STI RIGHT SHIFTER PROBLEM ????

Rob

Guest
When I try to shift on my right shifter from a low gear to a higher gear, big sprocket to a smaller
sprocket(pressing the smaller lever), the brake lever travels over as well and won't allow the shift
to take place. The only way I can shift is to hold the brake lever to the right while I push the
small lever to the left and it will shift. Any solutions ???????

Thank you so much,

ROB

Hose it out with some spray Triflo. If that does nothing, replace it. I know it's a bummer, but
that's life with STI. Garry

"Rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> When I try to shift on my right shifter from a low gear to a higher gear, big sprocket to a
> smaller sprocket(pressing the smaller lever), the brake lever travels over as well and won't allow
> the shift to take place. The only way I can shift is to hold the brake lever to the right while I
> push the small lever to the left and it will shift. Any solutions ???????
>

> Thank you so much,
>

> ROB

rseet-<< When I try to shift on my right shifter from a low gear to a higher gear, big sprocket to a
smaller sprocket(pressing the smaller lever), the brake lever travels over as well and won't allow
the shift to take place.

Very common failure mode of the right STI. Can try to flush with WD-40, this may help but sounds
like a warranty to me.

DA or ultegra flitedeck? Three year waaranty on DA, two on ultegra.

This problem is very similar to some discussed in another recent thread... I have had direct
experience with no fewer than 5 such failures in the RH lever of STI systems. It is very common, and
9 out of ten times the answer is to replace the lever.

If you simply must have integrated shifting, my honest suggestion would be to move over to Campy if
you can afford it. The quality is superior and, particularly with regard to the Ergo lever, the
thoughtfulness of the design is simply way out in front of Shimano. Note that every time you brake
with your Shimano levers, the shifting mechanism internals are exposed to the elements. This is not
the case with Campy's design. Also, the Campy lever doesn't place the up- and down-shift actuators
in such close physical proximity to one-another.

The nice thing about Campy, too, is that they seem to pay more attention to quality in their 'lower'
end lines. Veloce, which is their least expensive group for a 'serious' cyclist, is on par with
Shimano's Ultegra, and costs less than Shimano 105. I have a friend who uses Veloce, and honestly I
don't see much difference between that and my wife's Chorus set-up.

The best solution, in my humble opinion, is to dump integrated shifting all together and just go
with bar-end or good ol' down-tube shifting.

Best of luck,

Michael Doleman

[email protected] (Rob) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> When I try to shift on my right shifter from a low gear to a higher gear, big sprocket to a
> smaller sprocket(pressing the smaller lever), the brake lever travels over as well and won't allow
> the shift to take place. The only way I can shift is to hold the brake lever to the right while I
> push the small lever to the left and it will shift. Any solutions ???????
>

> Thank you so much,
>

> ROB

I've never tried WD-40, but one bike mechanic suggested that to me when I had a stuck right shifter.
Another mechanic freaked out when I mentioned that suggestion, and pointed out that WD-40 contained
high MW paraffinic hydrocarbons which will gum up a shifter. Go figure. I ended up taking it into a
bike shop to get it cleaned up but not sure what they used.

http://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm

--
// Bill Cotton: Latitude N40° 03.756' W75° 06.192' / / Phone 215 663-8363 Data 215 663-8364 //
[email protected] [email protected] // [email protected] [email protected] //

"David Storm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've never tried WD-40, but one bike mechanic suggested that to me when I had a stuck right
> shifter. Another mechanic freaked out when I mentioned that suggestion, and pointed out that WD-40
> contained high MW paraffinic hydrocarbons which will gum up a shifter. Go figure. I ended up
> taking it into a bike shop to get it cleaned up but not sure what they used.
>
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > rseet-<< When I try to shift on my right shifter from a low gear to a
> higher
> > gear, big sprocket to a smaller sprocket(pressing the smaller lever), the brake lever travels
> > over as well and won't allow the shift to take place.
> >
> > Very common failure mode of the right STI. Can try to flush with WD-40,
> this
> > may help but sounds like a warranty to me.
> >
> > DA or ultegra flitedeck? Three year waaranty on DA, two on ultegra.
> >
> > Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
> > (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

"David Storm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I've never tried WD-40, but one bike mechanic suggested that to me when I had a stuck right
> shifter. Another mechanic freaked out when I mentioned that suggestion, and pointed out that WD-40
> contained high MW paraffinic hydrocarbons which will gum up a shifter. Go figure. I ended up
> taking it into a bike shop to get it cleaned up but not sure what they used.

probably WD-40....

"David Storm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I've never tried WD-40, but one bike mechanic suggested that to me when I had a stuck right
> shifter. Another mechanic freaked out when I mentioned that suggestion, and pointed out that WD-40
> contained high MW paraffinic hydrocarbons which will gum up a shifter. Go figure. I ended up
> taking it into a bike shop to get it cleaned up but not sure what they used.

Don't worry about gumming up the shifter, as the lube-flush is but a band-aid to get a few more
miles out of the lever. Once they start sticking, it's Shimano's way of telling you it's time to
warranty or buy new. Think of it as a wear indicator and you'll feel better about it ;-\ --Jim

I had a similar problem about four years ago. Flushed it with WD-40 and haven't had any problems
since (20,000 miles later).

[email protected] (Chris DuRoy) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I had a similar problem about four years ago. Flushed it with WD-40 and haven't had any problems
> since (20,000 miles later).

Wow, most don't make it that far. I've used Tri-Flow, WD-40, LPD-9, etc., and most barely last the
season. Obviously, your results may vary. --Jim

FYI. Everything you wanted to know about WD-40...and more. It's not bugle oil.

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS:

APPEARANCE Clear or slightly cloudy COLOUR Light amber ODOUR Very slight characteristic pleasant
odour SPECIFIC GRAVITY .800±.020 at 25±°C VISCOSITY 27.5±1.0 sec. Zahn#1 at 25°C FLASH POINT
(MINIMUM) 43°C open cup PERCENT NON- VOLATILE (MINIMUM) 22% by weight PERCENT VOLATILE 78% by weight
aliphatic (MAXIMUM) petroleum distillate POUR POINT Less than -73° C LOW TEMPERATURE STABILITY
Excellent COVERAGE 14m² to 24m² per litre BOILING POINT (INITIAL) 149°C(minimum) WEIGHT, applied
coating 1.7/1000 kg/m² THICKNESS .0025mm to .0076mm

PROPERTIES:

CORROSION PROTECTION: (on freshly sanded mild steel panels) EXPOSURE RESULTS Humidity(JAN-H-792) No
rust after 1000 hours Salt Spray(FED STD 151) No rust after 50 hours Salt Spray(FED STD 151) Rust
beginning after 100 hours Under actual conditions the duration of protection obtained using WD-40
will vary with the type of material being protected and the conditions of exposure. Generally, on
mild steel the protection under various conditions will be approximately as follows:
1. Covered or indoor storage 1 year or longer.
2. Protected exterior storage 6 months to 1 year.
3. Normal exterior exposure 30 to 60 days.
4. Severe exterior exposure 15 to 30 days( on or very near the beach, subject to high humidity, salt
spray and salt fog) If longer protection is desired, WD-40 should be reapplied when necessary.
LUBRICATION: Dynamic coefficient of friction BEARING PRESSURE COEFFICIENT TEST 1000 kPa 0.112
Heat-treated 4340 steel 5000 kPa 0.113 with normal blue oxide 10000 kPa 0.121 film against itself
lubricated 15000 kPa 0.131 with WD-40. 20000 kPa 0.138 30000 kPa 0.146 ELECTRICAL: Dielectric
strength ASTM D-877 12,000V. per 2.55 mm Contact resistance ASTM B-182 modified. BARE WD-40
TREATED CONTACT RESISTANCE CONTACTS CONTACTS OF FILM before cycling 0.0066 0.0083ohm .0017ohm
after 5 cycles 0.0067 0.0085ohm .0018ohm after 100 cycles 0.0069 0.0086ohm .0017ohm after 1000
cycles 0.0074 0.0085ohm .0011ohm after 20,000 cycles 0.0083 0.0098ohm .0016ohm

EFFECT ON MATERIALS:

GENERAL: Nearly all materials react to WD-40 as they would to high grade aliphatic petroleum spirits
with the same exposure, i.e., spray, quick dip or prolonged immersion. WD-40 contains no silicon,
teflon or chloroflourocarbons.

RUBBER: No visible effects on surfaces of various types of rubber sprayed with WD-40. Certain types
of rubber will swell upon prolonged immersion in WD-40.

HIGH STRENGTH STEELS(for hydrogen embrittlement): Certified SAFE according to the Lawrence Hydrogen
Effusion Test.

FABRICS: The following fabrics were exposed to WD-40 with no effect, except slight staining which
was readily removed with naptha or dry cleaning solvent: Nylon, Orlon, Wool, Dacron, Cotton.

PAINTED SURFACES: Many types of paint on various surfaces have been exposed to WD-40 with no effect.
Wax polishes and certain wax coatings may be softened by WD-40.

PLASTICS: The following plastics were immersed in WD-40 for 168 hours with no visible effects:
Polyethylene,Formica,Epoxy,Delrin,Ploypropylene,Acrylic,Vinyl,Teflon,Polyest er and Nylon.

Clear polycarbonate and polystyrene may stress craze or crack in contact with WD-40.

> distorm-<< Another mechanic freaked out when I mentioned that suggestion, and pointed out that
> WD-40 contained high MW paraffinic hydrocarbons which will gum up a shifter.
>
> What bugle oil...

Uuuhhhhhhh............. OK.