stgeorge / brw triathlon

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by dejonica, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. dejonica

    dejonica New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2003
    hi,
    anyone done this before?
    my workplace has entered a team for 4 years running but i've never entered. I've not even done a triathlon before.
    A few of us who entered as a team for the 'around the bay' are keen on entering this time around but i was hoping to get some hints / experiences from others before over commiting myself:)

    At the moment, the 4km run seems a bit of a challenge and at this stage i doubt i could swim 400m in a pool let alone in open water. I figure it's 4 months away and if i have a good training schedule, i could probably slowly do the run and swim.

    So any hints / tips for training etc?

    Tags:

  2. Cletus75

    Cletus75 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2003
    Dejonica,
    There are two triathlon series running in Melb (IMG & Gatorade) at the moment, probably just as many (if not more) in Sydney and at least one that I know of in Brisbane (Look).

    All of these run two categories - beginner and sprint. The sprint is about the same distance as the BRW, the beginner ones about half that.

    There's one on two Sundays out of three so it would be worth having a go at one of these beginner races to start with, and maybe move into the sprints by February. This is over and above your training of course, but it gives you a feel for what's involved in the various disciplines and of course, it's fun!

    Cheers,
    Cletus

  3. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "dejonica" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > hi, anyone done this before? my workplace has entered a team for 4
    years

    Yep.

    > running but i've never entered. I've not even done a triathlon before.
    > few of us who entered as a team for the 'around the bay' are keen on entering this time around but
    > i was hoping to get some hints / experiences from others before over commiting myself:)

    You can obviously ride so that is not a problem. Running, while painful (at least for me), is easily
    grasped by most people and if you can't run, walking is an easy alternative. Swimming is the tricky
    part for most people - fear, combined with "not having swum since high school" can do that! :)

    > At the moment, the 4km run seems a bit of a challenge and at this
    stage
    > i doubt i could swim 400m in a pool let alone in open water. I figure it's 4 months away and if i
    > have a good training schedule, i could probably slowly do the run and swim.
    >
    > So any hints / tips for training etc?

    Assuming you know how to swim and run, you should be able to do this race no problems. The first
    thing would be to jump in a pool and try swimming some laps to see how far you can get. It'll feel
    terrible at the start and you wont be able to get enough air and you'll have to rest at each end
    between laps, etc. but it does get better the more you do it. You will quickly get to the level you
    need to swim 400m. Then you might try some open-water swimming. Waves, salt water, no lines, no lane
    ropes due play on your mind but if you focus on getting to the end, you're there. Maybe see if your
    local pool runs swim/stroke classes - they are a good way to learn better technique - even if you
    can only manage some dodgy freestyle, they should be helpful. While doing this, say, after a ride in
    the morning, start doing some running in the evening. Start small. Run around the block and see how
    you feel. If you have to walk - walk. You will quickly adjust to the running and walk less, run
    more. Run on alternative days, i.e. Mon Wed Fri with rest days in between, because if you don't
    often run.. you WILL be sore afterwards! There are heaps of ideas for training and tips on the 'net
    that I can dig up or you can google for.

    Once you are happy with all the distances and disciplines, you will make huge savings in your
    sprint-tri times by working on your transitions. In my first one, I messed up by doing things like
    putting my helmet on before my shirt, then having to take my helmet off and put the shirt and helmet
    back on. Since then, when I set my bike up in transition, I stack everything in the correct order
    for me to put it on. You can also do things like wear no socks and use elastic laces in your shoes.
    I wore board shorts in my first one too.. which got soggy after the swim and started catching on the
    seatpost.. if you can get over the lycra thing - I recommend wearing tri-specific clothes.

    It's really good fun and quite tricky for a 'plain ol' cyclist' to get used to the swimming and
    running but that makes it even better when you cross the finish line (or transition line!).

    Where are you based? I know Hawthorn Aquatic Centre has stroke technique classes and assuming you
    have some runners, you can run anywhere.

    Tri these links too: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/starting_from_scratch.htm
    http://www.winningmag.com/training/beginner/first.shtml http://www.trifind.com/bgnrs.html

    Well, there's a brief starting point... hth... hippy

  4. dejonica

    dejonica New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2003
    Hey thanks for the replies / tips and info guys:)
    tis much appreciated!
    Overall i think the most frightening part is the idea of me running around in a pair of lycra speedo type things and a lycra crop top of sorts (going by photo's of last years work team jersey's etc) :)

    I'm hoping to knock off a few kilo's before the event so i look less like an egg with two blue rubber bands stretched around it:)

  5. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "dejonica" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey thanks for the replies / tips and info guys:) tis much
    appreciated!
    > Overall i think the most frightening part is the idea of me running around in a pair of lycra
    > speedo type things and a lycra crop top of sorts (going by photo's of last years work team
    > jersey's etc) :)

    Yes. First one must overcome "lycra fear" then one must move past the fear of the "wavy water". Only
    then can one consider moving faster in multi-discipline sport. ;-)

    > I'm hoping to knock off a few kilo's before the event so i look less like an egg with two blue
    > rubber bands stretched around it:)

    hehe that's a great analogy :)

    You could always try for some more coverage and get fatigue shorts (like knicks, without the spongy
    chamois) rather than the bikini style.

    hippy