STI shifting and Sturmey Archer 3 speed?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Andrew, Jun 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I'm thinking about building up an old road frame with just a three speed hub. But I find those
    Sturmey Archer trigger shift levers to be rather ponderous and unsightly. Anyone have any experience
    shifting an SA three speed with something else? I have down-tube shifters (friction and index),
    bar-cons, Grip shift, STI and Rapid Fire all at my disposal. Any suggestions? Thanks. Andrew

Tags:

2. Marcus Coles

Marcus Coles Guest

Andrew wrote:
    > I'm thinking about building up an old road frame with just a three speed hub. But I find those
    > Sturmey Archer trigger shift levers to be rather ponderous and unsightly. Anyone have any
    > experience shifting an SA three speed with something else? I have down-tube shifters (friction
    > and index), bar-cons, Grip shift, STI and Rapid Fire all at my disposal. Any suggestions?
    > Thanks. Andrew

I don't know if they are still available but Sturmey Archer did have a three speed twist grip
    shifter at one point.

I have read on the web of the modification of an index wheel to allow shifting of a hub gear, but
    can't remember where.

Friction Shifting can be a painfull experience if you hit neutral.

The top tube shifter from an old muscle bike might be a good conversation piece. ;)

Marcus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.