Steve Johnson, what an asshole

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bob Schwartz, Mar 30, 2003.

  1. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    On FGF Scott says to let him know what we think. Well, being the shy, introverted type that I am I
    decided to broadcast what I think in the subject line.

    "USAC in fact didn't change the selection criteria, we simply had not yet published them for this
    year. Jame and Colby have complained that the selections were different to what they had been told,
    but they hadn't been told anything, they had just assumed."

    What an unusual defense, that they didn't have their act together enough to tell people what they
    had to do!

    Gerard has made the point that one of USAC's charters is to win medals and that most of the cycling
    medals are on the track. And Dave Bailey is absolutely right that the talent pool for track has
    vaporized over the last decade. So what the hell is going on here?

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On FGF Scott says to let him know what we think. Well, being the shy, introverted type that I am I
    > decided to broadcast what I think in the subject line.
    >
    > "USAC in fact didn't change the selection criteria, we simply had not yet published them for this
    > year. Jame and Colby have complained that the selections were different to what they had been
    > told, but they hadn't been told anything, they had just assumed."
    >
    > What an unusual defense, that they didn't have their act together enough to tell people what they
    > had to do!
    >
    > Gerard has made the point that one of USAC's charters is to win medals and that most of the
    > cycling medals are on the track. And Dave Bailey is absolutely right that the talent pool for
    > track has vaporized over the last decade. So what the hell is going on here?
    >
    > Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  3. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > On FGF Scott says to let him know what we think. Well, being the shy, introverted type that I am
    > > I decided to broadcast what I think in the subject line.
    > >
    > > "USAC in fact didn't change the selection criteria, we simply had not yet published them for
    > > this year. Jame and Colby have complained that the selections were different to what they had
    > > been told, but they hadn't been told anything, they had just assumed."
    > >
    > > What an unusual defense, that they didn't have their act together enough to tell people what
    > > they had to do!
    > >
    > > Gerard has made the point that one of USAC's charters is to win medals and that most of the
    > > cycling medals are on the track. And Dave Bailey is absolutely right that the talent pool for
    > > track has vaporized over the last decade. So what the hell is going on here?
    > >
    > > Bob Schwartz [email protected]

    So Johnson's reply left you speechless too, eh, Robert? ;-)

    Andy Coggan

  4. Scott Patton

    Scott Patton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >On FGF Scott says to let him know what we think. Well, being the shy, introverted type that I am I
    >decided to broadcast what I think in the subject line.
    >
    >"USAC in fact didn't change the selection criteria, we simply had not yet published them for this
    >year. Jame and Colby have complained that the selections were different to what they had been told,
    >but they hadn't been told anything, they had just assumed."
    >
    >What an unusual defense, that they didn't have their act together enough to tell people what they
    >had to do!
    >
    >Gerard has made the point that one of USAC's charters is to win medals and that most of the cycling
    >medals are on the track. And Dave Bailey is absolutely right that the talent pool for track has
    >vaporized over the last decade. So what the hell is going on here?
    >
    >Bob Schwartz [email protected]

    The reply that got me was the one to Walrod.

    (also on www.FixedGearFever.com)

    Scott

    --
    -*- Scott Patton -*- Colorado Springs, CO -*- http://www.FixedGearFever.com -*- Track Racing
    Web Services

  5. Xzzy

    Xzzy Guest

    Speak with your legs and not with your mouth

    John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com

    "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On FGF Scott says to let him know what we think. Well, being the shy, introverted type that I am I
    > decided to broadcast what I think in the subject line.
    >
    > "USAC in fact didn't change the selection criteria, we simply had not yet published them for this
    > year. Jame and Colby have complained that the selections were different to what they had been
    > told, but they hadn't been told anything, they had just assumed."
    >
    > What an unusual defense, that they didn't have their act together enough to tell people what they
    > had to do!
    >
    > Gerard has made the point that one of USAC's charters is to win medals and that most of the
    > cycling medals are on the track. And Dave Bailey is absolutely right that the talent pool for
    > track has vaporized over the last decade. So what the hell is going on here?
    >
    > Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  6. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    And just what are YOUR legs doing to improve the state of track cycling in the US, oh wise one?

    Andy Coggan

    "xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Speak with your legs and not with your mouth
    >
    > John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com
    >
    > "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > On FGF Scott says to let him know what we think. Well, being the shy, introverted type that I am
    > > I decided to broadcast what I think in the subject line.
    > >
    > > "USAC in fact didn't change the selection criteria, we simply had not yet published them for
    > > this year. Jame and Colby have complained that the selections were different to what they had
    > > been told, but they hadn't been told anything, they had just assumed."
    > >
    > > What an unusual defense, that they didn't have their act together enough to tell people what
    > > they had to do!
    > >
    > > Gerard has made the point that one of USAC's charters is to win medals and that most of the
    > > cycling medals are on the track. And Dave Bailey is absolutely right that the talent pool for
    > > track has vaporized over the last decade. So what the hell is going on here?
    > >
    > > Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  7. Scott Patton

    Scott Patton Guest

  8. Xzzy

    Xzzy Guest

    > And just what are YOUR legs doing to improve the state of track cycling in the US, oh wise one?
    >
    > Andy Coggan
    >
    > "xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Speak with your legs and not with your mouth
    > >
    > > John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com
    > >
    > > "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > On FGF Scott says to let him know what we think. Well, being the shy, introverted type that I
    > > > am I decided to broadcast what I think in the subject line.
    > > >
    > > > "USAC in fact didn't change the selection criteria, we simply had not yet published them for
    > > > this year. Jame and Colby have complained that the selections were different to what they had
    > > > been told, but they hadn't been told anything, they had just assumed."
    > > >
    > > > What an unusual defense, that they didn't have their act together enough to tell people what
    > > > they had to do!
    > > >
    > > > Gerard has made the point that one of USAC's charters is to win medals and that most of the
    > > > cycling medals are on the track. And Dave Bailey is absolutely right that the talent pool for
    > > > track has vaporized over the last decade. So what the hell is going on here?
    > > >
    > > > Bob Schwartz [email protected]

    Currently, I am recovering from injuries sustained when a car ran over me in March 2001. What have I
    done for track racing? I was on the USCF Board of Directors from 88 - 92 and implemented many
    programs to aid local racing, including the track bike program. What have you done?

    John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com

  9. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote
    > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote

    [nothing]

    > So Johnson's reply left you speechless too, eh, Robert? ;-)

    Very nearly, and those who know me realize how unusual that is. Basically, my original response was
    sputtering profanity.

    Once again, cyclingnews.com shows its value in covering the story.

  10. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...
    > > And just what are YOUR legs doing to improve the state of track cycling
    in
    > > the US, oh wise one?
    > >
    > > Andy Coggan
    > >
    > > "xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Speak with your legs and not with your mouth
    > > >
    > > > John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com
    > > >
    > > > "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > Currently, I am recovering from injuries sustained when a car ran over me
    in
    > March 2001. What have I done for track racing? I was on the USCF Board
    of
    > Directors from 88 - 92 and implemented many programs to aid local racing, including the track bike
    > program. What have you done?

    I am sorry to hear about your accident - given that, my choice of words was unfortunate. However, I
    stand by my attempt to support Bob Schwartz's right to express his opinions (though I don't always
    agree with him), something that you apparently wished to stifle.

    Andy Coggan

  11. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Very nearly, and those who know me realize how unusual that is. Basically, my original response
    > was sputtering profanity.

    Steve Johnson est un trou du cul?

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  12. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    > What have I done for track racing? I was on the USCF Board of Directors from 88 - 92 and
    > implemented many programs to aid local racing, including the track bike program. What have
    > you done?

    Although I'm sure it wasn't your intention, that underscores my point. Since 1988 the US has
    taken 6 medals on the track vs 2 on the road and 1 in MtB. The period from the late 80s up to
    1996 was a high point in support for the US track program and if medals are the goal then the
    results showed this.

    Since 1996 USAC has been bent on flushing everything that had been accomplished down the toilet.
    It's a mess. It would be a tremendous improvement if we could return to the level of support we had
    in the late 80s and early 90s.

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  13. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    scott patton <[email protected]> wrote:
    > The reply that got me was the one to Walrod.

    > (also on www.FixedGearFever.com)

    Yeah, when I read that I though, jeez, what an... oh never mind. I mean, he's absolutely right
    that a rider's ability defines their market value. Except that in the context of track racing,
    there is no market. The only US trackie since Frank Kramer who was able to pay the bills while
    concentrating on the track was Marty, and his value wasn't as a racer so much as an unwitting
    accomplice to wire fraud.

    And it's not like this is unique to the US. There are a handful of guys that can make a living at
    the 6 days and there are keirin racers in Japan that do OK. But when you look at medal winners at
    worlds you are looking at people who for the most part would be screwed without support from their
    national federations.

    In this situation the best USAC can hope for is to come off as horrendously incompetent. Any defense
    makes Steve Johnson look like an asshole.

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  14. Currently, I am recovering from injuries sustained when a car ran over me in
    > March 2001. What have I done for track racing? I was on the USCF Board of Directors from 88 - 92
    > and implemented many programs to aid local racing, including the track bike program. What have
    > you done?
    >
    > John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com

    Andy has helped bring up the level of elite track racing, by assisting several elite level track
    athletes with their training programs...

    Joey

  15. "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Although I'm sure it wasn't your intention, that underscores my point. Since 1988 the US has
    > taken 6 medals on the track vs 2 on the road and 1 in MtB. The period from the late 80s up to
    > 1996 was a high point in support for the US track program and if medals are the goal then the
    > results showed this.
    >
    > Since 1996 USAC has been bent on flushing everything that had been accomplished down the toilet.
    > It's a mess. It would be a tremendous improvement if we could return to the level of support we
    > had in the late 80s and early 90s.

    I presume you are referring to Olympic medals. If so, you need to give less credit to the Feds and
    more credit to the individuals who earned them.

    If I have it straight:

    1988 Connie Young sprints - Fed financial support; trained on her own 1992 Rebecca Twigg pursuit -
    Some Fed financial support; trained a lot on her own (comeback year) 1992 Ervdog H. Kilo - Lots of
    Fed support in all aspects 1996 Ervdog H. Kilo - Fed financial support, less fed support in other
    ways 1996 Nodeberg Sprint- Lots of Fed support, was probably the primary sponsor focus for '96 2000
    Nodeberg Sprint - Lots of Fed support, but a little more independent than '96

    '88 was nothing special in terms of support for track riders, neither were the years leading up to
    and including 1992. From 1989 thru 1992, the coaching staff was in continuous upheaval. We went from
    aero tubed carbon fiber Raleighs built by Mike Melton in 1988 to round tube steel
    Yamaguchi/Performance bikes in 1992.

    Due to the locality of the 1984 and 1996 Games, sponsor interest and support was much greater in the
    quadrenniums leading up to those games. 1984 had three major sponsors supporting track squads
    (7-Eleven, SRC Raleigh, and Murray). 1996 of course had Project 96 support and the Feds actually
    showed some interest in supporting the national track team financially, whereas before most of the
    grants and stipends had gone to the road team.

    Following 1996 was the usual collapse of support that occurs in a post Olympic year, only the
    drop was greater since the amount of support had been so much better leading up to 1996 than
    1988 and 1992.