STI Conversion on DeoreDX

Paul Kopit

Guest
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:29:44 -0700, "Andy Vrakas" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I want to convert my trusty Trek to STI (as cheaply as possible if that
>needs to be said). It has mainly 105 components, but the derailures are
>DeoreDX - 7 speed rear and triple in front with sis levers. 1) will any
>seven speed shifter work? (I assume it must be a seven speed, not _at
>least_ as seven speed?) I have seen some used 105s, Ultegras and something
>called a Tiagra or thereabouts.

I believe that if you use Campy ergo 10 sp shifters, you can keep
everything else you have and ride away. The Veloce 10 with the
cableset is <$150. Should you then acquire a Campy rear derailleur,
you can shift 8 of 9 cogs of a Shimano 9sp cassette on your 7sp
Shimano hub body.

Hello,
I want to convert my trusty Trek to STI (as cheaply as possible if that
needs to be said). It has mainly 105 components, but the derailures are
DeoreDX - 7 speed rear and triple in front with sis levers. 1) will any
seven speed shifter work? (I assume it must be a seven speed, not _at
least_ as seven speed?) I have seen some used 105s, Ultegras and something
called a Tiagra or thereabouts. 2) Have you heard of a device called the
"Gizmo" that converts a left double lever to a triple? Do they work or
should I go find a triple lever? Also, what else might I be overlooking
that I will need? New cables, right? They are special cables for STI?
Anything else. I know enough about bike mechanics to screw this up bad, but
I want to give it a shot and make an affordable upgrade....Thanks in advance
for your brilliant advice! Andy

Andy Vrakas wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to convert my trusty Trek to STI (as cheaply as possible if
> that needs to be said). It has mainly 105 components, but the
> derailures are DeoreDX - 7 speed rear and triple in front with sis
> levers. 1) will any seven speed shifter work? (I assume it must be
> a seven speed, not _at least_ as seven speed?) I have seen some used
> 105s, Ultegras and something called a Tiagra or thereabouts. 2) Have
> you heard of a device called the "Gizmo" that converts a left double
> lever to a triple? Do they work or should I go find a triple lever?
> Also, what else might I be overlooking that I will need? New cables,
> right? They are special cables for STI? Anything else. I know enough
> about bike mechanics to screw this up bad, but I want to give it a
> shot and make an affordable upgrade....Thanks in advance for your
> brilliant advice! Andy

I was just asking myself the same question. How about Sora ? There's a
picture on the page-

from http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shifters.html

Shimano SORA 7-speed STI brake/shifter units $129.95
An excellent upgrade for older bikes. They are compatible with all recent
Shimano rear derailers, all 7-speed freewheels/freehubs. Sora brifters use
the main lever to shift to larger sprockets, but have a small thumb button
to shift to smaller sprockets, similar to Campagnolo ERGO.

Sora and R600 brifters are the ONLY drop bar brake levers available that
feature a reach adjustment. This makes them a particularly excellent choice
for cyclists with short fingers. These sets include all 4 cables, and cable
stop adaptors that fit standard down-tube shifter mounts