STI Conversion on DeoreDX

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul Kopit, Jul 1, 2004.

  1. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:29:44 -0700, "Andy Vrakas" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I want to convert my trusty Trek to STI (as cheaply as possible if that
    >needs to be said). It has mainly 105 components, but the derailures are
    >DeoreDX - 7 speed rear and triple in front with sis levers. 1) will any
    >seven speed shifter work? (I assume it must be a seven speed, not _at
    >least_ as seven speed?) I have seen some used 105s, Ultegras and something
    >called a Tiagra or thereabouts.

    I believe that if you use Campy ergo 10 sp shifters, you can keep
    everything else you have and ride away. The Veloce 10 with the
    cableset is <$150. Should you then acquire a Campy rear derailleur,
    you can shift 8 of 9 cogs of a Shimano 9sp cassette on your 7sp
    Shimano hub body.

    Tags:

  2. Andy Vrakas

    Andy Vrakas Guest

    Hello,
    I want to convert my trusty Trek to STI (as cheaply as possible if that
    needs to be said). It has mainly 105 components, but the derailures are
    DeoreDX - 7 speed rear and triple in front with sis levers. 1) will any
    seven speed shifter work? (I assume it must be a seven speed, not _at
    least_ as seven speed?) I have seen some used 105s, Ultegras and something
    called a Tiagra or thereabouts. 2) Have you heard of a device called the
    "Gizmo" that converts a left double lever to a triple? Do they work or
    should I go find a triple lever? Also, what else might I be overlooking
    that I will need? New cables, right? They are special cables for STI?
    Anything else. I know enough about bike mechanics to screw this up bad, but
    I want to give it a shot and make an affordable upgrade....Thanks in advance
    for your brilliant advice! Andy

  3. trg

    trg Guest

    Andy Vrakas wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I want to convert my trusty Trek to STI (as cheaply as possible if
    > that needs to be said). It has mainly 105 components, but the
    > derailures are DeoreDX - 7 speed rear and triple in front with sis
    > levers. 1) will any seven speed shifter work? (I assume it must be
    > a seven speed, not _at least_ as seven speed?) I have seen some used
    > 105s, Ultegras and something called a Tiagra or thereabouts. 2) Have
    > you heard of a device called the "Gizmo" that converts a left double
    > lever to a triple? Do they work or should I go find a triple lever?
    > Also, what else might I be overlooking that I will need? New cables,
    > right? They are special cables for STI? Anything else. I know enough
    > about bike mechanics to screw this up bad, but I want to give it a
    > shot and make an affordable upgrade....Thanks in advance for your
    > brilliant advice! Andy

    I was just asking myself the same question. How about Sora ? There's a
    picture on the page-

    from http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shifters.html

    Shimano SORA 7-speed STI brake/shifter units $129.95
    An excellent upgrade for older bikes. They are compatible with all recent
    Shimano rear derailers, all 7-speed freewheels/freehubs. Sora brifters use
    the main lever to shift to larger sprockets, but have a small thumb button
    to shift to smaller sprockets, similar to Campagnolo ERGO.

    Sora and R600 brifters are the ONLY drop bar brake levers available that
    feature a reach adjustment. This makes them a particularly excellent choice
    for cyclists with short fingers. These sets include all 4 cables, and cable
    stop adaptors that fit standard down-tube shifter mounts