Stevens Creek Software

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Cal, May 27, 2003.

  1. Cal

    Cal Guest

    I have used The Athlete's Diary since Windows 3.1 version. I have bought every upgrade the company
    has offered and was quite satisfied until I bought the XP version. It has serious bugs, foremost, if
    an error is made while entering a training session, distance, time, or pace, it cannot be corrected.
    The entry must be deleted and re-entered. I reported this to them initially on December 9, 2002 and
    they said they'd look into it. There has been no further response from them despite several e-mails
    to their "support" email address.

    I think the lastest version was "flung out" to raise some cash and they apparently have no intention
    of supporting it.

    Caveat emptor may be in order when considering Stevens Creek Software products.

    Cal Kaschub

    Tags:

  2. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "cal" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have used The Athlete's Diary since Windows 3.1 version. I have bought every upgrade the company
    > has offered and was quite satisfied until I bought the XP version. It has serious bugs, foremost,
    > if an error is made while entering a training session, distance, time, or pace, it cannot be
    > corrected. The entry must be deleted and re-entered. I reported this to them initially on December
    > 9, 2002 and they said they'd look into it. There has been no further response from them despite
    > several e-mails to their "support" email address.
    >
    > I think the lastest version was "flung out" to raise some cash and they apparently have no
    > intention of supporting it.
    >
    > Caveat emptor may be in order when considering Stevens Creek Software products.

    I reported several bugs that I found in the XP version, and found that they were all addressed
    promptly. The bug you mention is one that I've also observed, but IMHO it's so minor that it has
    never crossed my mind to report
    it.

    Andy Coggan

  3. Cal

    Cal Guest

    I would be willing to concede that the severity of the problem is less than "mission critical".
    However, in a program that is used daily to record data, an error which prevents editing of an entry
    is a huge irritation. I make my living writing custon software and my customers aren't expected to
    put up with something like this. I know they wouldn't, without asking. These people don't even have
    the decency to say, "Sorry, we don't fix errors WE consider to be insignificant and what YOU
    consider significant is of no consequence to us." But then their actions, or the lack therof, say it
    oh so clearly.

    As I said, let the buyer beware.

    Cal

  4. Rivermist

    Rivermist Guest

    My experience is similar. I don't have much of a problem with the bug that is mentioned. My problem
    is that I was charged for an upgrade which didn't have much difference from the previous. I run
    WIN98 and didn't need the XP version, I emailed and asked why they were charging for a minor
    upgrade, and was told it was a major rewrite. When I got it I was disappointed.

    I was fine with the previous version.

    It is still the best product on the market. Very quick and easy to enter data.

    If there was another one out there as good I would use it, though.

    "cal" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have used The Athlete's Diary since Windows 3.1 version. I have bought every upgrade the company
    > has offered and was quite satisfied until I bought the XP version. It has serious bugs, foremost,
    > if an error is made while entering a training session, distance, time, or pace, it cannot be
    > corrected. The entry must be deleted and re-entered. I reported this to them initially on December
    > 9, 2002 and they said they'd look into it. There has been no further response from them despite
    > several e-mails to their "support" email address.
    >
    > I think the lastest version was "flung out" to raise some cash and they apparently have no
    > intention of supporting it.
    >
    > Caveat emptor may be in order when considering Stevens Creek Software products.
    >
    > Cal Kaschub

  5. Garyg

    Garyg Guest

    "Rivermist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My experience is similar. I don't have much of a problem with the bug
    that
    > is mentioned. My problem is that I was charged for an upgrade which
    didn't
    > have much difference from the previous. I run WIN98 and didn't need the
    XP
    > version, I emailed and asked why they were charging for a minor upgrade,
    and
    > was told it was a major rewrite. When I got it I was disappointed.
    >
    > I was fine with the previous version.
    >
    > It is still the best product on the market. Very quick and easy to enter data.
    >
    > If there was another one out there as good I would use it, though.

    If you're interested in a cycling-only log (i.e., no run or swim data), you might want to check out
    CycliStats at: http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/index.htm.

    In addition to the basic ride logging/diary features, it also tracks bicycle maintenance and
    personal health data. IMHO, it's a better product, but as the author I'm quite biased. There's a
    full-featured, free, 45-day trial version on the website.

    GG