Steve Johnson, what an asshole

Bob Schwartz

Guest
On FGF Scott says to let him know what we think. Well, being the shy, introverted type that I am I
decided to broadcast what I think in the subject line.

"USAC in fact didn't change the selection criteria, we simply had not yet published them for this
year. Jame and Colby have complained that the selections were different to what they had been told,
but they hadn't been told anything, they had just assumed."

What an unusual defense, that they didn't have their act together enough to tell people what they
had to do!

Gerard has made the point that one of USAC's charters is to win medals and that most of the cycling
medals are on the track. And Dave Bailey is absolutely right that the talent pool for track has
vaporized over the last decade. So what the hell is going on here?

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On FGF Scott says to let him know what we think. Well, being the shy, introverted type that I am I
> decided to broadcast what I think in the subject line.
>
> "USAC in fact didn't change the selection criteria, we simply had not yet published them for this
> year. Jame and Colby have complained that the selections were different to what they had been
> told, but they hadn't been told anything, they had just assumed."
>
> What an unusual defense, that they didn't have their act together enough to tell people what they
> had to do!
>
> Gerard has made the point that one of USAC's charters is to win medals and that most of the
> cycling medals are on the track. And Dave Bailey is absolutely right that the talent pool for
> track has vaporized over the last decade. So what the hell is going on here?
>
> Bob Schwartz [email protected]

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > On FGF Scott says to let him know what we think. Well, being the shy, introverted type that I am
> > I decided to broadcast what I think in the subject line.
> >
> > "USAC in fact didn't change the selection criteria, we simply had not yet published them for
> > this year. Jame and Colby have complained that the selections were different to what they had
> > been told, but they hadn't been told anything, they had just assumed."
> >
> > What an unusual defense, that they didn't have their act together enough to tell people what
> > they had to do!
> >
> > Gerard has made the point that one of USAC's charters is to win medals and that most of the
> > cycling medals are on the track. And Dave Bailey is absolutely right that the talent pool for
> > track has vaporized over the last decade. So what the hell is going on here?
> >
> > Bob Schwartz [email protected]

So Johnson's reply left you speechless too, eh, Robert? ;-)

Andy Coggan

In article <[email protected]>, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:
>On FGF Scott says to let him know what we think. Well, being the shy, introverted type that I am I
>decided to broadcast what I think in the subject line.
>
>"USAC in fact didn't change the selection criteria, we simply had not yet published them for this
>year. Jame and Colby have complained that the selections were different to what they had been told,
>but they hadn't been told anything, they had just assumed."
>
>What an unusual defense, that they didn't have their act together enough to tell people what they
>had to do!
>
>Gerard has made the point that one of USAC's charters is to win medals and that most of the cycling
>medals are on the track. And Dave Bailey is absolutely right that the talent pool for track has
>vaporized over the last decade. So what the hell is going on here?
>
>Bob Schwartz [email protected]

The reply that got me was the one to Walrod.

(also on www.FixedGearFever.com)

Scott

--
-*- Scott Patton -*- Colorado Springs, CO -*- http://www.FixedGearFever.com -*- Track Racing
Web Services

Speak with your legs and not with your mouth

John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com

"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On FGF Scott says to let him know what we think. Well, being the shy, introverted type that I am I
> decided to broadcast what I think in the subject line.
>
> "USAC in fact didn't change the selection criteria, we simply had not yet published them for this
> year. Jame and Colby have complained that the selections were different to what they had been
> told, but they hadn't been told anything, they had just assumed."
>
> What an unusual defense, that they didn't have their act together enough to tell people what they
> had to do!
>
> Gerard has made the point that one of USAC's charters is to win medals and that most of the
> cycling medals are on the track. And Dave Bailey is absolutely right that the talent pool for
> track has vaporized over the last decade. So what the hell is going on here?
>
> Bob Schwartz [email protected]

And just what are YOUR legs doing to improve the state of track cycling in the US, oh wise one?

Andy Coggan

In article <MjMha.267086$F1.48116@sccrnsc04>, xzzy <[email protected]> wrote:
>Speak with your legs and not with your mouth

The problem is, USAC took away people opportunity to do what you are suggesting.

Scott

--
-*- Scott Patton -*- Colorado Springs, CO -*- http://www.FixedGearFever.com -*- Track Racing
Web Services

> And just what are YOUR legs doing to improve the state of track cycling in the US, oh wise one?
>
> Andy Coggan
>
> "xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:MjMha.267086$F1.48116@sccrnsc04...
> > Speak with your legs and not with your mouth
> >
> > John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com
> >
> > "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > On FGF Scott says to let him know what we think. Well, being the shy, introverted type that I
> > > am I decided to broadcast what I think in the subject line.
> > >
> > > "USAC in fact didn't change the selection criteria, we simply had not yet published them for
> > > this year. Jame and Colby have complained that the selections were different to what they had
> > > been told, but they hadn't been told anything, they had just assumed."
> > >
> > > What an unusual defense, that they didn't have their act together enough to tell people what
> > > they had to do!
> > >
> > > Gerard has made the point that one of USAC's charters is to win medals and that most of the
> > > cycling medals are on the track. And Dave Bailey is absolutely right that the talent pool for
> > > track has vaporized over the last decade. So what the hell is going on here?
> > >
> > > Bob Schwartz [email protected]

Currently, I am recovering from injuries sustained when a car ran over me in March 2001. What have I
done for track racing? I was on the USCF Board of Directors from 88 - 92 and implemented many
programs to aid local racing, including the track bike program. What have you done?

John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com

"Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote
> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote

[nothing]

> So Johnson's reply left you speechless too, eh, Robert? ;-)

Very nearly, and those who know me realize how unusual that is. Basically, my original response was
sputtering profanity.

Once again, cyclingnews.com shows its value in covering the story.

"xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%UMha.268755$3D1.147989@sccrnsc01...
> > And just what are YOUR legs doing to improve the state of track cycling
in
> > the US, oh wise one?
> >
> > Andy Coggan
> >
> > "xzzy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:MjMha.267086$F1.48116@sccrnsc04...
> > > Speak with your legs and not with your mouth
> > >
> > > John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com
> > >
> > > "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> Currently, I am recovering from injuries sustained when a car ran over me
in
> March 2001. What have I done for track racing? I was on the USCF Board
of
> Directors from 88 - 92 and implemented many programs to aid local racing, including the track bike
> program. What have you done?

I am sorry to hear about your accident - given that, my choice of words was unfortunate. However, I
stand by my attempt to support Bob Schwartz's right to express his opinions (though I don't always
agree with him), something that you apparently wished to stifle.

Andy Coggan

> What have I done for track racing? I was on the USCF Board of Directors from 88 - 92 and
> implemented many programs to aid local racing, including the track bike program. What have
> you done?

Although I'm sure it wasn't your intention, that underscores my point. Since 1988 the US has
taken 6 medals on the track vs 2 on the road and 1 in MtB. The period from the late 80s up to
1996 was a high point in support for the US track program and if medals are the goal then the
results showed this.

Since 1996 USAC has been bent on flushing everything that had been accomplished down the toilet.
It's a mess. It would be a tremendous improvement if we could return to the level of support we had
in the late 80s and early 90s.

scott patton <[email protected]> wrote:
> The reply that got me was the one to Walrod.

> (also on www.FixedGearFever.com)

Yeah, when I read that I though, jeez, what an... oh never mind. I mean, he's absolutely right
that a rider's ability defines their market value. Except that in the context of track racing,
there is no market. The only US trackie since Frank Kramer who was able to pay the bills while
concentrating on the track was Marty, and his value wasn't as a racer so much as an unwitting
accomplice to wire fraud.

And it's not like this is unique to the US. There are a handful of guys that can make a living at
the 6 days and there are keirin racers in Japan that do OK. But when you look at medal winners at
worlds you are looking at people who for the most part would be screwed without support from their
national federations.

In this situation the best USAC can hope for is to come off as horrendously incompetent. Any defense
makes Steve Johnson look like an asshole.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

Currently, I am recovering from injuries sustained when a car ran over me in
> March 2001. What have I done for track racing? I was on the USCF Board of Directors from 88 - 92
> and implemented many programs to aid local racing, including the track bike program. What have
> you done?
>
> John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com

Andy has helped bring up the level of elite track racing, by assisting several elite level track
athletes with their training programs...

Joey

"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Although I'm sure it wasn't your intention, that underscores my point. Since 1988 the US has
> taken 6 medals on the track vs 2 on the road and 1 in MtB. The period from the late 80s up to
> 1996 was a high point in support for the US track program and if medals are the goal then the
> results showed this.
>
> Since 1996 USAC has been bent on flushing everything that had been accomplished down the toilet.
> It's a mess. It would be a tremendous improvement if we could return to the level of support we
> had in the late 80s and early 90s.

I presume you are referring to Olympic medals. If so, you need to give less credit to the Feds and
more credit to the individuals who earned them.

If I have it straight:

1988 Connie Young sprints - Fed financial support; trained on her own 1992 Rebecca Twigg pursuit -
Some Fed financial support; trained a lot on her own (comeback year) 1992 Ervdog H. Kilo - Lots of
Fed support in all aspects 1996 Ervdog H. Kilo - Fed financial support, less fed support in other
ways 1996 Nodeberg Sprint- Lots of Fed support, was probably the primary sponsor focus for '96 2000
Nodeberg Sprint - Lots of Fed support, but a little more independent than '96

'88 was nothing special in terms of support for track riders, neither were the years leading up to
and including 1992. From 1989 thru 1992, the coaching staff was in continuous upheaval. We went from
aero tubed carbon fiber Raleighs built by Mike Melton in 1988 to round tube steel
Yamaguchi/Performance bikes in 1992.

Due to the locality of the 1984 and 1996 Games, sponsor interest and support was much greater in the
quadrenniums leading up to those games. 1984 had three major sponsors supporting track squads
(7-Eleven, SRC Raleigh, and Murray). 1996 of course had Project 96 support and the Feds actually
showed some interest in supporting the national track team financially, whereas before most of the
grants and stipends had gone to the road team.

Following 1996 was the usual collapse of support that occurs in a post Olympic year, only the
drop was greater since the amount of support had been so much better leading up to 1996 than
1988 and 1992.