STI misfunction -- ideas?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Matt O'Toole, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Yesterday I was having a problem with my right STI shifter (Ultegra). When I went to downshift, the
    lever moved freely with no resistance, literally flopping around. But when I moved it a second time,
    it shifted normally. Any offhand notions of what's going on? I haven't even investigated it myself
    yet. I've been busy, and today the garage is too cold!

    Matt O.

    Tags:

  2. Noel Llopis

    Noel Llopis Guest

    Matt O'Toole wrote:

    > Yesterday I was having a problem with my right STI shifter (Ultegra). When I went to downshift,
    > the lever moved freely with no resistance, literally flopping around. But when I moved it a second
    > time, it shifted normally. Any offhand notions of what's going on? I haven't even investigated it
    > myself yet. I've been busy, and today the garage is too cold!

    I've had the same thing happen on an older RSX STI shifter.

    The problem is that there's a small mechanical piece that is supposed to slide down as you shift
    that is not sliding and therefore not catching the mechanism that causes the gears to shift. I
    particularly see this happen in the cold, when the grease around the area hardens a bit and things
    move more sluggishly.

    I find that by moving the level more slowly, I give it more time to catch up and slide into place,
    so that might help if this happens in the middle of a ride (the worst you can do is try to move the
    lever really quickly, which was my initial reaction).

    Once at home, you can open up the STI lever and try to clean it up a bit. Oil things well and stay
    clear of grease that will harden with cold (maybe triflow would be a good choice). This has helped
    in my case, but it still happens sometimes in cold weather.

    Good luck.

    --Noel

  3. > Yesterday I was having a problem with my right STI shifter (Ultegra).
    When I
    > went to downshift, the lever moved freely with no resistance, literally
    flopping
    > around. But when I moved it a second time, it shifted normally. Any
    offhand
    > notions of what's going on? I haven't even investigated it myself yet.
    I've
    > been busy, and today the garage is too cold!

    Your levers may just need a dose of Powerlube, available at finer autoparts stores everywhere! It
    frequently "cures" STI levers with exactly the symptoms you describe.

    www.ChainReaction.com/noisystilevers.htm (go to the very bottom of the page, where it talks about
    this problem and how to fix it).

    It's also possible that you're missing a tiny screw that goes into the backside of the smaller (low-gear-
    moving) lever.

  4. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:40:53 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]>
    may have said:

    >Yesterday I was having a problem with my right STI shifter (Ultegra). When I went to downshift, the
    >lever moved freely with no resistance, literally flopping around. But when I moved it a second
    >time, it shifted normally. Any offhand notions of what's going on? I haven't even investigated it
    >myself yet. I've been busy, and today the garage is too cold!

    The lubricant in the shifter is congealing in the cold. It will cure itself when the temp comes up,
    or you can dismantle and relube the shifter with a more appropriate light oil now. (It's the small
    spring-loaded pieces which get stiff in the cold.) Or, tie a Swedish handwarmer to it a few minutes
    before you go for a ride.

    I've had the same problem with two different Shimano shifters, even here in the relatively balmy
    Houston winters. Finish Line shock oil worked well to keep them both freed up.

    it's also possible that I'm busy.

  5. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

    >> Yesterday I was having a problem with my right STI shifter (Ultegra). When I went to downshift,
    >> the lever moved freely with no resistance, literally flopping around. But when I moved it a
    >> second time, it shifted normally. Any offhand notions of what's going on? I haven't even
    >> investigated it myself yet. I've been busy, and today the garage is too cold!
    >
    > Your levers may just need a dose of Powerlube, available at finer autoparts stores everywhere! It
    > frequently "cures" STI levers with exactly the symptoms you describe.

    Well, as the others mentioned, it could very well be the cold. It's been in the 20s and 30s this
    week. So the flush/relube might work.

    > www.ChainReaction.com/noisystilevers.htm (go to the very bottom of the page, where it talks about
    > this problem and how to fix it).
    >
    > It's also possible that you're missing a tiny screw that goes into the backside of the smaller (low-gear-
    > moving) lever.

    I'll look for this. Could this be why it's harder to make the last shift into my lowest gear? (The
    lever isn't stiffer to move, but seems like I have to move it twice as far, compared to the other
    7 shifts.)

    Matt O.

  6. matt-<< Yesterday I was having a problem with my right STI shifter (Ultegra). When I went to
    downshift, the lever moved freely with no resistance, literally flopping around. But when I moved it
    a second time, it shifted normally. Any offhand notions of what's going on? >><BR><BR>

    May be dying, amy be gunked up. Check your inner wire and housing first. Try the WD-40 flush,
    followed by a thin lube..If it dies and is less than 2 years old, warranty. If greater than 2
    years...replace. Might be a good time to switch to Campagnolo ERGO and rear der...you will never
    have this problem again.