STI or ERGO with Ultra-6 ?

Bruce Lange

Guest
Will 7-speed STI levers (RSX, 105, or Sora) or any Campy levers index in an acceptable way with a
Suntour Ultra-6 freewheel? And how about 8 speed levers?

Thanks everybody,

-Bruce-

In article <[email protected]>, Bruce Lange
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Will 7-speed STI levers (RSX, 105, or Sora) or any Campy levers index in an acceptable way with a
>Suntour Ultra-6 freewheel? And how about 8 speed levers?

Should not work with any of the above. You need a 7-speed Shimano compatible freewheel and it will
interoperate with Campy or Shimano 8 speed equipment. Keep derailleur and shifter brand matched for
best results.

Bruce-<< Will 7-speed STI levers (RSX, 105, or Sora) or any Campy levers index in an acceptable way
with a Suntour Ultra-6 freewheel? And how about 8 speed levers?

Not the ultra but probably a standard 7s frewheel due to spacing. Altho the lack of tooth prep to
enscourage index shifting may make it unusable-

A DA 7s freewheel would work fine with either shimano 7s shifters or Campagnolo
8s.

(9)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Bruce Lange wrote:
> Will 7-speed STI levers (RSX, 105, or Sora) or any Campy levers index in an acceptable way with a
> Suntour Ultra-6 freewheel? And how about 8 speed levers?

Shimano 7-speed and Campagnolo 8-speed systems both use the same 5 mm sprocket spacing, with is also
pretty close to the spacing of Ultra 6, so the indexing shouldn't be a problem.

Note however, that old Ultra 6 stuff was always known to provide rather poor _shiftint_ even though
the _indexing_ will be Ok. Some "overshoot" may be required for downshifts.

Sprockets made since the late '80s have computer-designed teeth that have gotten us all spoiled. The
Sun Tour stuff was the hot ticket in its day, but if you've become used to modern shifting, you're
likely to be dissatisfied with the shifting performance.

Sheldon "Old Frames, New Parts" Brown +------------------------------------------------+
| You can get more with a kind word and a gun | than you can with a kind word alone. | -- Al
| Capone |
+------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

"Bruce Lange" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Will 7-speed STI levers (RSX, 105, or Sora) or any Campy levers index in
an
> acceptable way with a Suntour Ultra-6 freewheel? And how about 8 speed levers?

Suntour's Accushift spacing is veriegated - the cogs are closer in the low gears than in the high
gears so that type of freewheel would need extensive modification ( to an evenly-spaced format) in
order to index with any modern system. An Ultra adds the handicap of very closely spaced cogs which
lack ramps, lack twist-teeth, lack any enhancement to downshifting. I'd be surprised if, having made
some adequate accomodation for spacing/travel, you were happy with the shifting ressponse. And
arranging appropriate spacing/travel is in itself daunting.