STI options on 8speed Super Galaxy

Can anyone give some advice please - have a Super Galaxy with bar end
shifters, but want to look at upgrading to Sti. Looking at the CTC
'shimergo' information, it looks like I could try Campag 10 speed ergo
levers with 8 speed shimano setup - is this correct, anyone actually
tried this ?

What other alternatives are there, rather than just Sora Sti ? Would
like to use Tiagra/105 but will this mean new chainset/cassette/rear
mech/chain etc etc ? Im also a bit put off, as I want reasonably low
gearing - 24/26 inner ring, no larger than 46/48 outer.

[email protected] wrote:
> Can anyone give some advice please - have a Super Galaxy with bar end
> shifters, but want to look at upgrading to Sti. Looking at the CTC
> 'shimergo' information, it looks like I could try Campag 10 speed ergo
> levers with 8 speed shimano setup - is this correct, anyone actually
> tried this ?

I haven't.

> What other alternatives are there, rather than just Sora Sti ? Would
> like to use Tiagra/105 but will this mean new chainset/cassette/rear
> mech/chain etc etc ? Im also a bit put off, as I want reasonably low
> gearing - 24/26 inner ring, no larger than 46/48 outer.

You wouldn't need a new chainset just for the sake of 9-speed STIs as
9-speed chains work happily enough with 7 and 8-speed chainsets, ie cranks
& chainrings. Also, Shimano 9-speed STIs index with Shimano 8-speed rear
mechs (maybe 7-speed mechs too?).

~PB

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone give some advice please - have a Super Galaxy with bar end
> shifters, but want to look at upgrading to Sti. Looking at the CTC

You can do the switch to Tiagra just with the levers, chain and cassette.
You can get the levers for £89 if you go to a Cycle Promotions
http://www.cycle-promotions.co.uk/ sale and a chain for £5. And a 9 speed
Ultegra block from
http://www.rainbowinternet.net/shops/cyclingbargains/catalogue/category25/product199
for £27.

That's how I did the conversion myself

Thanks for the advice. Ive just collected the bike today, and was
pleased to see that its fitted with a TA chainset, 22/32/44 - any ideas
if I can use Sti's with this, or am I restricted to bar end shifters
only ? Its got a sachs front mech, deore lx rear.

Also, how can I adjust the cantilevers on this - they are the older
type, dia compe, without a tension adjustment screw at the side ??

[email protected] wrote:

> Can anyone give some advice please - have a Super Galaxy with bar end
> shifters, but want to look at upgrading to Sti. Looking at the CTC
> 'shimergo' information, it looks like I could try Campag 10 speed ergo
> levers with 8 speed shimano setup - is this correct, anyone actually
> tried this ?
>
> What other alternatives are there, rather than just Sora Sti ? Would
> like to use Tiagra/105 but will this mean new chainset/cassette/rear
> mech/chain etc etc ? Im also a bit put off, as I want reasonably low
> gearing - 24/26 inner ring, no larger than 46/48 outer.

you can get better than Sora 8 speed STI's , they are called R500's as
they have no branding other than Shimano, but they are 105 quality
Parkers have them I think.

http://www.silentsports.com/store/store.asp?action=show_product&prodcode=4315

don't see any reason why they won't work on the front as well

Mbike wrote:
> You can get the levers for £89 if you go to a Cycle Promotions

That's a fair price, but I got my [brand new] Tiagra shifters for £67 on
ebay. Annoyingly, a set of Ultegra STIs went for £75 just a couple of
days later, but they were doubles and I have a triple chainset.

New/low-use STIs/ergos come up often on ebay (I suspect largely because
the hardcore roadie set are all upgrading from 9 to 10 speed) and you
can get a really good bargain if you are patient and keep checking back.

d.

[email protected] wrote:
> 22/32/44 - any ideas
> if I can use Sti's with this, or am I restricted to bar end shifters
> only ?

You only thing to worry about is getting a triple front shifter rather
than a double. If you get Tiagra, it's the same shifter. If you get 105
or upwards, they are double-specific or triple-specific.

I believe chainring spacing is the same for 8 and 9-speed setups but I
may be wrong. Maybe the rings for a 9-speed setup are slightly narrower,
but I'm fairly certain you won't have any problems with a 9-speed
chain on 8-speed chainrings. (Someone else with more knowledge than me
will have to confirm this.)

d.

"davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mbike wrote:
>> You can get the levers for £89 if you go to a Cycle Promotions

> That's a fair price, but I got my [brand new] Tiagra shifters for £67 on
> ebay.

Sometimes but I have seen them go for more than £90 as well on e-bay. So as
you say you have to keep checking.