STI shifters on 20 yr old 6 Speed Dura Ace

mgkaplan

Apr 23, 2006
I have a classic 1986 vintage road bike done in complete Dura Ace with a 6 speed casette. The bike has downtube shifters. I would like to update it if possible and if the cost is not prohibitive.

Is there any way that STI shifters could be compatible with this componentry?

it's probably best to go the whole hog and get 9 or 10sp STI's, a new rear hub, new cassette & chain, and rear derailleur (you won't know yourself :)), but, other than that, a much cheaper option would be to get some old, '90s Shimano 7 or 8sp STIs, which should index with the 6sp cassette

531Aussie said:
it's probably best to go the whole hog and get 9 or 10sp STI's, a new rear hub, new cassette & chain, and rear derailleur (you won't know yourself :)), but, other than that, a much cheaper option would be to get some old, '90s Shimano 7 or 8sp STIs, which should index with the 6sp cassette
Where would I find the old '90s Shimano 7 or 8 sp STIs?

Are you in the US? I guess ebay, your local 'trading post', or a shop that carries 2nd hand stuff.

We have a 2nd have shop here in Melbourne that still has heaps older STI-equipped bikes.

Other than that, I think the newer, cheaper 8sp levers, such as Shimano Sora would shift with 6sp, but I'm not 100% sure about that

531Aussie said:
Are you in the US? I guess ebay, your local 'trading post', or a shop that carries 2nd hand stuff.

We have a 2nd have shop here in Melbourne that still has heaps older STI-equipped bikes.

Other than that, I think the newer, cheaper 8sp levers, such as Shimano Sora would shift with 6sp, but I'm not 100% sure about that
Thank you.

I will check with my local shop.

I have also found a few 7 speed used shifters on ebay. I will speak with my local bike shop about whether they would fit.

By the way, I had a great time during the 2 1/2 weeks that I spent in Australia in 1993. Great people in a beautiful country.

mgkaplan said:
By the way, I had a great time during the 2 1/2 weeks that I spent in Australia in 1993. Great people in a beautiful country.
1993? well, it's even better now -- the roads are better for cycling :)