian naturalist and television personality Steve Irwin in 2006, sting to the heart are extremely rare. As of 1996, worldwide known deaths from stingray barb injuries numbered 17.[3] As of 2001, there was only one documented instance where a person survived a stingray injury to the heart.[4] In the case of stings to the heart, it is the site of injury and the nature of the wound that prove to be fatal, not merely the venom of the stingray.

Treatment for stings includes application of near-scalding water, which helps ease pain by denaturing the complex venom protein, and antibiotics. Immediate injection of local anaesthetic in and around the wound is very helpful, as is the use of adjunct opiates such as intramuscular pethidine. Local anaesthetic brings almost instant relief for several hours. Other possible pain remedies include papain (papaya extract, contained in unseasoned powdered meat tenderizer), which may break down the protein of the toxins, although this may be more appropriate for jellyfish and similar stings. Folklore incorrectly holds that one should urinate on the stung area; in actuality, urine and vinegar are not effective treatments.[5] Pain normally lasts up to 48 hours, but is most severe in the first 30–60 minutes and may be accompanied by nausea, fatigue, headaches, fever and chills.

Yes, the article I read said that the barb punctured his heart and that's what killed him, not being stung.

He should never have pulled that stunt with his kids. However, his heart was in the right place and he did a lot to help protect animals. He knew a good deal about animals and, of course, was very entertaining in his presentation. In the end, his death came down to bad luck as he was carrying out a reasonably safe activity.

Carrera said:
He should never have pulled that stunt with his kids. However, his heart was in the right place and he did a lot to help protect animals. He knew a good deal about animals and, of course, was very entertaining in his presentation. In the end, his death came down to bad luck as he was carrying out a reasonably safe activity.
The most dangerous animal he dangled his kid in front of on that particular day was a news camera.

Get up close to a big saltie and you may change your mind.They can move faster than a race horse in a straight line and can reach up into trees to get trapped animal carcasses.

stevebaby said:
Get up close to a big saltie and you may change your mind.They can move faster than a race horse in a straight line and can reach up into trees to get trapped animal carcasses.

You haven't seen Ray Martin in action
:D

.... and on the topic of foul, vicious creatures, what did you think of Germaine Greer's little effort?

fatboy61 said:
.... and on the topic of foul, vicious creatures, what did you think of Germaine Greer's little effort?
In the Guardian? Some of what she said was true. She picked a bad time to say it though.
I was never a fan of Steve Irwin's.I'm sorry he was killed in such a bizarre fashion though.
I'm sure he was sincere in his conservation beliefs and less motivated by money than GG accuses him of being,but I've always found that it's best to leave wild and possibly dangerous animals alone and watch them from a distance.
I much prefer David Attenborough's style.Less "showmanship" and more reverence.
I don't much like zoos either,actually.

stevebaby said:
In the Guardian? Some of what she said was true. She picked a bad time to say it though.
I was never a fan of Steve Irwin's.I'm sorry he was killed in such a bizarre fashion though.
I'm sure he was sincere in his conservation beliefs and less motivated by money than GG accuses him of being,but I've always found that it's best to leave wild and possibly dangerous animals alone and watch them from a distance.
I much prefer David Attenborough's style.Less "showmanship" and more reverence.
I don't much like zoos either,actually.

Pretty much agree word for word. Damn!!
She could have let the poor guy grow cold first. I was pretty indifferent to Irwin, but I am sad it happened.
I used to see a lot of rays when swimming, spearfishing etc as a kid. If ever the "they are more frightened of you.." etc applied to an animal it would be the stingray. They spook and take off at the slightest provocation.

fatboy61 said:
Pretty much agree word for word. Damn!!
She could have let the poor guy grow cold first. I was pretty indifferent to Irwin, but I am sad it happened.
I used to see a lot of rays when swimming, spearfishing etc as a kid. If ever the "they are more frightened of you.." etc applied to an animal it would be the stingray. They spook and take off at the slightest provocation.
Did you ever go spear-fishing down at Rapid Bay? I lived down that way as a kid.We used to see Rodney Fox (after the noah took his leg off) trying to get revenge.
Eventually he gave it up,realised that they were only doing what came natural to them and in fact,he became an ardent conservationist and champion for sharks.
Rays aren't bad eating though...

PS. Pass on Ray Martin though....too oily. :D

stevebaby said:
Did you ever go spear-fishing down at Rapid Bay? I lived down that way as a kid.We used to see Rodney Fox (after the noah took his leg off) trying to get revenge.
Eventually he gave it up,realised that they were only doing what came natural to them and in fact,he became an ardent conservationist and champion for sharks.
Rays aren't bad eating though...

PS. Pass on Ray Martin though....too oily. :D

Yeah, spear-fished and scuba-dived (dove, whatever) @ Rapid Bay a few times. The jetty is closed now which is a tragedy, although they are mooting a new one. Used to see stacks of rays off the old Brighton jetty, where I spent most of my summers. You would see a big one skulking around and finally someone would rake up the courage to dive-bomb off the old tin roof, which would put the frightners into the poor old ray.

Don't know about eating ray martin... filleting and cleaning would be a *****. :D :D :D

fatboy61 said:
Yeah, spear-fished and scuba-dived (dove, whatever) @ Rapid Bay a few times. The jetty is closed now which is a tragedy, although they are mooting a new one. Used to see stacks of rays off the old Brighton jetty, where I spent most of my summers. You would see a big one skulking around and finally someone would rake up the courage to dive-bomb off the old tin roof, which would put the frightners into the poor old ray.

Don't know about eating ray martin... filleting and cleaning would be a *****. :D :D :D
You'd have to skin him too,and he'd have to have a pretty thick hide.
Nah,wouldn't bother...just cut'im up for bait.

...getting back on topic, though, don't we all see divorce lawyers more like those slimy eggs in "alien"...just waiting for it to pop open and then your stuck with a bony legged, acid spewing, throat-throttling thing on your face with some sort of umbilical cord down your gut until it finally falls off your face and when your out at dinner, all of sudden your ex-wife is breaking out of your stomach and your, like, dead on the table without having enjoyed a whole meal...or is it just me...?

slovakguy said:
...getting back on topic, though, don't we all see divorce lawyers more like those slimy eggs in "alien"...just waiting for it to pop open and then your stuck with a bony legged, acid spewing, throat-throttling thing on your face with some sort of umbilical cord down your gut until it finally falls off your face and when your out at dinner, all of sudden your ex-wife is breaking out of your stomach and your, like, dead on the table without having enjoyed a whole meal...or is it just me...?

on topic??? Dude!! go do some anger management
:D :D :D

fatboy61 said:
on topic??? Dude!! go do some anger management
:D :D :D

He doesn't need anger management. His reaction is about normal when dealing with an ex ,however I find that fact that he considers not getting a full meal the worst part about dying a horrible death. Very interesting!
Kind of has a Freudian thing.

jhuskey said:
Kind of has a Freudian thing.

If you say so. I was thinking more equal parts stream of consciousness/Eric Cartman from Southpark.
But that's just me being a boorish Aussie, by crikey. We do tend to say crikey a lot. And stray off-topic.

fatboy61 said:
If you say so. I was thinking more equal parts stream of consciousness/Eric Cartman from Southpark.
But that's just me being a boorish Aussie, by crikey. We do tend to say crikey a lot. And stray off-topic.
i gotta say, slightly off topic that Fatboy has the coolest profile image i have ever seen, i wish i had thought of that...

yeah, steve irwin...a tragedy.

MountainPro said:
i gotta say, slightly off topic that Fatboy has the coolest profile image i have ever seen, i wish i had thought of that...

yeah, steve irwin...a tragedy.

not nearly as cool as il pirato