STI 10 speed upgrade questions

My 10 year old Colnago is now becoming my rain and commuting bike, but
it needs work. The rear wheel is shot--just doesn't stay true, and my
left 8-speed Ultegra STI shifter is toast. I want to get this bike back
on the road as economically as possible, but if I can swing it, upgrade
to 10 speed since I have a spare set of Mavic wheels that are 10 speed.
My question is this: Can I just replace the broken STI shifters with a
10speed version or do I need new front and rear derailleurs too? Also,
will my 10 year old Ultegra cranks work? Someone told me I had to
upgrade that as well. (No !!!!) Finally, will a 10 speed wheel fit the
frame of a 1996 Colnago? Did drop out width get bigger since the advent
of 10 speed or am I OK. I know that's a lot to choke down! Thanks for
any or all answers...

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My 10 year old Colnago is now becoming my rain and commuting bike, but
> it needs work. The rear wheel is shot--just doesn't stay true, and my
> left 8-speed Ultegra STI shifter is toast. I want to get this bike back
> on the road as economically as possible, but if I can swing it, upgrade
> to 10 speed since I have a spare set of Mavic wheels that are 10 speed.
> My question is this: Can I just replace the broken STI shifters with a
> 10speed version or do I need new front and rear derailleurs too? Also,
> will my 10 year old Ultegra cranks work? Someone told me I had to
> upgrade that as well. (No !!!!) Finally, will a 10 speed wheel fit the
> frame of a 1996 Colnago? Did drop out width get bigger since the advent
> of 10 speed or am I OK. I know that's a lot to choke down! Thanks for
> any or all answers...

Most "economical" way possible - stay 8 speed. If the RIGHT side STI shifter
still works, why not replace the broken left STI with a downtube shifter,
fix your rear wheel and RIDE! Remember, your left 8 speed STI shifter
controls the FRONT chainrings. Thus, you could "be like Lance" and use a
downtube in its place. With a downtube shifter, not only would will you save
money, you'll save weight too!

[email protected] wrote:
> My 10 year old Colnago is now becoming my rain and commuting bike, but
> it needs work. The rear wheel is shot--just doesn't stay true, and my
> left 8-speed Ultegra STI shifter is toast. I want to get this bike back
> on the road as economically as possible, but if I can swing it, upgrade
> to 10 speed since I have a spare set of Mavic wheels that are 10 speed.
> My question is this: Can I just replace the broken STI shifters with a
> 10speed version or do I need new front and rear derailleurs too? Also,
> will my 10 year old Ultegra cranks work? Someone told me I had to
> upgrade that as well. (No !!!!) Finally, will a 10 speed wheel fit the
> frame of a 1996 Colnago? Did drop out width get bigger since the advent
> of 10 speed or am I OK. I know that's a lot to choke down! Thanks for
> any or all answers...

Just the shifters, as long s the 8s Ultegra is not worn out, it will
work fine with 10s STI. Crank is fine w/o any changes. 10s is the same
rear spacing as 8s and 9s....BUT I hear the Colnago crying from
here...get some Campag ERGO, RD, all else is fine, a shimano 9s cogset
and chain, go ride OR, new Campag rear wheel, 10s cogset and chain...

Any left shifter will work fine, doesn't have to be 8sp. I found a new left
hand RX100 shifter on Ebay for £25.......Cranks will be fine. I run a mix of
7, 8, 9sp, Shimano bits without any problems.

Neil

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My 10 year old Colnago is now becoming my rain and commuting bike, but
> it needs work. The rear wheel is shot--just doesn't stay true, and my
> left 8-speed Ultegra STI shifter is toast. I want to get this bike back
> on the road as economically as possible, but if I can swing it, upgrade
> to 10 speed since I have a spare set of Mavic wheels that are 10 speed.
> My question is this: Can I just replace the broken STI shifters with a
> 10speed version or do I need new front and rear derailleurs too? Also,
> will my 10 year old Ultegra cranks work? Someone told me I had to
> upgrade that as well. (No !!!!) Finally, will a 10 speed wheel fit the
> frame of a 1996 Colnago? Did drop out width get bigger since the advent
> of 10 speed or am I OK. I know that's a lot to choke down! Thanks for
> any or all answers...

In article
<[email protected]>
,
[email protected] wrote:

> My 10 year old Colnago is now becoming my rain and commuting bike, but
> it needs work. The rear wheel is shot--just doesn't stay true, and my
> left 8-speed Ultegra STI shifter is toast. I want to get this bike back
> on the road as economically as possible, but if I can swing it, upgrade
> to 10 speed since I have a spare set of Mavic wheels that are 10 speed.
> My question is this: Can I just replace the broken STI shifters with a
> 10speed version or do I need new front and rear derailleurs too? Also,
> will my 10 year old Ultegra cranks work? Someone told me I had to
> upgrade that as well. (No !!!!) Finally, will a 10 speed wheel fit the
> frame of a 1996 Colnago? Did drop out width get bigger since the advent
> of 10 speed or am I OK. I know that's a lot to choke down! Thanks for
> any or all answers...

Sounds like the rear wheel is not properly tensioned.
* Put a drop of oil or penetraing lubriant on each
nipple. Preferably from the inside after removing the
tire an rim tape. Let it penetrate for twenty-four
hours.

* Slack off most of the spoke tension and inspect the
rim for flat spots and bends. It could still be bent
into shape, or you can find a new rim with the same ERD
and reuse the spokes.

* Now bring the spokes back up to high tension while
keeping the rim true.

* Stress relieve the spokes.

I did not put in much detail. There are resouces for
this work.

--
Michael Press