STI shifter headache

Jun 20, 2004
Okay let me start out and say that I'm an idiot and I did what you are not supposed to do and that was to take apart my sti shifters (shim 600). They weren't shifting down because the factory grease turned to sap. I was able to reassemble the front shifter after cleaning but the right (rear) is a puzzle. Does shimano have the schematic diagrams for this? I know they are assembled by a robot, but I think I can get it if I can figure out the orientation of a couple pieces. I've seem people say they've done it but I need a picture or something. thanks

Originally posted by 012910
Okay let me start out and say that I'm an idiot and I did what you are not supposed to do and that was to take apart my sti shifters (shim 600). They weren't shifting down because the factory grease turned to sap. I was able to reassemble the front shifter after cleaning but the right (rear) is a puzzle. Does shimano have the schematic diagrams for this? I know they are assembled by a robot, but I think I can get it if I can figure out the orientation of a couple pieces. I've seem people say they've done it but I need a picture or something. thanks

Ok, Many have done this and it really depends on how far you went. Shimano web site has instruction sheets for many of their products, and they come with exploded views OF THE PARTS THAT ARE SERVICABLE! if you went too far, see your local dealer for new levers.
mark

Oh man I'm glad I'm not you right now. I have a masters in engineering and couldn't even install my wife's flightdeck harness to those damned shifters... :confused:

Okay let me start out and say that I'm an idiot and I did what you are not supposed to do and that was to take apart my sti shifters (shim 600).

Hey!

You're not an idiot! I hate that non-repairable, disposable world **** and I think you are 100% right to try to do something about it yourself.

I had a shimano mtb front shifter fail, refusing to click down to the last chain ring. I took it apart and figured out the problem within about 30 minutes (small return spring had popped out of it's hole) fixed that issue, and then spent about the next four days slowly figuring out way to re-tension all the springs and fit all the little plates and pawls back together. Hell of a trick, requiring some pretty deft maneuvering, but the fact of the matter is that there was NOTHING broken or in need of replacement, just one small glitch that I could easily have fixed in an hour or two if they just provided schematics.

Yet another reason that I have Campy on my road bike.

Look, keep hacking at it, not only does it give you a great sense of accomplishnent when you finally figure it out and fix it, but using your brain like that makes if BIGGER! And I, for one, can't work on my bikes without drinking beer, and we all know what THAT does to brain cells.

Whit

:D :D

can't dissagree with whit, it should be servicable, only reason i moved from downtube shifters is that the parts became hard to get (planned obsolecence?) and with a huge amount of work , anything can be put back together. If I had a spare pair I'd send them to you out of sympathy, but I already gave them away. hope for the best.

mark

Maybe this will help:

<http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/c...r.0008.Schematic.0028.File.tmp/st_r600_ev.pdf>

Thanks for all your help and advice. Unfortunately, I need the exploded view of the interior workings of the shifter (yeah, I went that far). BUT I pulled the other one apart, cleaned it, and put it back together with minor problems, so I don't seem any reason to stop me now (besides the obvious). And I refuse to replace something that isn't broken (used shifters are selling for like $130 on ebay). So I'll just spend more time on it. And believe me, I'll let you all know when I get it done. And next time, I'm buying campy.
Ian

Thanks for all your help and advice. Unfortunately, I need the exploded view of the interior workings of the shifter (yeah, I went that far). BUT I pulled the other one apart, cleaned it, and put it back together with minor problems, so I don't seem any reason to stop me now (besides the obvious). And I refuse to replace something that isn't broken (used shifters are selling for like $130 on ebay). So I'll just spend more time on it. And believe me, I'll let you all know when I get it done. And next time, I'm buying campy.
Ian

What is missing from the exploded veiws on the link I provided?

dave, I'm looking for the breakdown of the interior components of the shifter mechanism itself. That diagram you provided just shows the levers as one whole unit. I appreciate the help though. thanks,
Ian

If I have to do mine I do it in the toilet with the door shut!

So, when some tiny, springy thingy goes flying out of the STI, it's easy to find.:D