Steven's Curried Chicken

Michael \Dog3\ Lonergan

Guest
Yes, the Lord of the house decided to cook. He made his rendition of
curried chicken. It was actually really good. However it lacked
something. I'm hoping the terrific cooks on RFC can help me tweak the
recipe. I'm not into the curry type sauces. Here goes:

1 1/2 cups half and half (I woulda used cream)
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon cornstarch
6 tablespoons dry sherry (I woulda used white wine and drank the
rest of the bottle)
1 teaspoon of really good curry powder
3/4 teaspoon of salt
1/8 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper (optional... my ass)
2 cups of cooked, cubed chicken (He used 3 pounds)
1 1/2 cups of cooked rice

Preheat oven to 350. Put the 1/2 and 1/2 into a saucpan over medium heat
with the butter and allow to boil. Butter an 8x8x2 baking pan.

In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and sherry. Slowly add to the
saucepan above stirring vigorously to prevent lumping. Add curry, salt and
Cayenne and cook until the sauce has boiled and thickened. Approx. 3
minutes. Add the cooked chicken.

Put rice and chicken in buttered pan and bake, uncovered 15-25 minutes.

Okay, I may be insane but does this recipe scream for a fine dice of green
pepper?

Michael

--
“It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
_Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
<snip>

> Okay, I may be insane but does this recipe scream for a fine dice of green
> pepper?
>
> Michael

Possibly, but what strikes me is that the curry powder really needs to
be fried at some stage to release the flavour oils.

Just a thought.

Jo

In article <[email protected]>,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yes, the Lord of the house decided to cook. He made his rendition of
> curried chicken. It was actually really good. However it lacked
> something. I'm hoping the terrific cooks on RFC can help me tweak the
> recipe. I'm not into the curry type sauces. Here goes:
>
> 1 1/2 cups half and half (I woulda used cream)
> 4 tablespoons butter
> 1 tablespoon cornstarch
> 6 tablespoons dry sherry (I woulda used white wine and drank the
> rest of the bottle)
> 1 teaspoon of really good curry powder
> 3/4 teaspoon of salt
> 1/8 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper (optional... my ass)
> 2 cups of cooked, cubed chicken (He used 3 pounds)
> 1 1/2 cups of cooked rice
>
> Preheat oven to 350. Put the 1/2 and 1/2 into a saucpan over medium heat
> with the butter and allow to boil. Butter an 8x8x2 baking pan.
>
> In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and sherry. Slowly add to the
> saucepan above stirring vigorously to prevent lumping. Add curry, salt and
> Cayenne and cook until the sauce has boiled and thickened. Approx. 3
> minutes. Add the cooked chicken.
>
> Put rice and chicken in buttered pan and bake, uncovered 15-25 minutes.
>
> Okay, I may be insane but does this recipe scream for a fine dice of green
> pepper?
>
> Michael

Garlic...
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 12:04:53 +0000, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> Yes, the Lord of the house decided to cook. He made his rendition of
> curried chicken. It was actually really good. However it lacked
> something. I'm hoping the terrific cooks on RFC can help me tweak the
> recipe. I'm not into the curry type sauces. Here goes:

> 6 tablespoons dry sherry (I woulda used white wine and drank the
> rest of the bottle)

Completely different flavor.. use the dry sherry and drink the white wine.

> 1 teaspoon of really good curry powder

"really good curry powder" ... could be the culprit..
they are usually blended and vary tremendously.

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Yes, the Lord of the house decided to cook. He made his rendition of
> > curried chicken. It was actually really good. However it lacked
> > something. I'm hoping the terrific cooks on RFC can help me tweak the
> > recipe. I'm not into the curry type sauces. Here goes:
> >
> > 1 1/2 cups half and half (I woulda used cream)
> > 4 tablespoons butter
> > 1 tablespoon cornstarch
> > 6 tablespoons dry sherry (I woulda used white wine and drank the
> > rest of the bottle)
> > 1 teaspoon of really good curry powder
> > 3/4 teaspoon of salt
> > 1/8 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper (optional... my ass)
> > 2 cups of cooked, cubed chicken (He used 3 pounds)
> > 1 1/2 cups of cooked rice
> >
> > Preheat oven to 350. Put the 1/2 and 1/2 into a saucpan over medium heat
> > with the butter and allow to boil. Butter an 8x8x2 baking pan.
> >
> > In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and sherry. Slowly add to the
> > saucepan above stirring vigorously to prevent lumping. Add curry, salt

and
> > Cayenne and cook until the sauce has boiled and thickened. Approx. 3
> > minutes. Add the cooked chicken.
> >
> > Put rice and chicken in buttered pan and bake, uncovered 15-25 minutes.
> >
> > Okay, I may be insane but does this recipe scream for a fine dice of

green
> > pepper?
> >
> > Michael

> Garlic...
> --
> Om.

And onion?

kili

On Sun 05 Feb 2006 06:31:09a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jay?

> On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 12:04:53 +0000, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>
>> Yes, the Lord of the house decided to cook. He made his rendition of
>> curried chicken. It was actually really good. However it lacked
>> something. I'm hoping the terrific cooks on RFC can help me tweak the
>> recipe. I'm not into the curry type sauces. Here goes:

>> 6 tablespoons dry sherry (I woulda used white wine and
>> drank the rest of the bottle)

> Completely different flavor.. use the dry sherry and drink the white
> wine.

Definitely sherry!

>> 1 teaspoon of really good curry powder

> "really good curry powder" ... could be the culprit..
> they are usually blended and vary tremendously.

ALL curry powders are blends of spices. One teaspoon for a whole recipe is
barely a taste. Personally, I wouldn't use less than 1 tablespoon. Not
only the quality, but the characteristic flavor varies widely from one
blend to another. It's important to choose one that you like. One of my
favorites is Penzey's Sweet Curry Powder.

Onion, at least, and probably some garlic.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

Wayne Boatwright wrote on 05 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Onion, at least, and probably some garlic.

And something green...say celery, green pepper, peas, or whatever

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

On Sun 05 Feb 2006 07:42:23a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Mr Libido
Incognito?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote on 05 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Onion, at least, and probably some garlic.
>>

> And something green...say celery, green pepper, peas, or whatever

Yes, definitely. I really love peas in curry, but diced green pepper is
good, too.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Yes, the Lord of the house decided to cook. He made his rendition of
> curried chicken. It was actually really good. However it lacked
> something. I'm hoping the terrific cooks on RFC can help me tweak the
> recipe. I'm not into the curry type sauces.

I woulda used some green curry paste - available at most oriental-type
markets - but I woulda sauteed some onion, garlic and green pepper
first, then added the curry paste and stirred it a bit to bring out the
flavor and after that I woulda used coconut milk instead of the half
and half.... then add the sherry and cornflour and lastly throw in the
chicken.... I would have had the steamed rice separately too ;)

How's that for a tweak? ;)

Any curry is great with coconut milk. Ever tried musaman beef curry?
really good.

BTW, nothing stopping you having a glass or two of wine while cooking
;)

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Yes, the Lord of the house decided to cook. He made his rendition of
> curried chicken. It was actually really good. However it lacked
> something. I'm hoping the terrific cooks on RFC can help me tweak the
> recipe. I'm not into the curry type sauces. Here goes:
>
> 1 1/2 cups half and half (I woulda used cream)
> 4 tablespoons butter
> 1 tablespoon cornstarch
> 6 tablespoons dry sherry (I woulda used white wine and drank the
> rest of the bottle)
> 1 teaspoon of really good curry powder
> 3/4 teaspoon of salt
> 1/8 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper (optional... my ass)
> 2 cups of cooked, cubed chicken (He used 3 pounds)
> 1 1/2 cups of cooked rice
>
> Preheat oven to 350. Put the 1/2 and 1/2 into a saucpan over medium heat
> with the butter and allow to boil. Butter an 8x8x2 baking pan.
>
> In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and sherry. Slowly add to the
> saucepan above stirring vigorously to prevent lumping. Add curry, salt and
> Cayenne and cook until the sauce has boiled and thickened. Approx. 3
> minutes. Add the cooked chicken.
>
> Put rice and chicken in buttered pan and bake, uncovered 15-25 minutes.
>
> Okay, I may be insane but does this recipe scream for a fine dice of green
> pepper?
>
> Michael
>
> --
> "It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun."
> _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

I'd use coconut milk rather than half & half, fish sauce to taste,
about a tablespoon of palm sugar, curry paste rather than powder (red
or green), onion, garlic and peas, you've got to have peas.

Jessica

Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:

> Yes, the Lord of the house decided to cook. He made his rendition of
> curried chicken. It was actually really good. However it lacked
> something. I'm hoping the terrific cooks on RFC can help me tweak the
> recipe. I'm not into the curry type sauces.

Thai Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk

1 Tblsp. vegetable oil
4 Tsp. Thai or Indian Curry Paste (medium)
1 1/2 lb. boneless chicken breast or thighs cut into strips
1 Onion coarsely chopped
1 red pepper cut in strips
grated rind of 1 lemon
1 Tblsp. lemon juice
1 cup light coconut milk
2 Tblsp. Asian fish sauce (or soy sauce)
1/3 cup chopped fresh coriander

Heat oil in a large non stick pan
Add curry paste and stir 30 seconds
Add chicken and stir for 3 minutes
Add onion and cook for one minute
Add red pepper strips and grated peel and cook one minute
Add lemon juice, fish sauce and coconut sauce and cook until the sauce thickens.
Garnish with coriander and serve over rice.

Christine Dabney <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
posted news:[email protected]:

>>> Garlic...
>>> --
>>> Om.
>>>

>>And onion?
>>
>>kili
>>

> Ginger too.
>
> Christine

Okay, I've got garlic, onion and ginger so far. I am pleased.

Michael

--
“It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
_Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Christine Dabney <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
> posted news:[email protected]:

> >>And onion?
> >>
> >>kili
> >>

> > Ginger too.
> >
> > Christine

> Okay, I've got garlic, onion and ginger so far. I am pleased.
>
> Michael

And you will be if he adds this stuff. :~)

kili

Dave Smith <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
posted news:[email protected]:

> Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:
>
>> Yes, the Lord of the house decided to cook. He made his rendition of
>> curried chicken. It was actually really good. However it lacked
>> something. I'm hoping the terrific cooks on RFC can help me tweak the
>> recipe. I'm not into the curry type sauces.

> Dave Smith posted a lovely recipe:
>
> Thai Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk

<Recipe snipped and saved>

THAT's it!!! Lemon. Thanks to all for the tweak help. For Steven's recipe
I'll add onion, garlic, a smidge of ginger, and a squeeze of lemon along
with my green bell pepper. Yummmmm....

Michael

--
“It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
_Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dave Smith <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
> posted news:[email protected]:
>
> > Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, the Lord of the house decided to cook. He made his rendition of
> >> curried chicken. It was actually really good. However it lacked
> >> something. I'm hoping the terrific cooks on RFC can help me tweak the
> >> recipe. I'm not into the curry type sauces.

> > Dave Smith posted a lovely recipe:
> >
> > Thai Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk

> <Recipe snipped and saved>
>
> THAT's it!!! Lemon. Thanks to all for the tweak help. For Steven's

recipe
> I'll add onion, garlic, a smidge of ginger, and a squeeze of lemon along
> with my green bell pepper. Yummmmm....
>
> Michael

Sounds good, Michael! Report back, please.

kili

In article <[email protected]>,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Christine Dabney <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
> posted news:[email protected]:

> >>And onion?
> >>
> >>kili
> >>

> > Ginger too.
> >
> > Christine

> Okay, I've got garlic, onion and ginger so far. I am pleased.
>
> Michael

:)
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dave Smith <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
> posted news:[email protected]:
>
> > Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, the Lord of the house decided to cook. He made his rendition of
> >> curried chicken. It was actually really good. However it lacked
> >> something. I'm hoping the terrific cooks on RFC can help me tweak the
> >> recipe. I'm not into the curry type sauces.

> > Dave Smith posted a lovely recipe:
> >
> > Thai Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk

> <Recipe snipped and saved>
>
> THAT's it!!! Lemon. Thanks to all for the tweak help. For Steven's recipe
> I'll add onion, garlic, a smidge of ginger, and a squeeze of lemon along
> with my green bell pepper. Yummmmm....
>
> Michael

Report back!

And make sure it's FRESH ginger, not powder!

Ain't the same, no way no how!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

>>Dave Smith posted a lovely recipe:
>>
>>Thai Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk

> <Recipe snipped and saved>
>
> THAT's it!!! Lemon. Thanks to all for the tweak help. For Steven's recipe
> I'll add onion, garlic, a smidge of ginger, and a squeeze of lemon along
> with my green bell pepper. Yummmmm....
>
> Michael

IMHO its not the lemon that was missing. Note that the recipe uses the
standard technique of frying the curry in oil to bring out the oil
soluable flavors. Also consider the difference in quantity of curry.

Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:

> > Thai Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk

> <Recipe snipped and saved>
>
> THAT's it!!! Lemon. Thanks to all for the tweak help. For Steven's recipe
> I'll add onion, garlic, a smidge of ginger, and a squeeze of lemon along
> with my green bell pepper. Yummmmm....

Sorry. I thought you wanted a recipe. But if it was suggestions you were
looking for, I usually add some chopped dried apricots to curries for
sweetness, a nice balance to the sour of the lemon juice.