STI Levers...?

abv8

Aug 23, 2003
The current groupset on my bike is shimano 600 ultegra but with the old levers.

Is it worth upgrading to STI. Ive been told it can be done for $200-$300 aus.

it does the job at the moment but I will be starting to race soon. The frame is cro-moly with mavic double walled rims.

If you have a 7 speed rear wheel (126mm rear dropout spacing on your frame), you can upgrade to the Shimano Sora 7 speed STI levers.

For an 8 speed cassette (130mm rear dropout spacing), you can use the Sora 8 speed STI levers.

For a 9 speed cassette, you can choose from the 105, Ultegra, or Dura-Ace levers.

See Brake/shifter Units for good pictures and descriptions.

Note, if you have a 7 speed rear wheel cassette, it's also possible to use 8 of the sprockets from a 9-speed cassette, with the 9-speed spacers on a 7-speed Shimano Hyperglide Freehub - see 8 Of 9 On 7

So to upgrade i need:

- Sora sti levers
- 8 speed cassette
- new Rear free body

Can I get away with keeping my existing front and rear derailers?

If anyone hase attempted this or has any advice (positive or negative) I sure hell would like to hear it cos this is driving me nuts. Most people recommend simply buying a new bike, but being a uni student, i'd like to postpone this for a while!!!

Cheers.

:)

Originally posted by abv8
So to upgrade i need:

- Sora sti levers
- 8 speed cassette
- new Rear free body

Can I get away with keeping my existing front and rear derailers?

If anyone hase attempted this or has any advice (positive or negative) I sure hell would like to hear it cos this is driving me nuts. Most people recommend simply buying a new bike, but being a uni student, i'd like to postpone this for a while!!!

Cheers.

:)
I'm assuming you currently have a 7 speed rear wheel (if you have an 8-speed rear wheel, all you need is the Sora 8-speed STI levers).

You can save money and just get the Sora 7-speed STI levers.

However, if you want to spend more and Upgrade From 6-/7-speed (126 mm) to 8-/9-speed (130 mm) you might as well upgrade to 9 speeds, in which case you'll need:
- 9 speed STI levers
- 9 speed cassette
- 9 speed Shimano freehub body - if you can't find this for a good price, you can get a new 9 speed rear wheel
- 9 speed chain
This option is quite expensive - I would recommend just getting the 7 speed Sora STI levers.

Yes, your existing Ultegra derailler will work - see this link http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html Any Shimano SIS rear derailler should work EXCEPT for pre-1997 Dura-Ace.