Steven's Curried Chicken

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yes, the Lord of the house decided to cook. He made his rendition of
> curried chicken. It was actually really good. However it lacked
> something. I'm hoping the terrific cooks on RFC can help me tweak the
> recipe. I'm not into the curry type sauces. Here goes:
>
> 1 1/2 cups half and half (I woulda used cream)
> 4 tablespoons butter
> 1 tablespoon cornstarch
> 6 tablespoons dry sherry (I woulda used white wine and drank the
> rest of the bottle)
> 1 teaspoon of really good curry powder
> 3/4 teaspoon of salt
> 1/8 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper (optional... my ass)
> 2 cups of cooked, cubed chicken (He used 3 pounds)
> 1 1/2 cups of cooked rice

The main things I would do differently would be to add onion and garlic and
about twice the amount, if not more, of curry powder.

Sautee the onion first til soft, then add the curry powder and sautee gently
for 3 or 4 more minutes. Then proceed.

"kilikini" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
posted news:[email protected]:

> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Christine Dabney <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
>> posted news:[email protected]:

>> > Ginger too.
>> >
>> > Christine

>> Okay, I've got garlic, onion and ginger so far. I am pleased.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> And you will be if he adds this stuff. :~)
>
> kili

Actually I like the dish and will put this on his hand scratched recipe.
I'll just add it and print it off. He won'e know the dif ;)

Michael

--
“It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
_Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

"rox formerly rmg" <[email protected]> hitched up their
panties and posted
news:[email protected]:

> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Yes, the Lord of the house decided to cook. He made his rendition of
>> curried chicken. It was actually really good. However it lacked
>> something. I'm hoping the terrific cooks on RFC can help me tweak the
>> recipe. I'm not into the curry type sauces. Here goes:
>>
>> 1 1/2 cups half and half (I woulda used cream)
>> 4 tablespoons butter
>> 1 tablespoon cornstarch
>> 6 tablespoons dry sherry (I woulda used white wine and drank
>> the rest of the bottle)
>> 1 teaspoon of really good curry powder
>> 3/4 teaspoon of salt
>> 1/8 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper (optional... my ass)
>> 2 cups of cooked, cubed chicken (He used 3 pounds)
>> 1 1/2 cups of cooked rice

> The main things I would do differently would be to add onion and
> garlic and about twice the amount, if not more, of curry powder.
>
> Sautee the onion first til soft, then add the curry powder and sautee
> gently for 3 or 4 more minutes. Then proceed.

More curry noted, with pleasure. BTW, the curry he used was Spice Island
which I have not stocked in 5 years. Gawd knows how old it is. Thanks to
all for the help.

Michael

--

Jo wrote:

>> Okay, I may be insane but does this recipe scream for a fine dice of
>> green pepper?

> Possibly, but what strikes me is that the curry powder really needs to be
> fried at some stage to release the flavour oils.
>
> Just a thought.

Same thought that I had. Reading the recipe, I kept wondering where the
curry powder was going to get cooked. It really needs high heat and oil (or
ghee) to release its flavors. Normally, curries are made as follows: Heat
oil in a pan, add cinnamon sticks, ginger, cloves, and/or garlic and cook
briefly. Add other seasonings (this is where the curry powder comes in) and
onions, cook for a while, then lower the heat, add everything else, and cook
through.

Bob

Penzey's Maharaja Curry, maybe some Garam Masala and don't forget the
chutney.

"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> hitched up their panties
and posted news:[email protected]:

> Jo wrote:
>
>>> Okay, I may be insane but does this recipe scream for a fine dice of
>>> green pepper?

>> Possibly, but what strikes me is that the curry powder really needs
>> to be fried at some stage to release the flavour oils.
>>
>> Just a thought.

> Same thought that I had. Reading the recipe, I kept wondering where
> the curry powder was going to get cooked. It really needs high heat
> and oil (or ghee) to release its flavors. Normally, curries are made
> as follows: Heat oil in a pan, add cinnamon sticks, ginger, cloves,
> and/or garlic and cook briefly. Add other seasonings (this is where
> the curry powder comes in) and onions, cook for a while, then lower
> the heat, add everything else, and cook through.
>
> Bob

Excellent advice Bob and Jo. I'm a novice, especially with curry. Next
time I order from Penzeys I'll get some decent curry. Actually, I might
just run over to Maplewood and pick some up. Parking is a pain though.

Michael

--
“It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
_Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

> Jo wrote:
>
> >> Okay, I may be insane but does this recipe scream for a fine dice of
> >> green pepper?

> > Possibly, but what strikes me is that the curry powder really needs to be
> > fried at some stage to release the flavour oils.
> >
> > Just a thought.

> Same thought that I had. Reading the recipe, I kept wondering where the
> curry powder was going to get cooked. It really needs high heat and oil (or
> ghee) to release its flavors. Normally, curries are made as follows: Heat
> oil in a pan, add cinnamon sticks, ginger, cloves, and/or garlic and cook
> briefly. Add other seasonings (this is where the curry powder comes in) and
> onions, cook for a while, then lower the heat, add everything else, and cook
> through.
>
> Bob

Boy, that's not how I make curried stuff. I make a white sauce and add
about a tsp of curry powder to it.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-4-2006, Masa

Bob Terwilliger <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

> Same thought that I had. Reading the recipe, I kept wondering
> where the curry powder was going to get cooked. It really
> needs high heat and oil (or ghee) to release its flavors.
> Normally, curries are made as follows: Heat oil in a pan,
> add cinnamon sticks, ginger, cloves, and/or garlic and cook
> briefly. Add other seasonings (this is where the curry powder
> comes in) and onions, cook for a while, then lower the heat,
> add everything else, and cook through.

Yes, I always sear powdered curry spices in oil, but Mrs. Pope
claims searing them in a dry, unoiled pan works as well, and
it seems to.

Steve